Jump to content

Strange Things That Just... Do It For You


Secretary of Eumenes

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

Yep, one of my very favorite things to do - sit by the fire in the back yard (I live in North Dakota, so...weather permitting).  Our family room fire place is gas-burning (I know, I know, giving up the real thing there for convenience).  I like the fireplace in our house, especially in the dead of winter, but I love the backyard fire.  The rest of the family has a pretty short attention span for it but you'll often find me still hanging out by the fire (probably enjoying an adult beverage or three) long after they've given up;)

A thousand times, ^this^ 

Any time there's some kind of excuse to get an open fire going I'm not only all over it, I'll be collecting fuel long after the dullards have roasted their marshmallows and gone inside to watch The Masked Singer or whatever travesty passes for television programming these days.

Of particular confusion to me is the common assertion "it's cold." 

Bitch, there's a fucking fire

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finding the shortest line when checking out at a grocery store or seeing an employee open a new checkout lane and you're the first customer to go over there. I always found that satisfying because I hate grocery shopping and I want to get through it as fast as I possibly can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also like fire. 

However, the thing that pops into my mind when I read this thread is jumping in a video game.  Like the space bar in WoW or I think it's the X in Horizon.  Just jump up and down for no reason at all. 

Also my car has the camera view that looks like a camera is floating directly above the car.  So you can see everything around you at once including the parking space lines and such.  I am still amazed by it and will engage it whenever I can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Inkdaub said:

I also like fire. 

However, the thing that pops into my mind when I read this thread is jumping in a video game.  Like the space bar in WoW or I think it's the X in Horizon.  Just jump up and down for no reason at all. 

Also my car has the camera view that looks like a camera is floating directly above the car.  So you can see everything around you at once including the parking space lines and such.  I am still amazed by it and will engage it whenever I can.

Jumping off stuff in video games. From a great height. It's exhilarating imaging the mess of goop your character should make when the splatter.. they don't of course but the thought is there! My favourite was walking off the bridge of Kazad-düm in LOTRO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Does anyone else like the smell of petrol you get when you’re filling up your car?.

I actually do occasionally get like a jolt of energy when gassing up, I actually have a crazy and entirely unsupported theory as to why.

Short version would be to say that we know fuel is valuable, and humans have a naturally covetous streak that I think can get triggered by smells and sounds and images. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I actually do occasionally get like a jolt of energy when gassing up, I actually have a crazy and entirely unsupported theory as to why.

Short version would be to say that we know fuel is valuable, and humans have a naturally covetous streak that I think can get triggered by smells and sounds and images. 

I could get behind that theory, it actually makes a lot of sense.

Weirdly it’s only gas I like the smell of, my last car before this was diesel and I used to hate the smell of that and it’s just greasy and ew.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I actually do occasionally get like a jolt of energy when gassing up, I actually have a crazy and entirely unsupported theory as to why.

Short version would be to say that we know fuel is valuable, and humans have a naturally covetous streak that I think can get triggered by smells and sounds and images. 

Hey, a calorie is a calorie!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Hey, a calorie is a calorie!

Your doctor doesn't want you to know this but, drinking gasoline = permanent cure for flatulence.

#irony. #rawgasolinemike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/27/2019 at 5:12 AM, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I’d rather you didn’t :P.

So true story, I was hosting a friend and her lover at what might tentatively be called a 'party' about six or eight weeks ago. At some point I became engaged in conversation with aforementioned lover of female friend. 

Now there was a 4th person present, a colleague, of masculine disposition. We were having a good time, as one does, taking shits on Nazis. In fact, person 4 (let's call him 'D') has over the years infected me with a brand of disgust towards National Socialism that can be exercised purely from a logistics perspective that is very enjoyable to discuss and deride the mythical "efficiency" of the Nazis.

But I digress. 

'D' and I were disparaging Nazis and specifically I recall Mengele being the topic, of course to give to our bodies the depravity of our conversation we drank enormously, when lover of female friend (let's call him 'C') approached. 

A distressingly short amount of time passed before 'C' lamented "you know, Eugenics gets a bad rap because of Nazis."

At which point 'D' and myself, drunk on Tequila and repellent subject matter, attempted to inform this fucking idiot that Eugenics is not 'given a bad rap because of Nazis', rather it is a fake science that Nazis used to justify their monstrosity. He was not to be deterred. He, quite patiently I have to admit(!), began to explain why Eugenics is just 'the husbandry of humans' (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and is only associated with Nazism by people who are dumb.

This happened. In my fucking house. A man told me and an actual smart person sitting next to me that if we thought Eugenics was, yknow, evil? Then we were dumb. In my fucking HOME. Unfortunately 'D' prevented great violence by directing me outside to smoke prodigious amounts of pot (this 'C' creature dislikes on moral grounds the weedz) until I think it became clear we weren't going to stop or come back inside and they left. 

