U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

1 minute ago, OldGimletEye said:

No fan of Coulter, but that is funny.

Believe me, I don't want to give that ghoulish shit-stirrer any extra attention, which is why I didn't paste her tweet directly. But it's nice that the attention-seeking assholes of the GOP like Gingrich and Coulter are training fire on each other.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Believe me, I don't want to give that ghoulish shit-stirrer any extra attention, which is why I didn't paste her tweet directly. But it's nice that the attention-seeking assholes of the GOP like Gingrich and Coulter are training fire on each other.

Can't wait for them to start arguing about who is the true conservative. Grab the popcorn everyone, that should be fun.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

The Democratic nominee is going to need them to win Arizona and the nominee is going to want to win Arizona; the Clinton states+PA+MI+WI path is way too narrow to be confident.

One thing that I'm worried about in 2020 is IF the race is really close and it comes down to Arizona (say Democrats win Clinton states + MI and PA, but lose WI, FL, NC), then we'd have to deal with the agony of Arizona ballot counting, but with the Presidency on the line.  Trump would AT BEST be tweeting nonstop about the election being stolen, and if it looks like his lead is slipping away, I could easily imagine him doing more than that.  It's a nightmare scenario for the country. 

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Man, that is a lot of tweets in a row if you click the link.  Clearly Gingrich got under her skin.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

But unless all the Obama-Trump voters switch back, and only some of them did in 2018, the Democratic nominee is probably going to need some of those never-Trumpers.

Sure, probably.  I'm just very unconvinced Schultz will even make it to November 2020, and hiring the guy who's best known for choosing Sarah Palin hardly changes that.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

One thing that I'm worried about in 2020 is IF the race is really close and it comes down to Arizona (say Democrats win Clinton states + MI and PA, but lose WI, FL, NC), then we'd have to deal with the agony of Arizona ballot counting, but with the Presidency on the line.  Trump would AT BEST be tweeting nonstop about the election being stolen, and if it looks like his lead is slipping away, I could easily imagine him doing more than that.  It's a nightmare scenario for the country. 

Hopefully the new Democratic Secretary of State will spend the next two years significantly improving vote counting procedures (and expanding voting access) so this isn't an issue.

Lol, during the shutdown, a shutdown centered on illegal immigration, the Trump organization fired 12 undocumented employees at Trump's National Golf Course in Westchester County, NY.

OSSINING, N.Y — They had spent years on the staff of Donald Trump’s golf club, winning employee-of-the-month awards and receiving glowing letters of recommendation.

Some were trusted enough to hold the keys to Eric Trump’s weekend home. They were experienced enough to know that, when Donald Trump ordered chicken wings, they were to serve him two orders on one plate.

But on Jan. 18, about a dozen employees at Trump National Golf Club in Westchester County, N.Y., were summoned, one by one, to talk with a human resources executive from Trump headquarters.

During the meetings, they were fired because they are undocumented immigrants, according to interviews with the workers and their attorney. The fired workers are from Latin America.

He credits Stephen Miller’s survival to the speechwriter’s ability to play both sides of the “globalist/nationalist” divide in the White House. While then–chief strategist Steve Bannon viewed Miller as his “right-wing protege,” his ideological ally against the so-called globalists, Miller was cultivating a close relationship with perhaps the globalist in chief, Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner. Sims writes of listening in on Miller “plung[ing] the knife” into Bannon’s back and “twisting it with relish” during a conversation with the president. “Your polling numbers are actually very strong considering Steve won’t stop leaking to the press and trying to undermine Jared,” Miller said, according to Sims. “If Steve wasn’t doing that, I bet you’d be ten points higher.”

An Obscure White House Staffer’s Jaw-Dropping Trump Tell-All
In Team of Vipers, Cliff Sims recounts his year and a half in a West Wing “out of control.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/obscure-white-house-aide-writes-stunning-trump-tell-all/581416/

Bloomberg!  he's worse than Schultz or whoever the eff that guy is.

But you know let's just keep doing the same damned things that have already failed more than once.  Orange nazi keeps bleeting about Horror Show Government Shutdown 2 in 3 weeks, and -- Hillary is thinking of declaring to run again.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/01/27/ip-notebooks-1-27.cnn

It does persuade one that the planet is suffering oxygen deprivation and everyone now living is brain damaged.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But you know let's just keep doing the same damned things that have already failed more than once.  Orange nazi keeps bleeting about Horror Show Government Shutdown 2 in 3 weeks, and -- Hillary is thinking of declaring to run again. 

I've said this before in this thread and (hopefully) this is the last time.  Hillary Clinton can read a poll.  She probably still wants to be President, but the overwhelming majority of the Democratic electorate wants someone else, and they aren't going to be shy about saying so.  If she runs, he will be defeated, convincingly.  Which is why she isn't going to run.

Some good-ish news in a Marquette poll of Wisconsin voters.

