Poll: Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?

Platypus Rex

6 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Bloodraven having been given all this characterisation isn't going to be a puppet. GRRM perhaps lifted the mechanical puppet idea and morphed it into skinchanging into other humans, as Bran does and Bloodraven probably does too.

Bloodraven is very similar to Elric of Melnibone, who attempts to save his kingdom from decline with his soul-drinking magical sword Stormbringer, "In the end, the blade takes everyone close to Elric and eventually Elric's own soul as well."  Stormbringer is the weirwood, Bloodraven attempts to save his kingdom by joining the weirwood, and only succeeds in losing his soul to the weirwood--he got duped.

He also reminds me of the Kings of Men from LoTR who were tempted by the rings of power and it took control of them and turned them into wraiths.  The weirwood is the ring of power, and weirwoods grow in rings. 

6 hours ago, Paltogue said:

I certainly felt this was what the author wanted us to believe when reading it, but whether it turns out to be true or not I don't know.

Thanks for your comment.  But you've got to go 51% one way or the other, or I can't count your vote.

8 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Thanks for your comment.  But you've got to go 51% one way or the other, or I can't count your vote.

You can put me down as a 'yes' then, as I'm currently persuaded that it is a distinct possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it certainly seems to be hinted at quite heavily in that chapter so I think he's probably gone. Part of me would like to be wrong because I like Jojen, but on the other hand it does make for deliciously dark storytelling.

I don't subscribe to the whole Jojen paste theory in as much as I doubt Jojen (or his blood) was literally served up in that bowl. I think it more likely that he was sacrificed to the Weirwood and the paste harvested from the tree that absorbed his blood - so kind of second hand cannibalism if you like or cannibalism by proxy.

Archived