U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

17 minutes ago, aceluby said:

How is he going to sell a national emergency in court when illegal immigration has been decreasing for almost 2 decades?  There's no actual facts he can use to support this claim that this time in history demands presidential emergency powers to build a stupidly expensive wall, with no evidence it will actually solve any of the issues he's claiming are at emergency levels.

Wait - I just heard Trump in the last 24 hours say more immigrants than ever before had been allowed into the US, great, talented people who have something to contribute.

And that he blames himself for the crisis at the border, because the US economy is doing so well under his presidency that so many more people want to come to the US.

So it would appear McConnell scheduled the CR vote yesterday to demonstrate to Trump that he's conclusively losing this battle.  It is really fucking sad he needed a vote for that, even controlling for his idiocy.

Just now, Zorral said:

So state of emergency if he doesn't get what he wants.

Pelosi is definitely going to call that bluff.  Trump might not be bluffing, but it doesn't matter, because she'll make him do it either way.  Unless Trump is going to offer something big that Democrats want (and he won't), then it's just a question of whether in 3 weeks time Trump just moves on to some other issue or doubles down and declares an emergency.  Methinks it'll be the former, but who knows with this guy. 

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

So it would appear McConnell scheduled the CR vote yesterday to demonstrate to Trump that he's conclusively losing this battle.  It is really fucking sad he needed a vote for that, even controlling for his idiocy.

But Jared said that Democrats were coming around!  Surely he's more trustworthy than those lying pollsters, right?

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Pelosi is definitely going to call that bluff.  Trump might not be bluffing, but it doesn't matter, because she'll make him do it either way.  Unless Trump is going to offer something big that Democrats want (and he won't), then it's just a question of whether in 3 weeks time Trump just moves on to some other issue or doubles down and declares an emergency.  Methinks it'll be the former, but who knows with this guy. 

Wait, what happens to the government shutdown in this scenario?

Just now, Corvinus said:

Wait, what happens to the government shutdown in this scenario?

The government will be open.  Trump will (for now anyway) cease to shut down the government to gain leverage because it is really obvious that it only gives the other side leverage. 

Oooo, I hadn't seen the news that he agreed for a 3-week opening. I think whoever said he was going to do it so he could deliver his SOU was right. Either way, a victory for the Democrats. 

And my mom, among many others, can finally start getting paid.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Probably yea.

Although maybe in two weeks rather than on Jan 29. Depends on how quickly security can get organized and what the Secret Service is comfortable with.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Although maybe in two weeks rather than on Jan 29. Depends on how quickly security can get organized and what the Secret Service is comfortable with.

Which is fair. Either way, she has to let him do it.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Which is fair. Either way, she has to let him do it.

And can be gracious about it in a way that will also be super effective.  I sort of hope she's practicing facial expressions in the mirror because she'll be sitting right behind him the whole time and every twitch of her face will be (relatively unfairly) scrutinized.  

16 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Now Pelosi will have to let him give the SOU address, right?

He already gave it just now in the Rose Garden -- he's  proud, this is the greatest economy ever, more criminals have been stopped on the border this month than ever before, yaddaheyaddahayaddahay he's the most wonderful of all creations, and all the government employees lurking in email support his proudness.

Just now, Morpheus said:

I thought Carter was the right’s target for biggest wimp.

You would think so but Bush Sr still gets a lot of flak for the "Read my lips!" speech and for not going after Saddam at the end of the Gulf War.

9 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

I thought Carter was the right’s target for biggest wimp.

Also, there are no Democratic presidents, only usurpers.  Bush Sr. is the worst Republican president (to her ilk) and therefore the go-to choice. 

I'm surprised Nixon doesn't get more flak from the right for pulling out of Vietnam, creating the EPA, and overseeing school integration.

Maybe they just like to pretend he didn't exist.

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Also, there are no Democratic presidents, only usurpers.  Bush Sr. is the worst Republican president (to her ilk) and therefore the go-to choice. 

Not true!  That Jackson guy was swell, and plenty legit.  And, Polk, that rugged individualist, was merely mislabeled.  I'm sure each of Pierce and Buchanan are merely misunderstood.  Not sure about that Lincoln guy....

Archived