The Passage - TV spoilers but please spoiler tag book discussion

red snow

I thought I'd give the show the kiss of death by creating a thread. I know there's enough fans of the books so maybe that will draw in TV viewers. For now though I'd like to keep this as a thread for the show. Feel free to discuss the show but please try and refrain from mentioning book spoilers (I know myself it's hard as it's part of my fascination with the show seeing how they adapt it). So pop book spoilers in spoiler tags please. If it turns out only those who've read the books are watching we can alter as I suspect there'll be lots of spoiler tags - there will be from me at least. I'll try and preface spoiler tags with "from the book" in case TV only folk accidentally think they are ok to click because they've seen the show - they're not!

Ok - so my thoughts on episode one

I'm actually pretty excited about where this goes now having seen episode 1. I was slightly worried about the casting of Wolghast (mainly because I had the mental image of Michael Shannon in my head when reading and not a much younger/photogenic actor) but the actor really won me over and the chemistry between him and Amy works and as I was watching I realised how VITAL it was they got that chemistry right because it could very easily have come off super creepy (it never crossed my mind in the books because I knew what Wolghast was thinking. It was also fun to see all the characters in place from the start knowing how some of them will have much bigger roles as it goes along. Still - I'm concerned the show is taking a major risk on their telling of the story but it'll be pretty cool to (book spoilers)

see them pull of the act 2 switch if the show catches on. My fear is they'll chicken out.

The underwhelming use of Fleetwood Mac's the chain was unforgiveable. That song should enhance any TV/film show it's put in see GOTG2 and The Americans as prime examples but it's use here fell flat - maybe because it was muted and playing within the show?

With these shows it's always hard to separate "do I like it because I like the books or does it stand on its own". But several of my friends who haven't read the book were intrigued by the pilot. They all enjoy Walking Dead  and some of them even watched "the strain" so I guess this show doesn't need to be that great to have a following :)

Regarding the structure (book spoilers to follow)

I still think copying the structure of the book is a mistake for a TV show that isn't binge released or simply a movie. I found the switch to post apocalypse centuries later quite rough in the book but I think it could be a really rough ride doing it as a serialised story. Already critics are complaining about the tone/pedestrian plot and I fear they are losing their target audience by adhering to the book. Personally I'd have done a split narrative and had the last 15-20 minutes include the main storyline. That would have provided the shock but also have informed viewers (and critics) that there's more to the show than appears. Given the popularity of the Walking Dead, if anything I'd have gone with the future setting as the main thrust of the show and provide the backstory in flashbacks. That said the first half of the passage is my favourite part of the whole series so I'm pleased they aren't skipping it. Although I do wonder how long they'll spend on this segment of the show? There's apparently 10 episodes so I think that could easily be the first act of book 1 (although they drop episode titles/descriptions by episode 5 so maybe not). It's a gamble in TV storytelling not to have the main story turn up until season 2 (and the first colony arc/characters are the only ones who feature in all three books)

Spoiler

This is one of my favorite book series. I liked the pilot and I'm happy that they decided to take it slow and get viewers emotionally invested in Amy and Brad. This will hopefully keep viewers coming back after the Act 2 switch. I'm also expecting them to figure out a way to keep Wolgast more involved in the story after the time jump because of this. 

What are your thoughts on Sister Lacey being left out completely? I'm guessing they are going to combine her character with the Dr. Sykes character. She will be the one waiting for Amy at the end of the first book, and the one to take down Babcock. 

11 hours ago, JJ Lannister said:
  Hide contents

This is one of my favorite book series. I liked the pilot and I'm happy that they decided to take it slow and get viewers emotionally invested in Amy and Brad. This will hopefully keep viewers coming back after the Act 2 switch. I'm also expecting them to figure out a way to keep Wolgast more involved in the story after the time jump because of this. 

What are your thoughts on Sister Lacey being left out completely? I'm guessing they are going to combine her character with the Dr. Sykes character. She will be the one waiting for Amy at the end of the first book, and the one to take down Babcock. 

Book spoiler

or have wolghast have the role of sister lacey somehow? I guess wolghast was present in the future story of the books but as a more ethereal version.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Love the books.  I have no desire to watch the show.  It will never look the way I imagined.

My concern is usually more it not hitting the story and emotional beats but i get the visual thing. Another thing is the quality of the writing is going to be hard to translate as it wasn't simply the dialogue.

After 3 episodes, I really like where they are taking the story. Keeping it very close to the books but making it their own at the same time. Putting the focus on Brad and Amy but also giving us back story on Babcock. Very happy with it so far. 

I am quite enjoying it.

Although what the heck is up with the 'scientist' chick's* accent? Sometimes it's British (we looked it up and apparently she is British) but it is wandering all over the place - is she meant to sound like an American? It's rather distracting.

Also, good job by Desmond (from Lost) on providing the worst example of wearing a lab coat I've ever seen on telly (yes, I mean it was worse than House). One of his 'lab coat' lapels had a button hole on it, like you'd have on a suit for - wearing a button hole flower! Stupendously bad.

*more bad science in this ep, ooh, that pandemic bird flu from China is still another 60 days away? DOES THIS TIMELINE NOT HAVE AIR TRAVEL? Does anyone working on the show recall the SARS epidemic where it travelled across the world in 24 hours? How? BY PLANE, OBVIOUSLY.

