Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

On 2/5/2019 at 3:16 AM, Triskele said:

I'm doing an episode on this new Attenborough show Dynasties.  The chimp one (of course).  It's pretty wild. 

Absolute bastards. I'm well behind on it, it hasn't gripped me like planet earth etc but I can't put my finger on why.

We are currently watching sex education on Netflix, which is pretty fucking funny. I'm not sure how such a deserted place has such a huge secondary school, and the programme as a whole is weirdly anachronistic. I can't tell if that is deliberate. 

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Absolute bastards. I'm well behind on it, it hasn't gripped me like planet earth etc but I can't put my finger on why.

We are currently watching sex education on Netflix, which is pretty fucking funny. I'm not sure how such a deserted place has such a huge secondary school, and the programme as a whole is weirdly anachronistic. I can't tell if that is deliberate. 

I think it's because it's too focused on a set of animals. The "planet" shows are a medley of all sorts of things meaning there's always a section people will enjoy even if it's not all great. Dynasties are a lot more like the regular "natural world episodes". I know it sounds jaded but "penguins" and "lions" feels a bit "been there, done that".

Finally it's not by the "earth" creative team - they've been making the Netflix show.

I've tried the first episode of "russian doll" but I'm not really sold on it at all. I didn't find the character very relatable/likeable which is a problem and there didn't seem to be much sense of urgency given the premise. It could also be my general wariness of trendy new yorker shows as it feels like it's written by people who assume that everyone lives a similar life to them (but maybe that is how everyone lives and I'm just super boring?). That said, i will give it another epidode because i felt exactly the same about "Patrick Melrose" ,for similar reasons, and wound up loving it from episode 2 on.

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

I've tried the first episode of "russian doll" but I'm not really sold on it at all. I didn't find the character very relatable/likeable which is a problem and there didn't seem to be much sense of urgency given the premise. It could also be my general wariness of trendy new yorker shows as it feels like it's written by people who assume that everyone lives a similar life to them (but maybe that is how everyone lives and I'm just super boring?). That said, i will give it another epidode because i felt exactly the same about "Patrick Melrose" ,for similar reasons, and wound up loving it from episode 2 on.

The concept seems quite fun to me, but after watching the trailer and just seeing the same people in the same upper west side style NY apartment, it didn't seem to be all that enticing.

37 minutes ago, red snow said:

I've felt the same after watching the first episode. I haven't tried watching more, yet.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

The concept seems quite fun to me, but after watching the trailer and just seeing the same people in the same upper west side style NY apartment, it didn't seem to be all that enticing.

The next episode needs to allow a break from that party as it will become stale pretty quickly

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I've felt the same after watching the first episode. I haven't tried watching more, yet.

That's it with the abundance of tv these days - the first episode has to grab you or your attention drifts to the many other shows you could be watching. At least the episodes are only 30 minutes. 

Russian Doll gets moving very quickly. If it doesn't grab you by the second ep, probably drop it. That said, if you don't like Nadia then you're just not going to like the show, most likely. Her performance is phenomenal, but it is also a major factor in the series, and in a lot of ways her being an asshole and unlikeable is central to the entire story and plot and meaning of everything. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Russian Doll gets moving very quickly. If it doesn't grab you by the second ep, probably drop it. That said, if you don't like Nadia then you're just not going to like the show, most likely. Her performance is phenomenal, but it is also a major factor in the series, and in a lot of ways her being an asshole and unlikeable is central to the entire story and plot and meaning of everything. 

I'll certainly give it one more episode. I don't mind the character not being so likeable if it fits in with the story. There's no doubting the performance is excellent - I've no idea what the actor is like in real life but she comes across as very authentic in the show

20 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'll certainly give it one more episode. I don't mind the character not being so likeable if it fits in with the story. There's no doubting the performance is excellent - I've no idea what the actor is like in real life but she comes across as very authentic in the show

Russian Doll in a lot of ways is an autobiography of Natasha Lyonne, and it really shows. She's one of the most characters I've seen in any medium, and she's absolutely unlikeable (and is called on it, often) - and that is hugely part of the show and the mystery. 

The more I think about it since watching it, the more it has grown on me. It's one of my favorite TV shows. I almost never rewatch things, but I want to rewatch this. 

7 hours ago, King Roberts beard said:

Just started watching Quarry. I'm really enjoying it so far.

I was really disappointed when they cancelled Quarry after one season...  I thought it was excellent... watch for a one-shot in ep 7 (I think).... it's during a flashback scene to the war... its friggin amazing. 

We just finished You on Netflix. It's generally very effective and captivating, but it starts to tend too much to coincidences in the second half. And there are far too many severe-looking head injuries that seem to be just walked off. 

Also watched Killing Eve which was tremendous and glitzy and weird. 

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Russian Doll in a lot of ways is an autobiography of Natasha Lyonne, and it really shows. She's one of the most characters I've seen in any medium, and she's absolutely unlikeable (and is called on it, often) - and that is hugely part of the show and the mystery. 

The more I think about it since watching it, the more it has grown on me. It's one of my favorite TV shows. I almost never rewatch things, but I want to rewatch this. 

All of this. There is some interesting growth for the character and the premise and mystery of it grows as the show goes on. I thought it was fantastic and while I couldn't relate to the character at all, I know they exist and I liked following the journey. My wife and I loved it.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

I was really disappointed when they cancelled Quarry after one season...  I thought it was excellent... watch for a one-shot in ep 7 (I think).... it's during a flashback scene to the war... its friggin amazing. 

This. It was a slow burn initially, but such a good series. The ending was excellent and a perfect set up for a second season. I still want to read the books the series was based on.

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yep I've finished it now and the war scene was quite something. 

I did really enjoy the season and the central relationship really affected me in a way that I can't quite put my finger on yet.

Still watching Punisher S2 and still liking it, have 2 episodes to go.  Also watching The Passage, seems ok so far. Just enough supernatural and action combined to keep me interested.

Also watching The Curse of Oak Island (small island in Nova Scotia. I started it like 2-3 season in, it's sort of a reality show based on an unknown treasure being buried there by parties unknown hundreds of years ago. It was supposedly booby trapped and cursed, hence the name of the show. Some items lead them to believe Crusaders/Knights Templar, Vikings, and even Romans. Some damn interesting things being found on the island.  I will say it can get tedious because a lot is repetitive and the person doing the narrating kills me, so fast forward when you can.

Finished Justified S5 during flights this week and last.  Still very good, although jailhouse Ava and hostile Art made the season a bit of a downer.  And ep2 of S6 starts with a pretty bleak tone to boot. 

With more flights this week and next, I’ll probably finish S6.  Then I’ll need something new to watch on airplanes. 

Archived