Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

11 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’ve started watching The White Queen. I can’t quite find the words to express how absolutely guttingly ghastly it is. And this is just the first episode. 

It gets much, much worse.  I had to finally give up on it because the invented history was too much for me. 

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It gets much, much worse.  I had to finally give up on it because the invented history was too much for me. 

That was an unexpected, but useful warning :lol: thank you. I think I might stick around for a few more episodes before I give up, just to see how much worse it can get. 

Update: 

Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious. This is going fast. I mean the show downhill from an already awful start. 

7 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

That was an unexpected, but useful warning :lol: thank you. I think I might stick around for a few more episodes before I give up, just to see how much worse it can get. 

LOL.  It is still much better than The White Princess, which was unwatchable almost from the first. 

39 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

LOL.  It is still much better than The White Princess, which was unwatchable almost from the first. 

It’s hard to imagine that it can be worse than what I’m - for some inexplicable reason - still watching over here. :eek: 

man, these characters are ridiculous.... the acting... the plot.... the time jumps..... everything. Everybody is soooo blatantly obviously stupid, it’s like straight out of a harlequin book. It’s amazing how something can be so bad. Poor James Frain. 

43 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

It’s hard to imagine that it can be worse than what I’m - for some inexplicable reason - still watching over here. :eek: 

man, these characters are ridiculous.... the acting... the plot.... the time jumps..... everything. Everybody is soooo blatantly obviously stupid, it’s like straight out of a harlequin book. It’s amazing how something can be so bad. Poor James Frain. 

In response to criticisms of the series being "ahistorical", Gregory stated that "What [BBC One and Starz] wanted was not a historical series based on the documents from the War of the Roses. They wanted my take on it, so that's what they got.

She should be arrested for crimes against history, or something, LOL [joking]. 

Yes, the time jumps were crazy, I had originally assumed it would be either a 3 or 4 year series, to get all the way to Richard III taking the throne , when I realized that they intended to cover the entire length of Edwards reign and into Richard's in 10 episodes, I realized it was going to be pretty bad.  And of course, Elizabeth Woodville doesn't really age at all.  

32 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I didn't make it past the first episode, it sounds like I had a lucky escape if it gets even worse after that.

47 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

In response to criticisms of the series being "ahistorical", Gregory stated that "What [BBC One and Starz] wanted was not a historical series based on the documents from the War of the Roses. They wanted my take on it, so that's what they got.

She should be arrested for crimes against history, or something, LOL [joking]. 

Yes, the time jumps were crazy, I had originally assumed it would be either a 3 or 4 year series, to get all the way to Richard III taking the throne , when I realized that they intended to cover the entire length of Edwards reign and into Richard's in 10 episodes, I realized it was going to be pretty bad.  And of course, Elizabeth Woodville doesn't really age at all.  

That’s okay. I personally didn’t study English history in detail, so historical inaccuracy doesn’t necessarily bother me (plus, I know how Starz feels about historical accuracy, having watched and rewatched Spartacus - which I did absolutely love). I do hate overly obvious anachronisms though. If you aren’t going to get the facts right, the least you can do for authenticity is work on the context. That was my huge issue with Reign. The biggest trouble here though, is that her take seems to be a low quality harlequin book. 

I’m not sure why they didn’t start later in the timeline. Also, if you do a 3 year time jump, and some kids age 6 years while other kids age the one hour that must have been between shooting the scenes, you kinda make a complete fool of yourself. Then again, Lagertha is still alive and still looks like a 35 year old with a Pinterest hair cut, so our biggest timejump problem is hardly Henry Tudor. 

Ugh, this show. 

31 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I didn't make it past the first episode, it sounds like I had a lucky escape if it gets even worse after that.

I’m only two episodes in, but so far I can only reaffirm how luck that escape was. 

Finished Russian Doll. I went from not liking it.. to actually binge watching it, and sneaking off to go watch ten minutes here and there. 

Turns out it maybe wasn't worth it after all, I appreciated the ending, but of course these things are never as clever or as interesting as you imagine them to be.

3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I finally got around to seeing The End of the Tour where Segel plays David Foster Wallace.  Solid little move if you ask me, but I thought Segel's performance was very strong and an impressive turn in a drama.  

I really enjoyed his performance in that too.  After watching FSM I went and looked Segel up on imdb, because TEotT is the last thing I remembered seeing him in, and it looks like he hasn't been doing all that much lately in film and tv.  Looks like he's been co-writing children's and YA books.

22 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

snipped

I’m only two episodes in, but so far I can only reaffirm how luck that escape was. 

How far did you get?  Are you still going, LOL?  I sort of felt like there was a good show in there somewhere, trying to get out, but it couldn't get past the writing.

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

How far did you get?  Are you still going, LOL?  I sort of felt like there was a good show in there somewhere, trying to get out, but it couldn't get past the writing.

Oh, you won’t believe, I’m actually still going, I think I watched like 5 episodes. It does have a morbid entertainment value to sit and cringe and laugh and watch them screw up over and over and over and over again. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh, you won’t believe, I’m actually still going, I think I watched like 5 episodes. It does have a morbid entertainment value to sit and cringe and laugh and watch them screw up over and over and over and over again. 

I threw in the towel at 7, I had reached my limit.  I am a sucker for Tudor period pieces, so I tried hard to stick with it, but, as someone who likes history to sort of remotely resemble history, I finally couldn't take it anymore.  

Dragon Prince is just as good as first season. I'm impressed at how they can make characters so likeable when they are doing pretty evil things eg trying to kill someone via a game. The show also manages to do human that's contemporary/our world specific without breaking the spell of this being a fantasy world - I'm looking at you Rian Johnson and you're TLJ jokes!

The whole thing just has a charm about it while being a cool fantasy - even if it's obvious where it's getting its ideas and worldbuilding from. Shame it's just 9 episodes again but hopefully it'll keep coming out every 4-5 months a bit like how Voltron got through 30 odd seasons in 3 years

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I threw in the towel at 7, I had reached my limit.  I am a sucker for Tudor period pieces, so I tried hard to stick with it, but, as someone who likes history to sort of remotely resemble history, I finally couldn't take it anymore.  

:lol: well you certainly made me curious about what happens in episode 7. I loooooved the Tudors (even though that took an ugly turn after season 2 as well and had its own accuracy issues) and I had originally hoped this would be something similar. But it took about 5 minutes for the white queen to shatter that hope. 

Archived