Nymor's letter to Aegon

BigBoss1

What was in the letter? Did the Dornish have Rhaenys hostage or maybe she wrote it herself in hope of ending the war? 

Aegon shortly flew to Dragonstone afterwards, the dornish probably left some form of proof there or maybe he just needed time to think. 

Your toughts?

It wouldn’t make sense for Rhaenys to be a hostage, because if she was alive, Aegon would want her returned. And if they keep her, what’s to stop the war resuming once she dies?

There’s merit to the idea that Dorne would have utilized the Faceless Men to kill Aegon’s heirs but the cost of that would be astronomical. 

Frankly, I’m starting to wonder if the letter really was ensorceled.

2 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

What was in the letter? Did the Dornish have Rhaenys hostage or maybe she wrote it herself in hope of ending the war? 

Aegon shortly flew to Dragonstone afterwards, the dornish probably left some form of proof there or maybe he just needed time to think. 

Your toughts?

The Dornish had her body.  They sent a token to Dragonstone as proof 

8 hours ago, BigBoss1 said:

Your toughts?

I think she was alive & had been tortured.

They still had her alive and were looking after her, with the implication being if no peace treaty is reached then they commence torturing her again & prolong her suffering.

I'm not sure what else would evoke such a re-action as the one he had when given the letter

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

There is a theory that Rhaenys was tortured at Hellholt at the behest of Meria, which is why Aegon was angry, and when Nymor took over, he sent her body to Dragonstone as a sign of peace. Which is why Aegon flew there right away. 

Edit: @Irresistable beat me to it. I sincerely apologise. ;)

But then what’s stopping Aegon from continuing the war?

If Rhaenys was still alive, and Aegon knew about it, then I think he would stop at nothing to save her/get her back tbh.

I think she did die, and the letter was a sort of passionate plea for a truce; Aegon seemed a reasonable man, prone to mercy, and I think he would realize revenge would be futile (and if the dornish killed one Targaryen who says they couldn't also kill either him or Visenya too). His conquest was very recent, other lords' loyalty as well, and their power almost entirely rested on their dragons so he might not want to risk anything that would jeopardize what they had done. Just my two cents.

Guess it's one of those things that will always remain ambiguos and lost to history, like many in real life.

Ok, on serious note. We will never find out what was in this letter - F&B was our last hope to do it. So we can only speculate. 

My speculations: Dornishmen did torture Rhaenys and they got something out of her. Some very deep and troubling secret, probably something which only Targaryens knew: probably prophecy, maybe some dragon riders' biology secret, Valyria's Doom, something really damning for Targs. 

Or probably they knew Aegon is sterile/impotent though I doubt Aegon would draw back because of that - yes, that would be unpleasant but Aegon could brush it aside as a rumor. 

(But I believe in sterile!Aegon theory BTW. I think this is was a reason for Aegon to marry Rhaenys after Visenya. "One for duty, one for love" is just a propaganda, I presume he took second wife for the same reason as Maegor did - to conceive a child. Of course it just a theory and speculation)

There was the theory that Rhanys had been tortured at Hellholt and had confessed that Aenys was not Aegon's son. If Aegon had not been fertile and both her wives had looked someone else to produce a boy, this information may finish the Targaryen dynasty at its very beginning. The Dornish may have agreed not to reveal this in exchange for peace.

It has some holes, but there's also a certain appeal to the thought.

I agree with others in that I think we lost our best chance to find out since fab did not specify( unless George decides to write a history of independent dorne), but sure I'll speculate wildly with everyone else.....

I think Reanys did die and they returned the body as a sign of good faith, aegon burned her privately that night when he flew to DS and decided to make peace the next day, for reasons..

I think Rhaenys was alive and well with a child, because there is no reason to think that Aegon would visit Dorne. His allies would have been furious, so the risk to go there many years after has to have another purpose or secret. There is no reason for Aegon to be so friendly with them, i dont know any other Targaryan king till FaB who is so close to the Dornish. Kings as Aerys and Aegon IV who have sons married  to one, are very hostile to them.  They have a bargain ship against Aegon and Rhaenys or even her child is my only idea.

They destroyed almost the whole  region and spared sunspear and surrounding areas. His war was with the whole of Dorne and not with the Martells, so one new king cant make any difference. Returning a body would not stop him from destroying hellholt!!  

Archived