U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

As expected, Trump's plan has failed it's senate vote. It's at 48-47 right now so it can't hit the 60 vote threshold. Manchin was the only Democratic to flip and vote for it.

Interestingly, Mike Lee and Tom Cotton voted against Trump's plan as well. I assume the plan simply wasn't racist enough for Cotton (remember, it's not just the wall, there's all those asylum changes too), but I'm not sure about Lee's reasons. I don't think him as being any more anti-immigration than the usual Republican; maybe he actually objects to using eminent domain?

the orange nazi and his mafia have sold Cuba to Putin and his mafia. The Russians are everywhere in Cuba again, providing building materals, industrial products from elevators to tractors, while the Russian oligarchs anchor their yachts in Cuba's Caribbean ports.

Your framing of it has the exact same condescending, paternalistic bent that you're complaining about from Kristof. "Golly gee, we're just poor Cubans, nothing we can do about Russian mobsters forcing us to take their money!"

If the Russian mob is moving into Cuba, maybe it's because the Cuban government wants them there, and maybe the Cuban political class are not all as "Por La Patria!" as you hope.

The clean CR has also failed. It's at 52-44 right now, so it can't get to 60 unless a whole bunch of Republicans change their mind. However, so far it's doing one vote better than Trump's plan did (which ended at 50-47, not sure who didn't vote).

A few more Republicans voted in favor than expected though: Alexander, Collins, Gardner, Isakson, Murkowski, and Romney.

Shutdown continues.

Well, the Dem proposal just got more votes (1 more) in the Republican-controlled Senate than the Republican one. Obviously down to strategic voting and whatnot, but the line from now on should be "even Republican senators are turning against Trump's stupid wall, so it's all his responsibility now".

7 minutes ago, denstorebog said:

Well, the Dem proposal just got more votes (1 more) in the Republican-controlled Senate than the Republican one. Obviously down to strategic voting and whatnot, but the line from now on should be "even Republican senators are turning against Trump's stupid wall, so it's all his responsibility now".

It's been his responsibility this whole time.  Back in December when he said he'd sign a clean CR, it passed in the senate without issue.  I'm sure if he said he was ready to sign, Republicans would be vote for a CR the same day.  Any time you're ready Donald. 

This vote doesn't improve the optics any for Republicans.  The only good news is that Manchin voted for the Trump bill, so you could arguably call it "bipartisan", but the fact remains that the Democrats have a simpler story to tell, their plan is more popular and they don't have any strings attached to it, unlike the Republican bill. 

A useful experiment that told us where everyone stood (if Manchin is up for reelection in 2024, does this mean he really is in favor of a wall? The list of things he needs to be forgiven for and not primaries grows longer).

Not sure how to get 8 more Republican Senators on board. As I mentioned before, there are 23 ish of them who sometimes cross party lines, and most of them who responded to the Atlantic survey about their opinion of the CR bill voted for it. Probably need to focus on the other 15-17.  

Ugh - Florida racist steps down

https://apnews.com/c494f07aaaef4a55bb4dddb17474ae8e

DeSantis appointed a Sec of State who wore blackface and a sign saying 'Katrina victim' to a party. At least he didn't try to defend it (SoS or DeSantis) like he did 'monkey it up'. 

edit: I spoke too soon. Read the linked article and this is what DeSantis said "It's unfortunate. He's done a lot of good work," he said, adding that he accepted the resignation because "I don't want to get mired in side controversies." Fuck him in the ear - unfortunate indeed, motherfucker.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

This vote doesn't improve the optics any for Republicans.  The only good news is that Manchin voted for the Trump bill, so you could arguably call it "bipartisan", but the fact remains that the Democrats have a simpler story to tell, their plan is more popular and they don't have any strings attached to it, unlike the Republican bill. 

