Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

41 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Actually I think it’s been pretty well advertised by channel 4 (and associated channels). Which makes a change of course, usually as you say the advertising is awful

Yeah I've seen ton of adverts. This morning there was an enormous billboard that I went past and plus the front cover of the Metro is taken up entirely by advertising this show.

17 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah I've seen ton of adverts. This morning there was an enormous billboard that I went past and plus the front cover of the Metro is taken up entirely by advertising this show.

Yeah. Maybe I watch too much C4 (the news every night I guess) so I feel like I have lots of ads - I don't watch the show.

I did watch the end of Endeavour at the weekend and feel the immense sadness of knowing we have a year to wait for the next series. However, I was at a beer festival at the weekend and one of our homebrewing acquaintances told us that he played a corpse in the most recent episode, which I thought was pretty cool (and he doesn't even watch the show!).

Also got round to polishing off S3 of The Expanse - which remains to be an improvement on the books.

So I got my wife interested in Endeavour and we’re watching that together.  Still enjoying it.  Onto S3 or even S4 by now (only four eps per season).

Which meant I needed something else to watch by myself during flights.  I just finished Russian Doll yesterday.  Really enjoyed the humor and the interaction between the characters.  A very New York take on Groundhog Day.  The final wrap-up wasn’t entirely satisfying but still very good.

I binge-watched the 2 seasons of a CBS show called Salvation. This falls in the so bad it's good category, though character interactions are often just bad. Still, while season 1 was way too small scale for its premise, season 2 kicked it up a notch, and went bonkers, sometimes in a fun way. It had a number of twists that made it binge-worthy, and the cliffhanger in the finale produced a good chuckle out of me. But, it got cancelled, so that's that.

Endeavour’s final episode (S6) was great, especially the scene with the council block BUT

Spoiler

It was a very convenient wrap up, I mean the two dirty police (and extraneous members of the team) killed each other at the end! Then Thursday’s wife forgave him after months of being inexplicably mad with him and Bright got promoted back to boss level. Essentially reset the show to series 1.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

To say this was hard to watch would be an understatement. It literally made me sick to my stomach. Especially part 1, with the detailed accounts of exactly what the abuse entailed. 

The reactions, and treatment towards Safechuck and Robson by deniers is equally as sickening. 

Agreed. The level of detail leads me to believe that there is no chance they are lying. And Robson’s story in particular shows just how strong grooming can be. I think the most horrifying part is that it makes you wonder how many more victims there are.

Oddly enough, because I couldn’t sleep after watching the second part of Leaving Neverland and the follow up special, I watched Pacific Rim 2.  It’s not a good movie by any means, but if you want a big, dumb monster movie, it’s alright.

7 hours ago, Isis said:

I did watch the end of Endeavour at the weekend and feel the immense sadness of knowing we have a year to wait for the next series.

And this next season will be the final season for Endeavour, according to a story in Radio Times.  However, as I searched for the link to that story, I couldn't find it.  Maybe the producers et al. changed their minds?

10 hours ago, Isis said:

I did watch the end of Endeavour at the weekend and feel the immense sadness of knowing we have a year to wait for the next series. However, I was at a beer festival at the weekend and one of our homebrewing acquaintances told us that he played a corpse in the most recent episode, which I thought was pretty cool (and he doesn't even watch the show!).

Watching the finale now.  That's disappointing that it is the finale.  I was hoping for 6 episodes again like series 5.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

And this next season will be the final season for Endeavour, according to a story in Radio Times.  However, as I searched for the link to that story, I couldn't find it.  Maybe the producers et al. changed their minds?

That would be very disappointing, but 7 years is definitely a good run.  And Evans may want to work on something else...

26 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

On a flight yesterday I tried the first couple of episodes of Umbrella Academy, which seems a bit like a moodier version of Heroes.  Is it worth sticking with this?

Yes, I think so. It definitely is a moodier version of heroes in a lot of ways, but it is still a whole lot of fun at times, and the character beats are quite good. 

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Speed watched a few episodes of GOT last night. Basically skipped my least favorite parts and had an enjoyable couple of hours.  

I need to do that before the new season. Probably just gonna watch the last few seasons though to refresh my memory as to the more significant book changes, like the bold decision to make Euron completely suck.

6 hours ago, dbunting said:

Speed watched a few episodes of GOT last night. Basically skipped my least favorite parts and had an enjoyable couple of hours.  

When you say speed watch, I'd assume cutting out the bad bits means you can get through the whole season in under half an hour?

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

Over the last week, we've watched the first 8 episodes of Season 1. I'm enjoying the re-watch, unnecessary sex scenes and all.

17 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

On a flight yesterday I tried the first couple of episodes of Umbrella Academy, which seems a bit like a moodier version of Heroes.  Is it worth sticking with this?

It’s not better than the first season of Heroes (is better than all other seasons) but it has a quirkiness that makes it more fun in some ways, although honestly if you don’t find that in the first two eps then maybe it’s not for you.

5 minutes ago, john said:

It’s not better than the first season of Heroes (is better than all other seasons) but it has a quirkiness that makes it more fun in some ways, although honestly if you don’t find that in the first two eps then maybe it’s not for you.

Yeah, I enjoyed Ben and Zach especially, found Diego vs Luther (Billy Bones!) to be cliche and dull in the extreme, thought Alisson was OK, saw no point in Vanya, and I enjoyed the teaser of the imminent apocalypse and the mystery of the assassins.  So I do enjoy it but wasn’t sure if it would start deferring the apocalypse story to multiple seasons, or get bogged down with sibling bickering.

20 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Yeah, I enjoyed Ben and Zach especially, found Diego vs Luther (Billy Bones!) to be cliche and dull in the extreme, thought Alisson was OK, saw no point in Vanya, and I enjoyed the teaser of the imminent apocalypse and the mystery of the assassins.  So I do enjoy it but wasn’t sure if it would start deferring the apocalypse story to multiple seasons, or get bogged down with sibling bickering.

Ok, well you’ll get some payoff and some things will continue to annoy you then. :P I don’t think it’s much spoiler to say they do get to the apocalypse in this season but there is a lot of family drama and some of it does feel pointless. There is some other cool stuff though, they get to exploring some of the individual stories through flashbacks in the later episodes and there’s time jumps, even different timelines.

Archived