Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

And currently am in the middle of Suburra which is entertaining, id compare it to a B version of Gomorrah, entertaining but not quite Gomorrah level good lol.

Still haven’t started the new season. I’m in the middle of a rewatch of The Shield right now, and I’m too engrossed to watch anything else. 

If you haven’t seen Suburra the film, I highly recommend it. It’s much better than the show. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Still haven’t started the new season. I’m in the middle of a rewatch of The Shield right now, and I’m too engrossed to watch anything else. 

I just started re-watching that a week ago after finishing up The Wire.  Such a great show, even if it is pretty rough around the edges in season one.

Also, Walton Goggins looks really weird in season one with the short-cropped hair.

4 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Did you get the blu rays?

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Also currently doing a rewatch of The Shield and it's so good that I've fallen behind on other shows. Still haven't finished season 2 of Counterpart or season 3 of True Detective (lost a bit of  interest in this one after 5 episodes. It's better than season 2 but that isn't saying much).

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Yep. 

How is the transfer quality?  Did they change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?  Is a smooth transition, or is there unusual panning and extreme close ups?

16 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

How is the transfer quality?  Did they change the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?  Is a smooth transition, or is there unusual panning and extreme close ups?

Transfer is pretty good. They intentionally left in a lot of the grain in the outdoor scenes to maintain the gritty feel, but the detail and colors look great. Never knew Michael Chiklis’ eyes were so blue lol. It is widescreen, but I’m totally fine with that change.  No unusual panning or close ups, just the same distinctive shaky/docudrama type style the show always had. There’s a couple issues so far, 2x12 has a quick shot in the clubhouse that is all blurry for a couple seconds, and they also apparently used a censored European version of Mum during the infamous Aceveda rape scene without Shawn Ryan’s knowledge. The box set itself is gorgeous though. Mill Creek did a really nice job with the packaging. My DVD set with all the discs stacked on top of one another will not be missed. Overall I’m happy with it so far (on season 5 now), and I’m enjoying the hell out of watching The Shield in HD. 

16 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Transfer is pretty good. They intentionally left in a lot of the grain in the outdoor scenes to maintain the gritty feel, but the detail and colors look great. Never knew Michael Chiklis’ eyes were so blue lol. It is widescreen, but I’m totally fine with that change.  No unusual panning or close ups, just the same distinctive shaky/docudrama type style the show always had. There’s a couple issues so far, 2x12 has a quick shot in the clubhouse that is all blurry for a couple seconds, and they also apparently used a censored European version of Mum during the infamous Aceveda rape scene without Shawn Ryan’s knowledge. The box set itself is gorgeous though. Mill Creek did a really nice job with the packaging. My DVD set with all the discs stacked on top of one another will not be missed. Overall I’m happy with it so far (on season 5 now), and I’m enjoying the hell out of watching The Shield in HD. 

I just got to the S2 scene where Vic loses it on Armadillo.  Forgot how great season two is.  Just right out of the gate it shows it isn't fucking around.  Season one was good but didn't really pick up until the Gilroy stuff at the end. 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I just got to the S2 scene where Vic loses it on Armadillo.  Forgot how great season two is.  Just right out of the gate it shows it isn't fucking around.  Season one was good but didn't really pick up until the Gilroy stuff at the end. 

Yeah, S2 is amazing. The final scene of the finale where the team is standing around the money heist haul is one of my favorites of the entire series. I love how everyone but Vic has that troubled wtf did we just do look on their faces, and Live’s Overcome was a perfect song choice. 

29 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Yeah, S2 is amazing. The final scene of the finale where the team is standing around the money heist haul is one of my favorites of the entire series. I love how everyone but Vic has that troubled wtf did we just do look on their faces, and Live’s Overcome was a perfect song choice. 

Ohhhh I was going to mention that scene. I liked it (especially with the music) but upon rewatch it's very noticeable that Ronnie is not included in the final shot of the finale but Vic, Lem, and Shane are... especially when you know Ronnie's fate at the end. I know he wasn't a real actor/ supposed to be a main character but if I could go and change one thing with the series, it would be to give him more screentime and character development so that the series finale hits you that much harder.

33 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Ohhhh I was going to mention that scene. I liked it (especially with the music) but upon rewatch it's very noticeable that Ronnie is not included in the final shot of the finale but Vic, Lem, and Shane are... especially when you know Ronnie's fate at the end. I know he wasn't a real actor/ supposed to be a main character but if I could go and change one thing with the series, it would be to give him more screentime and character development so that the series finale hits you that much harder.

Even Lem didn't get developed all that much until later.  He's basically just there in seasons one and two.

Ah-ha!  While I was gone netflix put up the second half of the second season and season three of Ertugruel: Resurrection!

The scenery alternates between delicate and lovely -- the new ones begin in spring, and breathtaking and magnificent.  We dash between mountain crags and gorges, meadows and steppes, forests and rushing, clear, clean water.

The horses are also there, filling the screen with their own personalities and relationships -- splendid horses indeed.  Just what I wanted for these latest very cold nights, in these bleak days.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:52 AM, Tywin et al. said:

And speaking of must watch HBO documentaries, Leaving Neverland drops this Sunday.

To say this was hard to watch would be an understatement. It literally made me sick to my stomach. Especially part 1, with the detailed accounts of exactly what the abuse entailed. 

The reactions, and treatment towards Safechuck and Robson by deniers is equally as sickening. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Derry girls is back tonight. British terrestrial tv does a shit job of advertising. If I hadn't picked up the metro which I don't normally, I'd be none the wiser. 

Actually I think it’s been pretty well advertised by channel 4 (and associated channels). Which makes a change of course, usually as you say the advertising is awful

Archived