Glass-is Shymalan back?

Varysblackfyre321

4 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Sheeit. I decided a few days ago that unless reviews are overwhelming positive I'll wait for streaming.

Yeah, I've adopted the same policy. It seems when the expectations to do well are there shyamalan buckles. Most reviews have said Willis's character is almost a non entity which to me is a massive shame as i was seeing this film as the continuation of his story moreso than the other characters (although i possibly shouldn't have given  the film's name)

I haven't seen it yet, but the reviews I've seen have hardly been positive, outside of a couple of aspects. 

I thought Split was a typical M.Night movie, it had tons of potential, did quite a few things really well, McAvoy was brilliant.. and then goes and spoils it all by doing something stupid like.. crawling up a wall.

Yeah I was pretty damn pumped for this after moderately enjoying Split and seeing Willis at the end.  Unbreakable is one of my favorites and might be the most underrated movie of the past 30 years in my book.  Then I read the reviews.  I'll still probably see it in the next week or so, but already disappointed with lowered expectations.

I went to see the film yesterday. Overall, I thought it was reasonably good despite some ludicrous moments. As in Split, I thought McAvoy was the highlight, he really seemed to be having fun playing all the different personalities. I thought Anya Taylor-Joy was good in Split as well, and she's good here again although not given as much to do. I like that they've brought back most of the original cast from Unbreakable, not just Willis and Jackson but also the actors who played David's son and Glass's mother. As a belated sequel to Unbreakable I think it worked quite well - although I think Unbreakable is the better film, it does still manage to have a different feel to normal superhero movies that's a bit more grounded than something like the Marvel films (although the pseudoscience about the Beast's abilities is silly). The finale is maybe a bit small-scale compared to most superhero film finales, but after so many films ending with huge CGI battles I think having something a bit simpler works better.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah I was pretty damn pumped for this after moderately enjoying Split and seeing Willis at the end.  Unbreakable is one of my favorites and might be the most underrated movie of the past 30 years in my book.  Then I read the reviews.  I'll still probably see it in the next week or so, but already disappointed with lowered expectations. 

I think I'd probably say it was a bit better than Split but not as good as Unbreakable.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, DMC said:

Its a film that starts out well. Unbreakable is a top 15 film for me, and I've seen a lot, it is very high on my list of favorites.

I've been looking forward to Glass for a good while. Having seen it last week I must say that overall it is a disappointing film.

It starts out quite interesting. Sure it is contrived how all 3 of them end up in the psych hospital so soon but ok. At least it has Willis and his son from Unbreakable being the son here again remains a nice touch throughout. There are some nice moments in the film where the son recollects scenes from Unbreakable, like his dad powerlifting weights even very big guys in the gym couldn't do, but I suppose it is typical that those moments are favorite recollections of mine. Willis and Sam Jackson are good in this film. It's the ending though that kills this film. It just sucks. It sucks so bad, it is so devoid of any joy or value for me that it just loses a lot of review stars because of this. There is a twist, and in now typical Shyamalan fashion, it sucks, Characters I realy liked come to a crippling poor end. It was a decent watch for a long time but the the denouement of all of Mr Glass' plans is just .....

Archived