Now a little joke we enjoy is "let me share my thoughts on Eugenics..."

It goes without saying that I have not responded to text or call from former female friend since and have no intention to do so. If she gonna let something like that put its dick in her then I can't risk catching her stupid. 

This has been Catching Up With Jace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2019 at 4:05 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

So true story, I was hosting a friend and her lover at what might tentatively be called a 'party' about six or eight weeks ago. At some point I became engaged in conversation with aforementioned lover of female friend. 

Now there was a 4th person present, a colleague, of masculine disposition. We were having a good time, as one does, taking shits on Nazis. In fact, person 4 (let's call him 'D') has over the years infected me with a brand of disgust towards National Socialism that can be exercised purely from a logistics perspective that is very enjoyable to discuss and deride the mythical "efficiency" of the Nazis.

But I digress. 

'D' and I were disparaging Nazis and specifically I recall Mengele being the topic, of course to give to our bodies the depravity of our conversation we drank enormously, when lover of female friend (let's call him 'C') approached. 

A distressingly short amount of time passed before 'C' lamented "you know, Eugenics gets a bad rap because of Nazis."

At which point 'D' and myself, drunk on Tequila and repellent subject matter, attempted to inform this fucking idiot that Eugenics is not 'given a bad rap because of Nazis', rather it is a fake science that Nazis used to justify their monstrosity. He was not to be deterred. He, quite patiently I have to admit(!), began to explain why Eugenics is just 'the husbandry of humans' (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and is only associated with Nazism by people who are dumb.

This happened. In my fucking house. A man told me and an actual smart person sitting next to me that if we thought Eugenics was, yknow, evil? Then we were dumb. In my fucking HOME. Unfortunately 'D' prevented great violence by directing me outside to smoke prodigious amounts of pot (this 'C' creature dislikes on moral grounds the weedz) until I think it became clear we weren't going to stop or come back inside and they left. 

Now a little joke we enjoy is "let me share my thoughts on Eugenics..."

It goes without saying that I have not responded to text or call from former female friend since and have no intention to do so. If she gonna let something like that put its dick in her then I can't risk catching her stupid. 

This has been Catching Up With Jace.

:o Shit, I really think you handled it pretty well given the circumstances.

The fact that he is pro Eugenics yet anti recreational drug use just makes him an even worse human being, was asking him to leave being mooted between you and 'D'?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

:o Shit, I really think you handled it pretty well given the circumstances.

The fact that he is pro Eugenics yet anti recreational drug use just makes him an even worse human being, was asking him to leave being mooted between you and 'D'?.

Nice word usage! 10/10

Yeah, I was extremely angry and had thoughts of dragging him into oncoming traffic but 'D' cautioned me against even going back inside. I was conflicted at the time over female friend, I actually wanted to just throw the insane man out and 'of course she will understand and be on my side' but I knew that confronting the monster would leave her in a position where she would defend him. So I quite cowardly just avoided the confrontation.

I am not proud of how I conducted myself in that moment, while I also know 'D' did the "right" thing in preventing me from husbanding that worm's face to my waffle iron.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Nice word usage! 10/10

Yeah, I was extremely angry and had thoughts of dragging him into oncoming traffic but 'D' cautioned me against even going back inside. I was conflicted at the time over female friend, I actually wanted to just throw the insane man out and 'of course she will understand and be on my side' but I knew that confronting the monster would leave her in a position where she would defend him. So I quite cowardly just avoided the confrontation.

I am not proud of how I conducted myself in that moment, while I also know 'D' did the "right" thing in preventing me from husbanding that worm's face to my waffle iron.

:D you sound like how I would be in that situation, I'm usually pretty chilled and friendly but if someone is that bigger idiot you just want to hurt them then kick them out.

Have you considered talking to your friend about him?, I'm going out on a limb and saying, with views like that he's likley going to turn out to be a lousy bf!.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/29/2019 at 5:10 PM, Jace, Basilissa said:

Nice word usage! 10/10

Yeah, I was extremely angry and had thoughts of dragging him into oncoming traffic but 'D' cautioned me against even going back inside. I was conflicted at the time over female friend, I actually wanted to just throw the insane man out and 'of course she will understand and be on my side' but I knew that confronting the monster would leave her in a position where she would defend him. So I quite cowardly just avoided the confrontation.

I am not proud of how I conducted myself in that moment, while I also know 'D' did the "right" thing in preventing me from husbanding that worm's face to my waffle iron.

You did the right thing. Scraping face bits off of a waffle iron is damned annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a strange one - names from the Basque Country.

A small selection of Athletic Bilbao football players, for example:

Andoni Zubizarreta

Iker Muniain

Ander Iturraspe

Mikel Balenziaga

Rafael Iriondo

Andoni Goikoetxea

Markel Susaeta

 

They just roll nicely off the tongue, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...