Catching up after a holiday. Episode 2 continues to build on the main relationship and the flashbacks are a surprise

incorporating some of the third book?

There was some choppy editing in places though that felt a bit like they were trimming down a 50 minute show down to 40.

I know the author said this was his "the stand" but the King comparisons feel even stronger in the show even down to it feeling a bit like a cheap version of the books.

The character amalgamation seemed fine and I'll be interested to see where else they'll do this.

Carter and fanning book spoilers

he seems very different eg not so slow/low IQ. He always cane across like the guy from "the green mile" in the book. I'm interested as to how they square his backstory as this version doesn't seem capable of getting in the mess the book version did. Fanning in the other hand is great - i like how they've cast someone who looks unassuming and non-threatening but who is confident and egotistical. The actor seems to be channeling the fanning from book 3 really well so far

I guess I had better read the second and third books. I have to confess I don't recall a huge amount of detail from the first book either.

9 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

For broadcast TV, it's not a bad show... The kid is very likable... Lucky Luciano plays an excellent asshole... Saved-by-the-Bell Zack works in his role too... but the content would have been much better served on a basic cable station...

I DID NOT KNOW THAT WAS HIM. *MIND BLOWN*

35 minutes ago, Isis said:

I guess I had better read the second and third books. I have to confess I don't recall a huge amount of detail from the first book either.

I DID NOT KNOW THAT WAS HIM. *MIND BLOWN*

I started to suspect it was him and was kind of shocked. He seemed much more intimidating in boardwalk empire.

The other books are worth a read although they are possibly more miserable than even the first book. 

This show gets bonus points for addressing the fact they aren't acknowledging the vampires are vampires. Flimsy excuse but better than shows like walking dead where they pretend the concept of zombies never existed.

I like how they are taking their time to flesh out the virals - hopefully they all get some screentime.

The use of the flashlight was also pretty good as was the suggestion the security isn't as weak as it appears to be - because it's ridiculously flimsy regarding Amy and Wolghast. 

I'm still enjoying this - so far it's striking a decent balance of being fairly faithful while mixing thing up enough to make it fun to watch with the knowledge of the book.

Are you even keeping up with your own thread? :)

This week's episode continues to show how morally unbalanced these "scientists" are and how little anyone will truly care when everything goes tits up for them. Man, I can't wait.

Some quite good storytelling for the backstory of the twelve. I can see that we will definitely be bothered about what happens to these characters. Some of them anyway.

How long until that pandemic flu gets into town? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Are you even keeping up with your own thread? :)

This week's episode continues to show how morally unbalanced these "scientists" are and how little anyone will truly care when everything goes tits up for them. Man, I can't wait.

Some quite good storytelling for the backstory of the twelve. I can see that we will definitely be bothered about what happens to these characters. Some of them anyway.

How long until that pandemic flu gets into town? :laugh:

Just finished the episode. Still enjoying it and the weekly installments is good as it gives me a routine.

It's taking its sweet time but the focus on the twelve is good but wow, they have changed carter and his backstory beyond recognition. Although i can see how the tv version works. I'm really starting to like Fanning as a villain he's much more in focus than in the book but it makes sense that he's manipulating eveeyone all the time.

The scientists and soldiers definitely have no sympathy heading their way. Even if they weren't using girls as lab rats it's still highly unethical to conduct human tests. I did like the line about the humans all being the lab rats and not the other way around. I was kind of hoping "fluctuating accent" scientist woman was going to be bit. Jonas is still a dick but they could well be losing the least repugnant scientist if the infection sets in. He's no spring chicken meaning he'll be more monstrous.

I wonder if the crazy soldier actually did smuggle some blood out despite claims none had gone missing? And that flu could really do with being more prominent because at this stage it seems more plausible that they'd be doing the research merely for rich people immortality. I guess that could be the case and the flu or wife's dementia is merely the objective of the researchers, not the investors.

I was hesitant to watch this  since it's Vampires on regular television but so far it's pretty good. I have no book knowledge thankfully so I am not jaded. I missed Ep 3, wife deleted it but the preview filled me in well enough.

It was painfully obvious he wanted a look out post and not a tree house, even equipped with binoculars! And that scene, he and the girl were plenty safe behind that massive tree from a lone shooter, no reason to endanger themselves and run in the open other than to show her increased speed.

If every "patient" and so many people are reporting nightmares involving the patients, wouldn't you think they would limit exposure to them? Rotate guards and doctors away to prevent issues? Plot I guess..

I'll be sticking with this a while.

7 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I had no idea this show is based on a book series... Judging by this thread, apparently they are pretty good...now I'll have to read them...lol

It's really well written and i think the author's background means you get a story that isn't beholden to genre standards. It's a miserable series though where bad things just keep happening but the struggle against it is sort of positive.

Aww, I really liked that episode! All the cool mind-reading stuff works really well on the screen. I either don't recall the book properly or it wasn't used the same way.

I have thought about re-reading the book but I have a feeling that I dumped the book in a hotel after I finished reading it on holiday in the states. So the question is, do I want to buy another copy of it? A: not really.

Archived