In the Marquette survey taken Jan. 16-20, 52 percent disapprove of his job performance, 46 percent “strongly” disapprove and 49 percent say they will “definitely vote for someone else” in the next presidential election. That doesn’t mean Trump is doomed to lose. But it means his window for victory is a very tight one...

The intensity of public opinion matters a lot in politics and it is not on Trump’s side: 30 percent of Wisconsin voters “strongly” approve of him and 46 percent “strongly” disapprove. These people (three-quarters of the electorate) are pretty locked in, to Trump’s disadvantage. The other quarter of the electorate is soft in its opinion: 14 percent of voters “somewhat” approve, 7 percent “somewhat” disapprove and 4 percent don’t know.

Those aren't good numbers for Trump, but nor are they great news for Democrats.  The poll finds the Democrats are more united in their opposition to Trump, but their narrow win over Walker for Governor shows the difficulty in defeating an incumbent in this very purple state. 

If Hillary's so good at reading polls why is her mouth moving in front of reporters and friends?

Nancy Pelosi's getting all the credit for supposedly ending the shutdown.

But really, unions, specifically the air controllers union, and flight attendants union, played a significant role. They got the narrative and optics out there for TSA workers and everyone else, just how much they were suffering.  And their own lives in danger, meaning you who fly -- not only are you 'inconvenienced' -- you are in danger.

It's a great job they are continuing to do too -- the government employees aren't finished with crisis, not by a long shot.  The news stories are telling this.  They better keep this up because asshole in chief really will forget in 3 weeks and try it again.

It's not as though you all have been so very right all the time with your predictions as to what will or won't or can't happen . . . .

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Fucking Howard Schultz...

He might not run in the end, and if he runs his campaign might not catch on, and if he does catch on he might draw equally from both parties (or even moreso from Republicans, they seem to like egomaniacal billionaires from New York). But just thought of some narcissistic asshole deciding to run an independent Presidential campaign to satisfy his own vanity and potentially causing Trump to get re-elected is making my blood boil.

I assume he still has a lot of stock in Starbucks, so we would absolutely boycott Starbucks in order to inflict long term stock pain on this monster. Sure boycotts may hurt little people first, but we really have no choice to not boycott as it's likely the only tool we have to stop this fucking bastard.

29 minutes ago, DMC said:

She's not allowed to talk to friends? 

Yeah, it's ridiculous.  Plus, all this is just the lowest level of water-testing for Clinton.  What is the reaction when she maybe/kinda raises the possibility of running again?  Well, the reaction is uniformly negative, and she can see that.  She's not going to run. 

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

She's not allowed to talk to friends?

Reporters.  Reporters.  You forgot the.reporters.

Also the point you all are making is that she reads polls so she knows she hasn't a chance, but the point is that she may read, but she's still talking about running.  To REPORTERS as well as friends.  Friends who are real friends should tell her stop.  She's looking ridiculous.

12 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah, it's ridiculous.  Plus, all this is just the lowest level of water-testing for Clinton.  What is the reaction when she maybe/kinda raises the possibility of running again?  Well, the reaction is uniformly negative, and she can see that.  She's not going to run. 

In the meantime the reaction is already universally negative and she looks ridiculous, and -- old.  Can't let go, though she's been beaten three times if one counts the Dem Nomination in the first Obama run. Plus she's just sucking up the already scarce oxygen supply.

Sitting there in the rocking chair rocking her grandchild and humming, "I should run for President of the United States.  You'd like a granma who is president kitchy kitchy koo."

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

So conservatives aren't eating their own. They've already eaten their own and are now in the process of shitting them out.

It kind of makes me want to be a bit of shit stirrer upper by spreading rumors about what one conservative said about another. Like say going to Gingrich and saying, "I heard Coulter said you weren't very conservative." and then watching the hilarity ensue.

22 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

It kind of makes me want to be a bit of shit stirrer upper by spreading rumors about what one conservative said about another. Like say going to Gingrich and saying, "I heard Coulter said you weren't very conservative." and then watching the hilarity ensue.

Actual footage of OldGimletEye stirring shit up between the conservatives.

28 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Reporters.  Reporters.  You forgot the.reporters.

Also the point you all are making is that she reads polls so she knows she hasn't a chance, but the point is that she may read, but she's still talking about running.  To REPORTERS as well as friends.  Friends who are real friends should tell her stop.  She's looking ridiculous.

1.  My comment was in large part me being a smartass based on your poor phrasing.

2.  There is no indication she spoke to reporters, as far as I can tell.  Jeff Zeleny - the guy that started all this on CNN yesterday - said as much:

"I’m told by three people that as recently as this week, she was telling people that look, given all this news from the indictments, particularly the Roger Stone indictment, she talked to several people, saying 'look, I'm not closing the doors to this,' " Zeleny said. 

Could she have directed friends to talk to reporters?  Sure.  But you don't know that.  And either way, this isn't really a story at all unless you let it be.

Archived