U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, Fez said:

I'm surprised Nixon doesn't get more flak from the right for pulling out of Vietnam, creating the EPA, and overseeing school integration.

Maybe they just like to pretend he didn't exist.

He was a criminal, and therefore "tough".  Roger Stone has a Nixon tattoo on his back*.

* This is not a joke.  He really does.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm surprised Nixon doesn't get more flak from the right for pulling out of Vietnam, creating the EPA, and overseeing school integration.

Maybe they just like to pretend he didn't exist.

Well, part of it in Coulter's case may be that she was 12 years old when Nixon resigned, a couple of years before the age when Americans normally start getting enough interested in politics to form their own opinions about it. And if I remember correctly the great majority of people will pick a president from within their own lifetimes for both the "best" and "worst" -- unfortunately, if a president is "past history" he doesn't figure in these sorts of evaluations for most people. 

(I am thankful that many who post in this thread aren't "most people" in that respect.)

2 hours ago, sperry said:

Better than nothing on the 3 weeks. The airline stuff has got to be the only reason this is getting done.

We'll, that, and approval ratings, and distracting everyone from how close Mueller is getting... Is anyone still taking about Stone?

So I guess the way Trump is going to spin this is that he's going to get some pieces of new border wall in exchange for not getting the whole thing, ever, and he'll get more border funding. Which is fine, because Democrats have never been opposed to using walls where they made sense, but I don't see how it isn't just a total collapse by Trump on that promise, and a fairly big political hit as it alienates his base even more. 

Also, Pelosi fucking owns. 

2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

He threw up the double peace signs on the court steps today

Indeed he did.  It would seem he's as innocent as Nixon as well. 

I'm seeing some thinkpieces about how this is a "turning point" that Pelosi has brought Trump to heel, and that will pop Trumps bubble of bravado.  That Trump's base might never see him the same way again, and therefore be less willing to ignore his many failures.

I think this is ridiculous wish fufillment by liberal opinion writers.  Yes, Coulter and the Republican talking heads will complain about what a sellout Trump is, but that's par for the course.  Complaining about Republicans being insufficiently conservative is like half of what they do (the other half is that Democrats are destroying the country.)  But Trumpism is far too robust to be seriously harmed by a mere setback.  Trump will find some culture war issue to piss off the Libs and the right wing media will be falling over themselves to say Trump has got his mojo back. 

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

He's a half hour late. I'm betting he's taking calls from Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter again, trying to determine how mad the base will be. 

Pretty mad, it seems.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trump-caves-on-shutdown-pisses-off-people-who-love-him

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

But, a huge but -- will the drones actually function?

In Vietnam the US military sophistication was enormous including infrared showing targets to bombers in the air.  It's merely a matter of more rather than different.  And again, everything since has been carefully in the desert.  Jungle covered mountains are quite different, as in Vietnam.  Also the sheer amount of enormously technologically superior military resources and weapons throw at the Vietcong was impossible to even do the accounting on.  Yet, those pajama clad, barefoot guys, who dug tunnels with shovels and machetes and bare hands sent the US running back home.

Maybe different in kind now, but as nearly 20 years of war in the mideast have shown, not different in effectiveness.

Ah but recall that in Vietnam there were still intentions to 'occupy'. Which discourages the kind of strategy I am positing will become the new standard in open warfare. 

You don't need to occupy a people to destroy their capability to make war or defend themselves or eat. 

The eating is the important part. 

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

I have some faith in our courts.

HA!

19 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Looked at that briefly and then Googled Michael Malice--

I wonder why someone who is a self-proclaimed anarchist is considered "right wing." I thought anarchists were generally considered "far left". Guess I'm behind the times.

I noted that Michael Malice was born Michael Krechmer, and so Googled Michael Savage and found out his birth name is Michael Weiner. Few things seem to show the moral bankruptcy of right wing media better than that they accept as political gurus people who have renamed themselves Malice and Savage. :o

3 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Looked at that briefly and then Googled Michael Malice--

I wonder why someone who is a self-proclaimed anarchist is considered "right wing." I thought anarchists were generally considered "far left". Guess I'm behind the times.

