Crystal Sword

Wolfkin

In chapter 1 of aGoT we have the 'Others' using a crystal sword to slay Ser Waymar Royce. After Will comes down from the tree, Ser Waymar then comes back to life with 'blue eyes' (well one blue eye anyway, as the other had a shard from Waymar's sword stabbed in it).  Waymar then kills Will. (we don't know if Will 'rises' or if he does what color his eyes are)

We KNOW the Others personally killed Ser Waymar, and he comes back to life with blue eyes. Did he come back with those eyes because he was slain with that crystal sword? Or because the Others will it so?

We have armies of dead walking around, but they don't seem to have blue eyes. Most probably were not slain by the Others, and we don't know how long they had been dead. So I guess it's hard to compare without reference.

Othor and Jaffer Flowers also rise again with blue eyes - but we don't know WHO killed them, because we didn't have a POV when they were killed.

My question: Is it the Crystal Sword 'creating' those with blue eyes? Or those that are chosen by the Others - are granted blue eyes? 

Sorry, but I keep trying to find rhyme and reason for everything in these books lately. Please share your thoughts and thank you for your time.

The wights have all blue shining eyes. The Others have more ways to kill a man than a sword.

"Scared? Of what? The chidings of old men? Sam, you saw the wights come swarming up the Fist, a tide of living dead men with black hands and bright blue eyes. You slew an Other."

Jon II, ADWD

"Once the free folk are settled in the Gift, they will become part of the realm," Jon pointed out. "These are desperate days, and like to grow more desperate. We have seen the face of our real foe, a dead white face with bright blue eyes. The free folk have seen that face as well. Stannis is not wrong in this. We must make common cause with the wildlings."

Jon III, ADWD

For now. "We hold the Wall. The Wall protects the realm … and you now. You know the foe we face. You know what's coming down on us. Some of you have faced them before. Wights and white walkers, dead things with blue eyes and black hands. I've seen them too, fought them, sent one to hell. They kill, then they send your dead against you.

Jon V, ADWD

"Oh, I do." The grin melted away like snow in summer. "I am not the man I was at Ruddy Hall. Seen too much death, and worse things too. My sons …" Grief twisted Tormund's face. "Dormund was cut down in the battle for the Wall, and him still half a boy. One o' your king's knights did for him, some bastard all in grey steel with moths upon his shield. I saw the cut, but my boy was dead before I reached him. And Torwynd … it was the cold claimed him. Always sickly, that one. He just up and died one night. The worst o' it, before we ever knew he'd died he rose pale with them blue eyes. Had to see to him m'self. That was hard, Jon." Tears shone in his eyes. "He wasn't much of a man, truth be told, but he'd been me little boy once, and I loved him."

Jon XI, ADWD

The things below moved, but did not live. One by one, they raised their heads toward the three wolves on the hill. The last to look was the thing that had been Thistle. She wore wool and fur and leather, and over that she wore a coat of hoarfrost that crackled when she moved and glistened in the moonlight. Pale pink icicles hung from her fingertips, ten long knives of frozen blood. And in the pits where her eyes had been, a pale blue light was flickering, lending her coarse features an eerie beauty they had never known in life.

Prologue, ADWD

I think I am not posting this question clearly. I will try again.

A-There are Others
B-There are wights/dead with Blue eyes (or do they have blue eyes because they are so recently dead?)
C-There are 'raised from the dead'/skeletons

The Other's kill however they want, whoever they want. I totally get that, and they use whatever they want to make the deed happen.
I am asking that when A decides to kill if he can determine who will become B or C. If the Other (A) wants to make you (B) does he use the crystal sword? Is the sword the blue-eye maker?

I hope that makes more sense.

Archived