U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

Some on the right appear to be consoling themselves with Trump getting his SotU, the thinking being that his chess move will be delivering a bravura speech which will bring public opinion on his side come end of this agreement. Can’t say I am sure what in his past makes them think he is capable of delivering something whch does more than rile up those who already support him.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

I still would prefer a change in leadership.  Didn't take a political genius to beat Trump in the shutdown battle when he gave up the game before it started.

Ditto, she didn't immediately faceplant as I expected, and I'll say she showed a pleasing level of tactical dexterity.

But as a good friend of mine once said "That bitch got baggage."

17 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

No it isn't. 

The Marvel business model removes even the possibility of considering their films as genuine works of art. 

A plate from T.J. Max can be objectively of high quality. But when you buy it in multiples of 10 with more boxes in stock than you can count, it's no longer a piece of art or even craftsmanship.

And I have nothing but disdain for that 2 bit troll Mahr, while I quite enjoy Marvel films most of the time.

Yes it is. You are not the arbiter of what constitutes of what is “genuine works of art”. No one is. Art is in it of itself entirely subject to interpretation. I don’t see, a painting of a blue canvas being particularly artistic, but some people value it high enough to price it 43 million$. And I say this as someone whose feelings on most of the marvel he’s seen movies(including Avengers 1 and 2) to be not really satisfactory. Not bad, just only entertaining enough to pass by 2 hours.

18 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Yes, he sounds so centristy and reasonable and all.

But, in reality, this is why, I think, people get so annoyed by this type of "centrist" or I do at least. Because the fact of the matter on a bunch of technocratic issues he is just wrong. Maybe if he had read Blanchard's latest paper, he might rethink his attitude towards defects somewhat.

Secondly, he just wrong that single payer is at odds with fiscal responsibility. If he's read any of the healthcare literature, he'd know if anything we can't afford our over expensive healthcare system, as it is currently constructed, whose main virtue is costing more than any one else's. There is no reason we can't have single payer healthcare, while restraining the deficit. In fact, single payer systems are pretty good at controlling healthcare cost.

And again, Social Security is pretty easy fix. Once again we have some dumb ass trying to conflate the two (ie Social Security with Medicare & Medicaid).

Schultz is concerned about the democratic party going too far to the left. What concerns me is idiots tyring to look reasonable, but not really knowing what they are talking about, and not even trying to understand the nature of things.

No wonder nobody is excited by this guy.

Types like Schultz, Bloomberg, etc. are just in it to ensure that younger and poorer people don't make them pay taxes, stop them from toxifying the planet in favor of further bloating their hidden bloated bank accounts, and actually, you know, do or make or invest in something that is real as opposed to playing weenie-wagging games with the other ob$cenely bloated billionaire$.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

I still would prefer a change in leadership.  Didn't take a political genius to beat Trump in the shutdown battle when he gave up the game before it started.

I cannot imagine who would have faced down Trump so well. What candidate for Speaker do you think would have done a better job?

30 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I cannot imagine who would have faced down Trump so well. What candidate for Speaker do you think would have done a better job?

Literally any other reasonable candidate could, should, and most likely would have stared down Trump as well as Pelosi did.  Plus it was Schumer that secured the clean CR vote, which apparently (and absurdly) was integral to at least temporarily ending it.

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Well, the question isn't whether or not why he lost, but why he caved, and why he caved now. From most reporting spin, it sounds like the primary reason was, oddly, the double vote in the Senate - which gave McConnell the info and the ammo to call Trump and tell him that he was facing a revolt in the Senate and it was time to end it. Apparently Kushner and Trump both had a lot of hope that Senate dems would defect to their deal and that would give them some room to negotiate some kind of grand bargain (this was Kushner's idea), but that ended up being DOA. 

Trump also apparently complained about Ryan not taking care of this, about Dems not defecting and staying loyal, and all sorts of other things, but they never had a good idea of how well the Dems would stay together. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/prisoner-of-his-own-impulse-inside-trumps-cave-to-end-shutdown-without-wall/2019/01/25/e4a4789a-20d5-11e9-8b59-0a28f2191131_story.html?utm_term=.ad8e2b6efe48

I've been thinking about this too, and I'm starting to wonder if the commonly applied label of narcissist can help us understood why Trump just caved. This isn't about policy or doing what's right--we know that--but for Trump, he wants adoration. That line about him being upset/angry about "How does Pelosi keep all the Dems so loyal?" I mean that betrays him right there. This isn't about people voting for what they think is right, differing sometimes with each other, this is about loyalty. And maybe even Trump sees his loyalty has drastically been reduced? I don't know--but I kind of felt like this was Trump falling into kind of depression in the face of all out criticism. He just kind of gave up. 

