The Magicians Season 4+ [SHOW SPOILER - No Book Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

New episode tonight, old thread is above the limit.

My recording of the episode was like a really bad live stream with halts and skips.  It felt like they were going extremely meta with the brownout thing.  Literally made it unwatchable, so I'll record the 1:00am showing and watch it tomorrow.

I just completed watching season 3 on netflix.  I started back in December, then left the country for a while with no time to watch anything.  In fact, as I found in the previous seasons, taking extended breaks instead of binging, is the only way I can watch this extravagant, way-over-the-top, just too frackin' much series.  I love it, but not in entire dosage.  It always starts to feel like its reached pinnacle of fun and starting downhill, and not in a good way.  And I felt that way by the end of watching season 3.  So a year between seasons to watch seems about right.

Or maybe, it's just that the fairies are always buzzkill to fun?

But I'm certainly hoping you all who are watching season 4 are liking it just as much as before.  But in the trailer, seeing that horrible horned goat returning in 4 definitely buzzkilled my sense of fun.  He is both disgusting and boring, whoever he is?  I've forgotten.  :D

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

But I'm certainly hoping you all who are watching season 4 are liking it just as much as before.  But in the trailer, seeing that horrible horned goat returning in 4 definitely buzzkilled my sense of fun.  He is both disgusting and boring, whoever he is?  I've forgotten.  :D

Ember, one of the two gods who created Fillory, the other one being Umber.

Sorry if that question was meant to be a joke and I took it seriously  'cause I couldn't resist the opportunity to have a Quentin moment.

Eta

Santa Claus, huh?

Just watched the first episode. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! Nice to see people being true to form, lol, cursing like a whole troop of sailors!

Did anyone else think that critter was going to turn into something?

And, nice touch, showing how evil the library is!

Spoiler

Lol, locking up poor Santa...

Kafka is heavy reading for philosophy lovers and coffeehouse pervs.   A journey of the mind, but also of the body.  Straight up weird.  It implies the library has interesting plans to convert Alice into.....???

Disclaimer: I don't remember characters, names, and events for more than 6 weeks.  So that helpful witch who wants to peek underneath their forgetful enchantment..... we've seen her before, right?  Is she more of a jerk than she's letting on?    

20 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Disclaimer: I don't remember characters, names, and events for more than 6 weeks.  So that helpful witch who wants to peek underneath their forgetful enchantment..... we've seen her before, right?  Is she more of a jerk than she's letting on?    

Marina.  She's far from helpful, but she's also from an alternate reality and we haven't seen if she's going to be better or worse than the original.  Probably the latter, because that reality was even more fucked up.

20 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Kafka is heavy reading for philosophy lovers and coffeehouse pervs.   A journey of the mind, but also of the body.  Straight up weird.  It implies the library has interesting plans to convert Alice into.....???

Diaclaimer: I don't remember characters, names, and events for more than 6 weeks.  So that helpful witch who wants to peek underneath their forgetful enchantment..... we've seen her before, right?  Is she more of a jerk than she's letting on?    

Alice requested the book. didn't she? The obvious idea is that Alice plans to change shape in order to escape, but she has no magic. The book is not a how-to, it pretty well describes the position the characters find themselves in.

Didn't Marina in this world die?

On 1/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

New episode tonight, old thread is above the limit.

My recording of the episode was like a really bad live stream with halts and skips.  It felt like they were going extremely meta with the brownout thing.  Literally made it unwatchable, so I'll record the 1:00am showing and watch it tomorrow.

Reading the AV Club recap comments

it seems something was going on with many people's DVRs. Mine included. Weird.

Even as a soulless psychopath I love Eliot/Hale Appleman so much. Sad Quentin cut his hair. 

Curious about Fen and if we see her again as well as this timeline Penny.

• 2 weeks later...

"Well could you please not with the angsty nerdy stuff, huh, no?  Cause that's who you are, and I don't judge you for it."   :D 

Was kind of hoping they would have done more with the comic book alter egos.

Frankie was great, I would be happy if he showed up again, but I doubt that he will.  Bacchus's death scene was pretty brutal.  Really enjoy Hale Appleman's portrayal of the Monster.  Kady slipping Marina "the bear" at the end and reversing their fortunes was fantastic.  I wonder who the guy was that found Marina in the park though.

I meant to post this after the first episode, when they read the book that describes their lives. The initial suggestion is they find the author - James Tiberius R. Martin. Capt. Kirk and George R. 

A bit clumsy but funny.

I assumed no one posted after the 2nd episode because it dragged and was a real letdown after the first.

It was used totally out of context, but the card game was basically out of Book 3. Nice to see a 1% dip into the books, lol!

Bacchus’s death was quite gruesome. He tried to get the Monster to go after someone else, so I assume all the gods have this egg thing in them.

There’s a Greek god that eats his children or siblings, isn’t there? Maybe that’s who the monster is.

eta Cronus was told he would be overthrown by his sons the way he overthrew his father, so he ate them. 

Ooh, the gods pulled a Reverse Chronos and ate the eggs of their ElderGod overlord(s).    Ooooooh!  They're in trouble.  (Pointing)  oooooooh!

Now does Eliot sit on the eggs to hatch them?   Or does he crack them and fry them up and eat and digest them to reabsorb the potency stolen from him?    The gods seemed to be keeping the eggs mostly inert, like an unused internal organ..... or were they using the eggs like a slowly dissolving swallowed tylenol of Godly power infusion?  Maybe the gods owe their entire status as gods to the stolen eggs' slow osmosis of "awesome particles" into their bloodstream!    How scary then, the concept of Eliot breaking the eggs open and harvesting the full potential at one gulp, which the gods seemed unable to survive / unwilling to attempt.

So we all agree it's this timeline Penny that grabbed Alice? And her in coveralls solves the bra/shirt issue. Schmart.

I adore Hale Appleman so much and his portrayal of Eliot possessed is really, very good. 

I didn't expect to love this show and I'm glad I gave it a second go. 

Archived