Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The universe is imploding because you;

a) enjoy a show (:P) 

b) Share an opinion on entertainment with me

:lmao: I do enjoy a lot of shows, thank you very much :lol:  For the first few seasons, at least, before production screws them up and I’m left disappointed and complaining  :leaving: 

Yeah :blushing: I have nothing to argue with there, I do have this twisted taste in entertainment I suppose and people rarely agree with me (is that right, @First of My Name?). oh well :lol:  

Was stuck on the bus when I came back from skiing and I managed to see three films:

Creed, which I brought myself and which continues to impress me as a film. It has style, it has story and it has such emotional heft. I still can't believe how lucky we are that the seventh film in a franchise can be this good (definitely the best of the series, although I still have to watch the sequel).

Then the bus drivers also had some films for us:

The first was Going Out in Style, which is a truly mediocre film. I sniggered a few times, but overall I found it so uninspiring that I can't believe anyone involved really thought it worth their time making it. A bit of a shame really, I have seen worse films that I could respect more, because those tried something and failed, unlike films like this which are just kind of there.

The second one was Sully, which was okay. I didn't get the complete nuances, since they for some reason had it on in German, but it was nice. It reminded me of other films though. I can't really remember which one anymore, but I remember seeing it and being like 'that reminds me off...' not really relevant as such, but perhaps someone had a similar feeling and might take a guess.  

And one question:

Anyone seen Wayne yet? The new Youtube Red original? I'm willing to give them a shot after Cobra Kai, but the first episode was something I couldn't altogether finish. It was taking chances though, which I like, so if anyone has a take on it feel free to inform me :) 

All right. The pink fog has dissolved. I do after all have some continuity issues with Westworld. 

Spoiler

How do these touch screen control panels not have Touch ID? My simple little mobile phone does. And Maeve just gets to make all kinds of modifications on any random control panel she takes away from the two tech guys? 

Speaking of the tech guys, they are painfully one-dimensional and unrealistic which stands out in a story so full of rich and (sometimes overly) complex characters. I mean I find it harder to believe that simple tech employees  could or would spiral into such mess unnoticed, than the whole technology of hosts. And this place really not have a cameras or staff to monitor what’s going on in the GLASS rooms? Where employees have sexual relations with hosts or get murdered by them? seriously? Nobody notices that shit? 

And speaking of believable, I’m still waiting for at least some kind of shallow margin note about how and why a 30 year old woman with Charlotte’s level of inappropriate work  behavior is sitting on the board of a multi-billion business. Is she some sort Mozart of the corporate world? Is she an engineering genius? Is she a hard-working and lucky underdog who used to have student loans and worked 20 hours a day to get ahead in her career? Is she the daughter of a shareholder? Why is this person in a position of power at such an early age when she opens the door to management level co-workers butt naked? I mean I get you want to convey a message, but context would Hardly hurt. 

And HOW could Logan get lost? Do these people not keep their guests in check? What kinda customer care is that? 

20 minutes into s1e10, I feel like we are in the middle of a plot whirlpool we won’t be able to get out of. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I’m not saying I no longer enjoy it, it’s a genius idea , but like most hydra-size pieces of entertainment, it sometimes feels like it’s eating itself. 

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

The second one was Sully, which was okay. I didn't get the complete nuances, since they for some reason had it on in German, but it was nice. It reminded me of other films though. I can't really remember which one anymore, but I remember seeing it and being like 'that reminds me off...' not really relevant as such, but perhaps someone had a similar feeling and might take a guess.  

Flight?

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

All right. The pink fog has dissolved. I do after all have some continuity issues with Westworld. 

Reveal hidden contents

How do these touch screen control panels not have Touch ID? My simple little mobile phone does. And Maeve just gets to make all kinds of modifications on any random control panel she takes away from the two tech guys? 

Speaking of the tech guys, they are painfully one-dimensional and unrealistic which stands out in a story so full of rich and (sometimes overly) complex characters. I mean I find it harder to believe that simple tech employees  could or would spiral into such mess unnoticed, than the whole technology of hosts. And this place really not have a cameras or staff to monitor what’s going on in the GLASS rooms? Where employees have sexual relations with hosts or get murdered by them? seriously? Nobody notices that shit? 