But in three weeks, he'll be back to his old ways, I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ditto, she didn't immediately faceplant as I expected, and I'll say she showed a pleasing level of tactical dexterity.

But as a good friend of mine once said "That bitch got baggage."

I don't know...I wasn't a huge fan of her this round either, but these last couple of weeks really made me change my mind. She made some really smart moves (the written letter to Trump, then "giving him permission" to do the SotU elsewhere). 

What secrets does Jared Kushner have over Donny, or is it just the shady partnerships with Russia, Israel and the Saudis? Why does this reverse Midas always get so much input to the point of ignoring security concerns? Cannot wait until he reveals his brilliant Mid East peace plan, I’m sure that won’t backfire like everything else he touches.

4 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I’ve been meaning to ask. So how are the ant-Pelosi folk feeling about her being speaker now?

While I don’t know the players on the Democratic side the way some of you do, I can’t think of anyone else who would have handled Trump the way Pelosi did. When I think of the anti-Pelosi faction who were proclaiming they would not support her before the mid-terms, I can only believe they got sucked into the Republican propaganda against her, almost the way people got sucked in by the anti-Clinton propaganda campaign the Republicans ran against HRC.

I think Trump fears Pelosi more simply because she’s a contemporary of his. I think Trump really disdains people younger than him - they can’t possibly be as smart as he is. Trump will stand on a podium and praise a younger person, but I really have come to the conclusion absolutely nothing that comes out of his mouth can be taken as true. We all know praising someone usually meant Trump was bringing down the hammer on them. Crushing a younger Speaker would have been an easier task.

I’m not especially anti-Pelosi, but she did much better than I expected, so far. I’m not 100% convinced she wasn’t just less incompetent than the Donald, but moves I thought would ultimately prove relatively pointless (like forcing the Trump lockout statement in the OO) by virtue of Democrat fluidity proved effective in large part because she was very effective shepherding. I also thought it was a mistake to pursue Trump’s desire to make it personal, as that imo appeals to his base more than hers, but again she surprised me and read the room better. 

I’m a bit bothered big-picture that part of the reason this is causing so much right wing bleeding is because it flips the misogyny,  ie ‘he lost to a woman! A lib woman!’ but I guess you take what you can get. 

Not ready to crown her or anything, but it’s occurred to me that she’s basically the lead in the British House of Cards, ie the gritty old whip no one takes too seriously as a player but everyone needs come cattle drive...so it would at least be interesting. 

18 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I’m a bit bothered big-picture that part of the reason this is causing so much right wing bleeding is because it flips the misogyny,  ie ‘he lost to a woman! A lib woman!’ but I guess you take what you can get. 

To paraphrase my main man Joseph Stalin, "you imagine the Democratic Party as if it were ideal. It is not ideal. But the important thing is that it fights Republicans."

It is refreshing to see the Dems do something besides implode, but Pelosi's competence was never in question.  She's been sidelined for the last two years is all. 

It'd be nice to see a change in leadership and I'm a little peeved that the select climate change committee didn't get subpoena power, but it looks like we got the party to shift left quite a bit.  At least for the next two years the House is in experienced hands - Pelosi isn't going to fall for Trump's petty shit or get flustered and wishy-washy like Schumer seems to.  We don't always need to be looking for a hero or to be romanticizing our elected officials.  It's totally ok to not love them and just appreciate a party bigwig doing a good job and not fucking up.

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

What secrets does Jared Kushner have over Donny, or is it just the shady partnerships with Russia, Israel and the Saudis? Why does this reverse Midas always get so much input to the point of ignoring security concerns? Cannot wait until he reveals his brilliant Mid East peace plan, I’m sure that won’t backfire like everything else he touches.

He's family, and everyone knows family is the most important thing in organized crime. 

Archived