Which again raises the question of why McConnell allowed the CR vote.  I can't believe he's naive enough to believe the two explanations I've seen:  First, that it was an attempt to "sow discord" between "moderate" Democrats and their leadership.  If anything, the votes suggest discord between McConnell and his moderates.  Or two, to demonstrate that the clean CR bill wasn't going to get enough votes in the Senate.  Well, duh, everybody already knew that.  I also don't believe the six GOP Senators that voted for the CR "pressured" McConnell into holding the vote.  There's absolutely no indication of that, and even if they did, I don't see why McConnell would give in to their pressure.

McConnell could have given the Trump vote it's own news cycle, where Republicans could just keep repeating "Democrats voted down Trump's attempt to compromise."  Instead, the dual votes make it look like both sides are intransigent (at best, for the GOP).  Unless there's some hidden agenda here, McConnell really seems to have stepped in it here, which is very uncharacteristic.

In other news, Pelosi's House Dem "counteroffer" vote tomorrow now will reportedly include $5 billion in border protection.  I said over the weekend that Pelosi's scheduled pointless House vote didn't count as a valid "counteroffer," but that was when it was only gonna be around $1 billion in additional border funding.  Putting almost as much on the table as Trump wants for the wall is significant, and a good move.

8 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think he is trying to strike a deal with Schumer, and this was probably a good faith gesture on his part. While he has been in lockstep with Trump till now, I'm sure he wants an end to all this and in all reality is probably agnostic on an actual wall being built.

Maybe, and hopefully.  I'm way too cynical to believe that as of yet.  And while I'd bet good money McConnell doesn't give a shit if the wall is built personally, I don't think that enters into his political calculus.

4 hours ago, sperry said:

Your last point is the problem. Trump has never been negotiating in good faith. He's made his whole career on nebulous claims of "winning", and I think he's finally backed himself into a corner where there's no solution that will be acceptable to the Dems that he can spin to his base as a "win." He doesn't care about what's good for America, so he's going to be willing to burn things down.

Probably, and in a way that will inevitably force Pelosi's hand. Remember, Republicans have the unfair advantage of knowing that Democrats actually care about the well being of the public.

15 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think he is trying to strike a deal with Schumer, and this was probably a good faith gesture on his part. While he has been in lockstep with Trump till now, I'm sure he wants an end to all this and in all reality is probably agnostic on an actual wall being built.

McConnell and good faith don't belong in the same sentence.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Maybe, and hopefully.  I'm way too cynical to believe that as of yet.  And while I'd bet good money McConnell doesn't give a shit if the wall is built personally, I don't think that enters into his political calculus.

McConnell has changed a lot over the last thirty years. He started off as a realtively moderate senator who was a policy guy. He even supported abortion rights. But over time he cared less and less about policy and more about winning, and now it's the only thing that drives him. Democrats need to use that against him.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Your framing of it has the exact same condescending, paternalistic bent that you're complaining about from Kristof. "Golly gee, we're just poor Cubans, nothing we can do about Russian mobsters forcing us to take their money!"

If the Russian mob is moving into Cuba, maybe it's because the Cuban government wants them there, and maybe the Cuban political class are not all as "Por La Patria!" as you hope.

Of all the tourists visiting Cuba in a year, over half are Canadian. I still remember what I was told in Cuba when Obama first took steps to ease the embargo. "Cuba will always remember who her friends are and who stood by her all these years. "

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

McConnell has changed a lot over the last thirty years. He started off as a realtively moderate senator who was a policy guy. He even supported abortion rights. But over time he cared less and less about policy and more about winning, and now it's the only thing that drives him. Democrats need to use that against him.

You have to destroy his hocruxes first.

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

In other news, Pelosi's House Dem "counteroffer" vote tomorrow now will reportedly include $5 billion in border protection.  I said over the weekend that Pelosi's scheduled pointless House vote didn't count as a valid "counteroffer," but that was when it was only gonna be around $1 billion in additional border funding.  Putting almost as much on the table as Trump wants for the wall is significant, and a good move.

What the fuck is this shit? The article is remarkably light on details, but if Dems are just giving $5 billion in non-wall border security to Trump just to open the government and without any asks, then any fucking Dem involved in writing that bill and/or voting for it needs to be fucking pilloried.

Archived