Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

I watched the first episode of the BBC and Netflix limited series Black Earth Rising about a Tutsi woman who was adopted as child by an international criminal prosecutor. Her mother takes on a case before the ICC to prosecute a general for war crimes who was a Tutsi hero during the Rwandan genocide. Of course this creates conflict between the mother and daughter who still sees the general as a hero. The daughter, Kate, is now seeking to learn about her own past in Rwanda.

Excellent performances by not only the mother(Eve Ashby) and daughter(Kate Ashby), played by Harriet Walter and Michaela Coel, respectively, but also the supporting cast made up such actors as John Goodman and Danny Sipani(Sembene to all us Penny Dreadful fans).

There is an awful lot to process pertaining to the Rwandan genocide specifically, but also broader issues and questions such as justice and post-colonialism.

I finally watched Hereditary. I didn't find it scary , and I thought I would disagree about the movie being better if the mom was just unhinged, but upon watching it, since she was unhinged anyway in addition to the supernatural stuff...I think it would have been better as a psychological study w/out the demon worshipping.

Deadly Class is getting a LOT better than the first episode. The chemistry between characters is really gelling and quite good, including a much improved relationship between Maria and Saya. It has the wonderful combination of the misery of high school with the bizarre psychopathic tendencies, all with 80s music in the mix. 

10 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Deadly Class is getting a LOT better than the first episode. The chemistry between characters is really gelling and quite good, including a much improved relationship between Maria and Saya. It has the wonderful combination of the misery of high school with the bizarre psychopathic tendencies, all with 80s music in the mix. 

I wasn’t crazy about the the stuff with Master Lin and his sister or whatever. She was a little too OTT. They’re going pretty far from his character in the comics it seems. 

We just watched Sierra Burgess Is A Loser on Netflix; a teenage rom-com that’s a modern retelling of Cyrano de Bergerac / Roxeanne with the genders reversed. But the main character comes off as a female incel who doesn’t in any way deserve everything to magically turn out perfect for her.  Entitlement, catfishing, minor sexual assault, betrayal and lots of selfishness.

Can you tell I disagreed with the character’s arc?

2 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I wasn’t crazy about the the stuff with Master Lin and his sister or whatever. She was a little too OTT. They’re going pretty far from his character in the comics it seems. 

I dunno. A room of furniture slaves was kind of awesome. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:17 AM, Astromech said:

I watched the first episode of the BBC and Netflix limited series Black Earth Rising about a Tutsi woman who was adopted as child by an international criminal prosecutor. Her mother takes on a case before the ICC to prosecute a general for war crimes who was a Tutsi hero during the Rwandan genocide. Of course this creates conflict between the mother and daughter who still sees the general as a hero. The daughter, Kate, is now seeking to learn about her own past in Rwanda.

Excellent performances by not only the mother(Eve Ashby) and daughter(Kate Ashby), played by Harriet Walter and Michaela Coel, respectively, but also the supporting cast made up such actors as John Goodman and Danny Sipani(Sembene to all us Penny Dreadful fans).

There is an awful lot to process pertaining to the Rwandan genocide specifically, but also broader issues and questions such as justice and post-colonialism.

This show ultimately frustrated me. The first 3 episodes were excellent (particularly the second) but it floundered a lot in the latter half and never quite matched the initial promise. Some excellent performances and an interesting subject though. 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

This show ultimately frustrated me. The first 3 episodes were excellent (particularly the second) but it floundered a lot in the latter half and never quite matched the initial promise. Some excellent performances and an interesting subject though. 

Damn, that's a shame. I'm only through the first 3 episodes so have yet to experience the last half of the series. Michaela Cole has been excellent though.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Damn, that's a shame. I'm only through the first 3 episodes so have yet to experience the last half of the series. Michaela Cole has been excellent though.

It's still worth sticking with even if it's just fir Michaela Cole. Someone needs to snap her up for higher profile work before the competition beats them to it. 

Watched The Wicker Man for the umpteenth time last night. I had been listening to the soundtrack this week and had a craving for it. I will never tire of its charm. It also led to my husband reading an online biography of Christopher Lee's long and fascinating life. Pretty much a one off; we'll never see his like again.

8 minutes ago, Isis said:

Watched The Wicker Man for the umpteenth time last night. I had been listening to the soundtrack this week and had a craving for it. I will never tire of its charm. It also led to my husband reading an online biography of Christopher Lee's long and fascinating life. Pretty much a one off; we'll never see his like again.

Was it as good as the remake though??

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Was it as good as the remake though??

The re-make is great and I have a craving to re-watch that as well now.

When you think about it, you couldn't improve on the original. It's timeless. The only thing you could do is to make something incredibly, laughably bad which was merely inspired by the original work. I still love Lee's comment when an interviewer asked what he thought about the re-make and Lord Summerisle becoming lady Summerisle. 'What do I think of it? I think nothing at all.'

Whatever the ABC Murders is, it is not Agatha Christie. No charm, no wit and really bad plotting, none of which has anything to do with Christie's Poirot novel. Worse, Poirot was given an entirely different backstory to that Christie had given him.  None of the other characters were what they were in Christie either.

So why bother calling it Poirot at all?

Worse, all these changes interfered with experiencing the ABC Murders and Malkovich's performance in a fair and constant way -- because there was nothing of Poirot and Christie present, and that's why I'm hooked in -- Agatha Christie and Poirot.  Whether that is fair of me as a viewer or not, is beside the point because "Christie" and "Poirot" are how the production is advertised and presented, so thus we viewers are going to have some expectations derived from both-- none of which are met. 

I’m watching Westworld and I’m mind-blown. 

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

And Ramin Djawadi is a genius. My obsession with the soundtrack is closing to a Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer level. I’ll have the main theme in my mind on repeat for the next two weeks. And his Paint It Black version was a dream. 

40 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m watching Westworld and I’m mind-blown. 

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

And Ramin Djawadi is a genius. My obsession with the soundtrack is closing to a Howard Shore or Hans Zimmer level. I’ll have the main theme in my mind on repeat for the next two weeks. And his Paint It Black version was a dream. 

The universe is imploding because you;

a) enjoy a show (:P) 

b) Share an opinion on entertainment with me

Archived