U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

Could she have directed friends to talk to reporters?  Sure.  But you don't know that.  And either way, this isn't really a story at all unless you let it be.

Let's hope to whatever it is we believe in that this is true.

I think at this point Simpsons TV history in there must be a Simpsons video that is apropos to every conceivable situation.

There may even be a Simpsons video apropos to the Apu situation. Though if there is might that create some kind of time paradox?

Of course self criticism is a good thing as that can often lead to new ideas and new ways of thinking. The problem with conservative self-criticism is that it's conservative, so it therefore criticises anything that seeks new ideas and new thinking and rather demands a preservation of or return to the old.

58 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think at this point Simpsons TV history in there must be a Simpsons video that is apropos to every conceivable situation.

Hum, every time I hear the name Ann Coulter, I have to think of Family Guy.

For the die hard fans, it's one of the older eps, when Lois gets a job at Fox News. The joke involves Frigid Ann fridge whence they get their cold refreshments. Couldn't find it on youtube unfortunately.

I'll leave to the more die hard family guy fans to argue how that quite mysogynistic joke is ok, because it targets Coulter.

One a semi-related note, I am waiting for Donnie Dipshit to pass a nickname onto Coulter.

23 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

One a semi-related note, I am waiting for Donnie Dipshit to pass a nickname onto Coulter.

I think there is a decent chance that trump is genuinely scared of Ann Coulter. An intelligent woman, who is as viscous as an attack dog to those she regards as doing her (or her causes) wrong.

19 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

An intelligent woman, who is as viscous as an attack dog to those she regards as doing her (or her causes) wrong.

Are Kiwi attack dogs particularly thicker and more syrupy than their worldwide counterparts? Inquiring minds want to know.  

;)

So, another tell-all book about the Trump White House drops tomorrow and the excerpts I've seen so far are fucking bananas.

Trump taking it to Paul Ryan after the Charleston hate attacks:

“Paul, do you know why Democrats have been kicking your a— for decades?” his tirade began, as Sims tells it. “Because they know a little word called ‘loyalty.’  Why do you think Nancy [Pelosi] has held on this long? Have you seen her? She’s a disaster. Every time she opens her mouth another Republican gets elected. But they stick with her … Why can’t you be loyal to your president, Paul?”

His voice grew louder. “You know what else I remember? I remember being in Wisconsin and your own people were booing you. You were out there dying like a dog, Paul. Like a dog! And what’d I do? I saved your a—.” 

I don't know if this really happened, but God I hope it did.  I can't think of anything better than that fucking weasel being read the riot act and dressed down like a kid by someone he obviously considers himself morally superior to. 

Chait rips into Schultz and his plans to cut Medicare and social security while preserving trump tax cuts for billlionaires (such as himself) which as everyone in the media assured me are very centristy positions supported by all inderpendents. 

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/howard-schultz-independent-spoiler-reelect-trump.html

But the onion says the same thing more succinctly and more humorously.

https://politics.theonion.com/howard-schultz-considering-independent-presidential-run-1832126653

8 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Chait rips into Schultz and his plans to cut Medicare and social security while preserving trump tax cuts for billlionaires (such as himself) which as everyone in the media assured me are very centristy positions supported by all inderpendents. 

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/howard-schultz-independent-spoiler-reelect-trump.html

But the onion says the same thing more succinctly and more humorously.

https://politics.theonion.com/howard-schultz-considering-independent-presidential-run-1832126653

I think I'd rather vote for Sgt. Schultz than Howard Schultz. At least the first Schultz admits he knows nothing.

Alas, no links, just a slowly growing number of comments in political articles by posters who claim to follow blogs of various folks in the Trump Whitehouse. 

Supposedly, the claim from these people is that Trump has talked more and more about resigning his office, possibly if the Mueller investigation gets closer to him. 

I regard these comments as dubious in the extreme, but figured it's just barely possible some of the posters here might have come across this. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Ann Coulter is about as intelligent as a severed penis.

In preparation for my post I did a bare minimum of digging. Some guy used some kind of demographic estimate thing to guess her IQ to be about 120. No idea how good that system is but I would say he's probably within the margin for error. It does seem to use the racial IQ concept to give you bonus points if you're white, or Ashkenazi(sp?) or Asian. Though it may be using it based on observed metrics rather than an assertion/assumption that there is a genetic basis to the current population differences in IQ. 

I did the demographic thing this dude used for Ann on myself and it underestimated my IQ by about 10 points, based on the one online IQ test I took several years ago.

Anyway, I think it's an error to assume that people with views as insane as Ann Coulter's are unintelligent. And for someone who wants to face her down it's a bit dangerous. People may think they can beat her down in any debate with little preparation. While it is certain Ann would never go into a robust debate environment without being prepared to the hilt. Though I imagine Ann probably never goes into a truly robust debate environment. And there's indeed the possibility that she doesn't believe some % of her bullshit. But she's famous, making decent money, and pissing off the left all at the same time, so talking bullshit you know to be bullshit that diminishes your intellectual credibility among people you don't respect or want within your social and professional sphere is an acceptable price to pay for some people in order to achieve those ends.

19 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah IQ hasn;t been a good metric for anything in..well ever a long time.

Fixed that for you.  Also, please stop talking about the Lady Ann.  Every stinking side bar ad has her mug on it (sometimes with the word Mugged) (stupid algorithm).  

I think it's a mistake to assume people like an Anne Coulter are morons. Anne Coulter is many things but she's not a moron.  We don't need her IQ to know that, just listening to her speak is enough. And statistically intelligent people are more likely to hold insane/extreme views as they are more likely to be able to rationalize them when challenged.  

Archived