Makes sense to me. While right leaners tend in the us and other European nations to be more desirous of strong authority and norms, they also tend to be against government power. Anarchism is essentially a stronger version of us libertarianism in action, focusing on being strong, no government regulation and that sort of thing. 

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Indeed he did.  It would seem he's as innocent as Nixon as well. 

I'm seeing some thinkpieces about how this is a "turning point" that Pelosi has brought Trump to heel, and that will pop Trumps bubble of bravado.  That Trump's base might never see him the same way again, and therefore be less willing to ignore his many failures.

I think this is ridiculous wish fufillment by liberal opinion writers.  Yes, Coulter and the Republican talking heads will complain about what a sellout Trump is, but that's par for the course.  Complaining about Republicans being insufficiently conservative is like half of what they do (the other half is that Democrats are destroying the country.)  But Trumpism is far too robust to be seriously harmed by a mere setback.  Trump will find some culture war issue to piss off the Libs and the right wing media will be falling over themselves to say Trump has got his mojo back. 

He is going to be savaged by the right all weekend, I expect he will find some new cruel tactic next week to bring them back

Pelosi was just quoted saying the State of the Union speech is still "not planned" (it was supposed to be Tuesday) and she'll talk to the President about a "mutually agreeable time."

I'm sure the speech will happen, but this is a delicious bit of knife-twisting. Way to kick a cuck while he's impotent.

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Is there any way this whole life is just some satirical dream I’m having? Backtats of Nixon...my lord.

Don't you know? The Mayans had the right of it, the world really did end in 2012. Our current reality is just a fevre dream of Cthulhu. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

He was a criminal, and therefore "tough".  Roger Stone has a Nixon tattoo on his back*.

* This is not a joke.  He really does.

I bet that will be embarrassing once he is in prison.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

No.  My Facebook has been flooded with bitter denunciations of Pelosi, with most comments urging her immediate arrest or forced retirement and a fair number hinting at more draconian measures.  Essentially, she is becoming the replacement of Hillary Clinton.

4 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Think the bigger issue is the constitution and whether this would be a "direct" tax not permitted because 16th amendment only covers income tax.  National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius probably helps here as it finds that the ACA tax was not an direct tax because not everyone had to pay it and that it was not imposed on property (that it was triggered by circumstances), but a wealth tax is basically a personal property tax, which is thought of as a direct tax.  So basically I think you'd need a constitutional amendment.  The estate tax, in contrast, is tied to an identifiable (though inevitable) event which causes property to change hands, so is different, I believe.  Constitutional scholars please weigh in here if you disagree.

So make it indirect. Fee the states on 10% of the assets of their residents with more than 50 million. Offer an 80% discount (only 2%) if they have a state law wealth tax of 2% on their residents.

The state assesses the taxes on the people, the feds fee the states, everyone's unhappy, massive disincentive from states to try to be the one the state that doesn't have it and the money still gets collected.

I'd still think warren's tax is small potatoes compared to removing the step up in basis as well as the capital gains preferential rates.

Did I just hear Trump talk about a high tech, steel, and see through wall? 

Chain link fencing is high tech? Or does Trump think there is such a thing as see through steel plates? 

The only way my estimation of Trump's intelligence could be any lower is if he also has a Nixon tattoo on his back.

Someone elsewhere brought up the idea that the reason trump caved is simply because Pelosi wouldn't let him do the sotu. And being able to give big speeches is the only thing he enjoys. There's something to that.

Personally this reminds me a lot of when I had to deal with someone else who was a narcissist sociopath. They broke a deal we had with parenting, and instead of being reasonable I stood my ground and said, repeatedly, no. Didn't budge an inch through all his emotional manipulation, didn't let him talk to the ex wife, just said no. He didn't get his way, and he never crossed a line with us again. 

3 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Did I just hear Trump talk about a high tech, steel, and see through wall? 

Chain link fencing is high tech? Or does Trump think there is such a thing as see through steel plates? 

The only way my estimation of Trump's intelligence could be any lower is if he also has a Nixon tattoo on his back.

Have you looked at the southern border recently? See anything different than normal? No? THATS HOW HIGH TECH IT IS - THE WALL HAS ALREADY BEEN BUILT. YOU... CAN'T... SEE... IT!

Phew, now we can focus on some real issues.

Archived