How will Meryn Trant die?

Euron III Greyjoy

My guess would be him dying when Aegon takes Kings Landing, either by defending the Baratheons/Lannisters, or getting executed by Aegon so he can have his own Kingsguard.

It would be pretty great though it he chose to join the Nights Watch rather then be executed, then gets intercepted by Arya in the Riverlands, or Sansa if she has already started making her way back North at that point. Both girls do have a personal vendetta against him. 

Not soon enough, in my opinion. But I do like the suggestion of Young Griff / Aegon sending Trant to the Wall. Frankly, I'd rather see his unquestioning brutality be of service to the realm, rather than his perishing in some petty personal revenge by ... Sansa? Seriously? What would she do, speak discourteously to him? "A lady's deliberate rudeness is her sharp sword"?

No, but back to Brother Meryn of the Night's Watch - his obedient, literal nature would probably make him a better crow than full-of-himself, upjumped Janos Slynt had been. And perhaps Ser Alliser would take the mickey out of him, too. It's likely the two men have a history, having been on opposite sides during Robert's Rebellion. Trant might prove to be useful in the war against the Others, and there's always time for him to die.

Who says he dies?  And, not to put too fine a point on it, but why would anyone care?  He is a minor character who has essentially disappeared from the story at this point.  If pushed, I would say defending either Cersei or Tommen is most likely. 

If  Arya goes after anyone on the list, it is going to be Ilyn Payne, who has had a bit of buildup lately.  And I have a hard time imagining Sansa doing anything along those lines.  Remember, this is someone who was horrified at Joffrey's death, and he was a damn sight worse than ser Meryn could ever be.

9 hours ago, zandru said:

Not soon enough, in my opinion. But I do like the suggestion of Young Griff / Aegon sending Trant to the Wall. Frankly, I'd rather see his unquestioning brutality be of service to the realm, rather than his perishing in some petty personal revenge by ... Sansa? Seriously? What would she do, speak discourteously to him? "A lady's deliberate rudeness is her sharp sword"?

No, but back to Brother Meryn of the Night's Watch - his obedient, literal nature would probably make him a better crow than full-of-himself, upjumped Janos Slynt had been. And perhaps Ser Alliser would take the mickey out of him, too. It's likely the two men have a history, having been on opposite sides during Robert's Rebellion. Trant might prove to be useful in the war against the Others, and there's always time for him to die.

Well to be fair I wasn't suggesting that Sansa would kill the man herself, rather she'd get someone to do it for her. 

I agree that it would be interesting to see someone like Meryn Trant at the Wall, but for one reason or another I just don't think he'd make it there alive. 

23 hours ago, King Aegon I Targaryen said:

My guess would be him dying when Aegon takes Kings Landing, either by defending the Baratheons/Lannisters, or getting executed by Aegon so he can have his own Kingsguard.

It would be pretty great though it he chose to join the Nights Watch rather then be executed, then gets intercepted by Arya in the Riverlands, or Sansa if she has already started making her way back North at that point. Both girls do have a personal vendetta against him. 

I want the bastard hung - just as a last kick in the nuts to his House. "So End Our Foes" can be "So End Our Own".

I wouldn't mind seeing Lady Stoneheart kill him - but Arya deserves it for Trants' apparent killing of Syrio.

17 hours ago, zandru said:

Alliser is missing afternoon going out ranging, likely dead or Wighted

12 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I want the bastard hung - just as a last kick in the nuts to his House. "So End Our Foes" can be "So End Our Own".

I wouldn't mind seeing Lady Stoneheart kill him - but Arya deserves it for Trants' apparent killing of Syrio.

Hanged my dear, he is not a tapestry

18 hours ago, Nevets said:

Who says he dies?  And, not to put too fine a point on it, but why would anyone care?  He is a minor character who has essentially disappeared from the story at this point.  If pushed, I would say defending either Cersei or Tommen is most likely. 

If  Arya goes after anyone on the list, it is going to be Ilyn Payne, who has had a bit of buildup lately.  And I have a hard time imagining Sansa doing anything along those lines.  Remember, this is someone who was horrified at Joffrey's death, and he was a damn sight worse than ser Meryn could ever be.

Ahah.  Another example of the show contaminating the forum.  I have to agree with you on this.  Meryn is small fish and his death will be undramatic.  Starvation or exposure to the cold.

5 minutes ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Ahah.  Another example of the show contaminating the forum.  I have to agree with you on this.  Meryn is small fish and his death will be undramatic.  Starvation or exposure to the cold.

You know, if you think he will die from starvation or the cold you could've just said that. You didn't have to wrongfully accuse me of contaminating this forum with the TV Show. 

Cersei will have Sansa prosecuted for Joff's murder, and Sansa will demand a trial by Seven. Trant is particularly noted as Cersei's creature so I think he will survive to be part of Cersei's team of seven champions. He will die in the trial. I think either Jaime will kill him (fighting for Sansa), or Jaime will be credited with killing him (along with another 4 to make 5) and the truth be different, like how the rumours that get to the small folk or the truth that the singers make are different to the real truth. But it could be any other of Sansa's champions that kill him, maybe Barristan as he talks about cutting through the KG too.

6 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Cersei will have Sansa prosecuted for Joff's murder, and Sansa will demand a trial by Seven. Trant is particularly noted as Cersei's creature so I think he will survive to be part of Cersei's team of seven champions. He will die in the trial. I think either Jaime will kill him (fighting for Sansa), or Jaime will be credited with killing him (along with another 4 to make 5) and the truth be different, like how the rumours that get to the small folk or the truth that the singers make are different to the real truth. But it could be any other of Sansa's champions that kill him, maybe Barristan as he talks about cutting through the KG too.

Jaime is a member of the Kingsguard himself, so I doubt that he would be defending Sansa, even if he were to participate.  Given his missing hand, I would anticipate he would try to sit it out.

Barristan is a long ways away and doesn't appear likely to return any time soon.

I doubt a Trial by Seven will occur anyway, although I can imagine a trial by combat for Sansa, with either Sandor or Brienne defending her.

51 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Jaime is a member of the Kingsguard himself, so I doubt that he would be defending Sansa, even if he were to participate.  Given his missing hand, I would anticipate he would try to sit it out.

Barristan is a long ways away and doesn't appear likely to return any time soon.

I doubt a Trial by Seven will occur anyway, although I can imagine a trial by combat for Sansa, with either Sandor or Brienne defending her.

It'll happen as I said in the aftermath of the Dance when Cersei and Sansa are both reaching for the throne. It is Cleganebowl, it is Cersei's downfall at the hands of a younger more beautiful queen, it is Ungregor's unmasking.

Just want to point out, yes I know that Meryn Trant is a minor character in the grand scope of things. I have all the audiobooks so I occasionally listen to some chapters when I'm walking about, and I've recently got to Meryn Trant killing Syrio and beating Sansa. I then proceeded to think, "Wow, I forgot how much I disliked this man. I wonder how he'll die? I think I'll go and ask the people on the ASOIAF forum." If you think he will die a normal boring death then write that.

On 1/24/2019 at 12:24 AM, Nevets said:

Valar Morghulis. He’s not immortal.

Archived