How will the 7 Kingdoms react if Tommen & Myrcella die before Stannis?

Shpati

If Tommen & Myrcella die, do you think it will strengthen Stannis's claim? Will it make any difference?

In my opinion, I think most of the major houses know that Tommen & Myrcella are not Baratheons anyway, so they don't go by the traditional hierarchy. There's a lot of things keeping these houses in line and keeping fealty to King "Baratheon", but I don't think it's proper lineage.

25 minutes ago, Shpati said:

If Tommen & Myrcella die, do you think it will strengthen Stannis's claim? Will it make any difference?

In my opinion, I think most of the major houses know that Tommen & Myrcella are not Baratheons anyway, so they don't go by the traditional hierarchy. There's a lot of things keeping these houses in line and keeping fealty to King "Baratheon", but I don't think it's proper lineage.

Nope. Stannis never popular, and has fairly successfully been painted as a demon worshipper intent on claiming the throne at all costs. This is even more relevant if the sparrow movement is still going strong if/when Tommen and Myrcella died

I have absolutely no idea who would become King / Queen if Tommen and Myrcella died. Stannis and his line are already attainted. Edric is a bastard and hidden away in Lys. 

Probably would be a council to figure out who should be king. Mace might try to grab the throne for his daughter based on her marriage(s) to the Baratheons but he would not be able to keep the 7 kingdoms together. Short of Aegon or Dany seizing the throne, splitting up the kingdoms seems most likely.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, Shpati said:

After a civil war you need someone who can become some kind of consensus and is able to heal the wounds. Stannis is exactly the opposite: he is leading a religious schism, he is unwilling to compromise, he has an inflexible interpretation of justice (such as when he cut off Davos' fingers after he had just saved Storm's End),... And to make things worse, he doesn't even have a male heir.

In a peaceful situation, a Great Council would be called, and no lord would vote for Stannis. I'd bet for the legitimization and crowning of Edric Storm, in this case.

But as thing stand now, the contender with the most power will grab the throne. Possibly Aegon VI or Daenerys, if they are around.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, Shpati said:

In my opinion, I think most of the major houses know that Tommen & Myrcella are not Baratheons anyway

How would they know? They wouldn't have access to Malleon's Lineages of the Great Houses,  or Robert's bastards, or any confession.

Some may suspect it, but others would suspect that Eddard and Stannis made it up in order to grab power for themselves. And most just won't know, and won't care, since they won't side with the ones having the right of it, but the ones more likely to reward them for their help.

On 1/21/2019 at 3:08 PM, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

I feel like by the time the two of them are dead "Aegon" will be on the Iron Throne, so Stannis will probably still be treated like a rebel. 

A lot of people here in this thread are talking about Aegon; do you mean Aegon who arrived at Westeros. The young Griff?

On 1/21/2019 at 11:39 AM, Shpati said:

Its not the name that keeps other lords in line as you yourself have said. It is Tywin and the wealth of Casterly Rock that people fear. The only way Stannis' claim will be strengthened is if he can gather a whole bunch of men to his side. Like when Renly died. Other lords bent the knee because is looked as if he would win and they did not want to be on the losing side. Like Varys' riddle strength lies where people believe it does.

Stan has been stuck out on that shivering ice plain for a long time, man.  Years.  When the show did what they did it felt wrong and abrupt like a golf swing stopped in mid windup.   But then i asked why it seemed so not canon, and it was because to me Stan feels like an institution that's too rigid to fail, a permanent part of the scenery......but then you remember that 98% of his longevity has been just the time inbetween books.   So maybe all that's left is for some fat Frey bride lady to sing.    Still, though, that's jacked.

On 1/23/2019 at 6:38 PM, GOLDENSTORMWOLF said:

Queen Margaery would become regent, after announcing that her beloved Tommen is the youngest man to ever father a child and he thankfully got her pregnant right before he died.

Bingo. She'd be pregnant ASAP and they'd announce it before that even. Just like old Pappy Robert he was that boy. 

On 1/23/2019 at 6:53 AM, The hairy bear said:

Stannis is exactly the opposite: he is leading a religious schism, he is unwilling to compromise, he has an inflexible interpretation of justice (such as when he cut off Davos' fingers after he had just saved Storm's End),... And to make things worse, he doesn't even have a male heir.

here to defend my boys honor

Stan is pretty much irreligious and may be on the verge of an Old God conversion if they show him some power. He's not particularly fixated on worship, just what they can do for him.

He is willing to compromise, as we have seen in ADwD & sample TWoW chapters, he has evolved much as a character in order to survive, to the point of being machiavellian 

inflexible justice from the position as the King's brother at the time, yeah. though burning men alive for cannibalism isn't exactly my take either

@Irresistable

The problem is not whether Stannis is more or less religious. The problem is that he publicly burned the images of the Seven. And not just any images, but ones with a particular historical significance from the Westerosi. And burnt alive the septon and the nobles that opposed it. With this background, he is just an unacceptable king for any follower of the Seven (which makes the majority of Westeros).

He may be evolving as a character, but people will judge him on the basis of his past actions, not his present moral standing. Stannis has made too many enemies, and gained to little friends. If a Great Council was summoned, Moon Boy would receive more votes than him.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, GOLDENSTORMWOLF said:

Queen Margaery would become regent, after announcing that her beloved Tommen is the youngest man to ever father a child and he thankfully got her pregnant right before he died.

10 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

Bingo. She'd be pregnant ASAP and they'd announce it before that even. Just like old Pappy Robert he was that boy. 

Yup. The only conundrum for ol' Olenna would be whether to choose a blond to keep up the pretense or to go with a dark brunette to solidify the "Baratheon" lineage with the doubters.

Then the Lannisters will put Cersei on the throne.  Jaime follows if she dies.  It's not all about claim.  It's also about power.  Who has the power to take the throne.  Stannis does not.  The Lannisters have it and it's theirs until somebody takes it from them.  The Baratheons stole the throne from the Targaryens.  The Lannisters stole it from the Baratheons.  Stannis lost his place in the line.

Most people would probably just shrug their shoulders and accept Stannis out of lack of any better options. Tyrell-Lannister alliance collapses without anything to hold them together and because the Tyrells are crown chasers. Lannisters and Boltons are left in an awkward spot holding the bag. Boltons probably collapse really fast since there's no muscle behind them. Of course Boltons might already be defeated by Stannis and Stark loyalists depending on how the timing goes.

It would get complicated if Stannis wins the throne and then fAegon and/or Dany shows up. I'd probably give an edge to the Targs because Stannis' base is pretty limited, though he has a chance of prevailing if he could pull together a Stormlands/Vale/Riverlands/North coalition.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:15 PM, Bowen 747 said:

Then the Lannisters will put Cersei on the throne.  Jaime follows if she dies.  It's not all about claim.  It's also about power.  Who has the power to take the throne.  Stannis does not.  The Lannisters have it and it's theirs until somebody takes it from them.  The Baratheons stole the throne from the Targaryens.  The Lannisters stole it from the Baratheons.  Stannis lost his place in the line.

The Lannisters just don't have the muscle to hold the crown, though, and it's not the show so no one is gonna buy Cersei crowning herself. Tyrells have no reason to support Queen Cersei and could easily squash her and hand the crown to Stannis for the right price, such as marrying Shireen to Willas. I suppose Willas could marry Cersei but at that point Mace might as well just take the throne for himself.

Archived