And speaking of believable, I’m still waiting for at least some kind of shallow margin note about how and why a 30 year old woman with Charlotte’s level of inappropriate work  behavior is sitting on the board of a multi-billion business. Is she some sort Mozart of the corporate world? Is she an engineering genius? Is she a hard-working and lucky underdog who used to have student loans and worked 20 hours a day to get ahead in her career? Is she the daughter of a shareholder? Why is this person in a position of power at such an early age when she opens the door to management level co-workers butt naked? I mean I get you want to convey a message, but context would Hardly hurt. 

And HOW could Logan get lost? Do these people not keep their guests in check? What kinda customer care is that? 

20 minutes into s1e10, I feel like we are in the middle of a plot whirlpool we won’t be able to get out of. Maybe I’m wrong. 

I’m not saying I no longer enjoy it, it’s a genius idea , but like most hydra-size pieces of entertainment, it sometimes feels like it’s eating itself. 

I'd say that, if anything season 2 really doubles down on the whole "eating itself" part. 

Watched a couple Netflix movies last night. First one was Velvet Buzzsaw. Didn’t care for it much. Jake Gyllenhaal’s performance was pretty funny, but that was about it. Disappointing considering it was by the same director that did Nightcrawler.

The other one was Hold the Dark. Liked it much more. I remember people being very down on it here when it first came out, and it has terrible audience scores in general, but it worked well enough for me. I love movies with a snowy setting (especially horror), and I thought it was pretty atmospheric. Not great, but worth watching once. 

HBO documentary, Breslin and Hamill -- all thumbs up, with the exception of the focus on mourning with their passing, and that of others such as Tom Wolfe, etc., the end of 'masculine journalism.'  More to the point, we should mourn the end of newspapers with responsible, brilliant, independent journalists, who were supported by equally brilliant editors, regardless of gender.  Also, photography was a lot more interesting back then because not everybody was trying to be a subject / object of photography, utterly self-conscious and spending all their time and money being photo ready for selfies and instagram.

There's a photo of a bus filled with NY journalists rolling to Dallas in the aftermath of the JFK assassination that is brilliant and just broke my heart -- it was taken from the rear, and every passenger had a newspaper open, hoovering up the latest lines on the tragedy, many of them reading the same paper.  Can't do that today.

Binged Russian Dolls last night. I'm not honestly sure how I feel about it. I liked it, a lot, and it had one of the most memorable characters I've seen in a while. But I also find myself unsatisfied by it in ways, and I'm not sure what to take away from it. 

ETA: apparently that was entirely its intention - that they wanted to do a story about being haunted, and in turn create a sort of haunting - so mission accomplished. 

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

No, that wasn't it, but my neighbour on the bus was comparing Sully to this one though, so you got close :) 

One movie it made me think of was Courage Under Fire, mainly hearing pieces of Serling's tank battle throughout the movie, and then finally hearing tape of whole battle at the end and seeing that he kept his cool and did the best thing he could do in a bad situation, similar to Sully deciding the Hudson was the best option to put the plane down.

I'll add my voice to Russian Doll fan club... it's f***cking wonderful... I am convinced that this is basically Natasha Lyonne doing reality TV.... knowing a little of her backstory, I wouldn;t be surprised if some version of everything in this show --besides the obvious-- has happened to her. 

Also watched Homecoming over the weekend, and enjoyed it despite my dislike of Julia Roberts. 

On 2/2/2019 at 5:17 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Travelers cancelled.

NOOOOOOOOO!!! :crying: :bawl: :tantrum::frown5:

Well, at least it had closure but open ended enough if anyone else did want to pick it up now or in a couple years, it'd be doable.

Also, I've got so much to watch now the sting isn't too bad.

I just renegotiated my cable...would have cut the cord if it was financially the better option but I think they're getting kinda desperate.

Got HBO, Showtime, Starz, and all the other non-premium networks, plus Netflix along with internet, landline phone, 60 hours of DVR, voice activated remote, some other goodies and I'm playing a lot less than I was. Got all that fixed for two years, then I renegotiate again. 

So now I'm watching Counterpart and when I want a change of pace, Sex Education. Then I'm going to be watching Russian Doll (looking forward to that), Kidding, season 2 of Get Shorty, and latest season of Shameless, then I'll find more good stuff after that.

11 hours ago, Triskele said:

I'm doing an episode on this new Attenborough show Dynasties.  The chimp one (of course).  It's pretty wild. 

The chimpanzee and lion episodes were good. Tigers are magnificent animals, but that episode was a bit dull. I'm looking forward to Saturday night's episode on African wild dogs.

Archived