Poll: Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?

Platypus Rex

No.

the sample so far being largely against is kind of funny to me though, as in the past the opposite has seemed to hold true (I.e. lots of support for Jojenpaste). Gues it’s just the luck of who happens to be online! 

No.

If nothing else it makes no sense structurally. I mean, why would Martin fail to use a big stinger ending like Jojen being dead or killed at the end of Bran III in ADWD?

Jojen Paste is such an overblown creepypasta-level theory and there's no reason to presume Jojen is dead in any other manner. I pretty much summed up my own theory about Jojen and his ongoing survival in Green Dreaming of an Underground River. So, my answer to "Did Jojen Die Off-Page?" is a resounding "no".

Yes.

Jojen was killed by the Children, and, probably, Meera too. Both of them were missing, when Bran returned from that other cave, where he ate weirwood paste, with what seemed to be blood. My guess, is that when Bran will wake up, he will see, that the weirwood tree is growing thru his body, binding him to that cave. So he will warg Hodor, and will make him rip those roots out of the ground, and the two of them will escape via undergroud river. And because Hodor will be able to carry only one person, it means, that Bran is the only one, who will get alive out of those caves.

14 minutes ago, Megorova said:

So he will warg Hodor, and will make him rip those roots out of the ground, and the two of them will escape via undergroud river. And because Hodor will be able to carry only one person, it means, that Bran is the only one, who will get alive out of those caves.

I doubt that since;

The river was six hundred feet below, down steep slopes and twisty passages, [Meera] explained, and the last part required climbing down a rope. “Hodor could never make the climb with you on his back. I’m sorry, Bran.”

Moreover, there is no thematic reason to kill Jojen, let alone Meera! Aside from shock value. 

23 minutes ago, Faera said:

there is no thematic reason to kill Jojen, let alone Meera!

There's no thematic reason to keep them alive, because they have already served their purpose - to bring Bran to that cave. So now they are unneeded, and thus could be offed.

And there is a purpose in killing them - it's to make Bran to realise, that the Children are evil little monsters, and that he has to get out of there ASAP.

22 minutes ago, Megorova said:

There's no thematic reason to keep them alive, because they have already served their purpose - to bring Bran to that cave. So now they are unneeded, and thus could be offed.

I think you need to give them more credit than that.

EDIT: Besides, the issue still remains that Hodor (or Bran-in-Hodor) would find it difficult to carry Bran on his back all the way down to the river. I also don't see the CotF being monsters - and even if they are the need for the purpose in showing this being them butchering and feeding Bran's friends to him him is overkill. Just feels like gore for gore's sake. -_-

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

Besides delivering Bran and to Bloodraven and Children they have also provided some of what little information we have about the Knight of the Laughing Tree.  If at least one of them is still alive they can still provide more information about the tourney at Harrenhall, not to mention information about Howland Reed, Howland's Moving Castle and Crannogmen in general.  One of them stands to inherit House Reed as well. 

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

No.

the sample so far being largely against is kind of funny to me though, as in the past the opposite has seemed to hold true (I.e. lots of support for Jojenpaste). Gues it’s just the luck of who happens to be online! 

Well, it has been a few years after all.  It can hardly be the same people.  

Thanks for the vote.

6 hours ago, White Ravens said:

If at least one of them is still alive they can still provide more information about the tourney at Harrenhall, not to mention information about Howland Reed, Howland's Moving Castle and Crannogmen in general. 

Kudos for the reference to Howl's Moving Castle! And all good reasons that it's unlikely Jojen - and Meera - died offscene. I suspect that we won't be seeing Bran point-of-views in the subsequent book(s); just his effects, like that Theon chapter where the weirwood took on Bran's face and said his name. We will eventually see Meera and hopefully Jojen (remember, his health wasn't good) when they leave the cave, without Bran. Hodor would be where Bran asked him to be.

2 hours ago, zandru said:

Kudos for the reference to Howl's Moving Castle! And all good reasons that it's unlikely Jojen - and Meera - died offscene. I suspect that we won't be seeing Bran point-of-views in the subsequent book(s); just his effects, like that Theon chapter where the weirwood took on Bran's face and said his name. We will eventually see Meera and hopefully Jojen (remember, his health wasn't good) when they leave the cave, without Bran. Hodor would be where Bran asked him to be.

I wish I was clever enough to have made the connection myself...

It is pointed out in that thread that Myasaki's movie was released after A Storm of Swords was published but that the animated film was based on a novel of the same name.  GRRM is very well read so odds are that he was dtill making a nod to Howl's Moving Castle, it's just that he was referencing the fantasy novel by Diana Wynne Jones rather than the animated film that it inspired.

Archived