Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

22 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, I enjoyed Ben and Zach especially, found Diego vs Luther (Billy Bones!) to be cliche and dull in the extreme, thought Alisson was OK, saw no point in Vanya, and I enjoyed the teaser of the imminent apocalypse and the mystery of the assassins.  So I do enjoy it but wasn’t sure if it would start deferring the apocalypse story to multiple seasons, or get bogged down with sibling bickering.

Tons of emo sibling bickering with some weird mystery assassins and a big apocolypse thrown in. I found it meh but some people here seem to enjoy it. I don't think the quirkiness sticks and that's what made some of the early episodes bearable for me.

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Tons of emo sibling bickering with some weird mystery assassins and a big apocolypse thrown in. I found it meh but some people here seem to enjoy it. I don't think the quirkiness sticks and that's what made some of the early episodes bearable for me.

So much emo.  Ellen Page has really taken her craft to the next level.  I didn't hate the show, but I definitely didn't love it either.  Very middling.

20 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

The first episode of Derry Girls was hilarious again :bowdown:

Do you mean of season two or that you re-watched the first of the first season?

Has there been anything quite like this on tv before?  Well, maybe, in the UK, of which I haven't watched much in ye olden days that didn't get picked up by PBS - Masterpiece here in the USA, or showed up on movie screens as films, such as Topsy Turvey, Nicholas Nickleby, and quite few other re-adaptations of classic literature.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Do you mean of season two or that you re-watched the first of the first season?

Has there been anything quite like this on tv before?  Well, maybe, in the UK, of which I haven't watched much in ye olden days that didn't get picked up by PBS - Masterpiece here in the USA, or showed up on movie screens as films, such as Topsy Turvey, Nicholas Nickleby, and quite few other re-adaptations of classic literature.

Season two ;) 

It's brilliant in such an understated way. Really great how even with that setting, you can still get swept up in the girls' tribulations. 

Deadly Class was good this week, not great, but good. It was a bottle ep, and ended up doing it an interesting way. 

Spoiler

Also, love what they did with the threesome with Petra and how Lin broke Marcus. The blood on his face and watching the home movies was excellent. 

9 hours ago, briantw said:

I need to do that before the new season. Probably just gonna watch the last few seasons though to refresh my memory as to the more significant book changes, like the bold decision to make Euron completely suck.

Yeah I was scrolling through the dvr and kept stopping on GOT and was like why keep fighting it. I fast fwd through the Arya/Sansa fake drama from S7, 3 episodes of it anyway.

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Rewatching Into the Spider-Verse and holy crap, it's so very good. 

Best Spider-Man movie by far.  Hell, probably one of the best overall movies I've ever watched.  It won't do as much for you if you didn't grow up a Spider-Man fan, but if you did it ticks every box possible.

Season 2 premier of fleabag was phenomenal. I've no idea how waller-bridges manages to blend the extremes of comedy and drama together so well. She's helped by an amazing cast and the addition of "Moriarty" from "Sherlock" as a trendy priest is more than welcome. I actually prefer him doing comedy than villainy.

I was disappointed/concerned waller-bridges was sidelining season 2 of "killing eve" but if this is what she's being spending her time on, it is already worth it. Just a shame season 2 isn't a box set release like the first one.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Season 2 premier of fleabag was phenomenal. I've no idea how waller-bridges manages to blend the extremes of comedy and drama together so well. She's helped by an amazing cast and the addition of "Moriarty" from "Sherlock" as a trendy priest is more than welcome. I actually prefer him doing comedy than villainy.

I was disappointed/concerned waller-bridges was sidelining season 2 of "killing eve" but if this is what she's being spending her time on, it is already worth it. Just a shame season 2 isn't a box set release like the first one.

She is also running the stage play in New York so it so no wonder she hasn’t had time!

(my understanding is that fleabag was originally a one woman show at the Emmys Edinburgh fringe)

On March 3, 2019 at 2:42 PM, DireWolfSpirit said:

Oh nice, I'll make sure I watch the film version of Suburra eventually as well then.

Yeah that was good and watching the series first didnt spoil anything because they vary a good bit in characters and story.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

The 'lead' actress in Derry girls has the most expressive face I've ever seen. 

She reminds me a lot of Sally Struthers from her Gloria Stivic days.

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/220635/si/Stivic

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=253127

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/196568

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

She is also running the stage play in New York so it so no wonder she hasn’t had time!

(my understanding is that fleabag was originally a one woman show at the Emmys Edinburgh fringe)

I'm curious as to how the one woman play version worked. I guess it was more along the lines of her recounting encounters with people.

I didn't realise it was also a stage play - the concept clearly has legs.

Free Solo was terrific. I caught it on NatGeo but need to see it at a theatre. Some of those shots were vertigo-inducing. My hands were sweating a few times. Made me long for the Yosemite Valley. One of the two most beautiful vistas in the US. The other being Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

Also watched Conagher based on the Louis L'Amour novel starring Sam Elliott and Katharine Ross. Sam Elliott is the perfect cowboy. Delivers some great lines. Wonderfully shot, but some odd editing.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm curious as to how the one woman play version worked. I guess it was more along the lines of her recounting encounters with people.

I didn't realise it was also a stage play - the concept clearly has legs.

If she returns it to the U.K. I will probably make an effort to go see it

Archived