The Magicians Season 4+ [SHOW SPOILER - No Book Spoilers]

RedEyedGhost

Arrgggghhhhhhhhh!  None of this season's episodes have been long enough!  And we're now past the halfway point.  Loved seeing Fen and Kady getting some love this episode.  Pete was pretty hilarious too.  "You still see Julia?"  No, dude, no.

2 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Really who among us hasn't reeked of non-dairy creamer and despair at one point or another. 

:lol: 

Still enjoying the show but there's just too much plot now. It's getting unfocused. 

Is it a cost cutting measure to only have 3-4 main characters per episode or in the service of story telling? Last week, no Kady or Penny. This week, no Quentin or Eliot. 

Is Julia like a stem cell with more elasticity than a god usually has?   The dragons were concerned , wanted her to "find your truth."   Sounds weird.  The dragons fight wars with gods, yet they want her to return to power.  Why?   What happens if she stays in this dormant state.  Does it build up until she explodes like a dream deferred.   Or Are there other, rarer paths she might tread, not standard godhood but something scarier to dragons.

• 2 weeks later...

So the dragon told Julia to get a move on because it foresaw...this usage of her inbetween status.

Oooooh!   Q can fix small things, like hearts!  They're gonna bone again!   Oooooh, the dean said cockshit!   Oooooh, upjumped librarian gods of the past behaved shamefully in self preservation, and a librarian god of the future is already acting shamefully!    Ooooh, that guy didn't know the difference between Indians and...Indians.

the way Todd said Oh Shit had me pausing to laugh for a minute straight.     Focus, Todd!     

Great Umber's taint!      I'm happy when Alice is happy, I've noticed.   Dean Fog redeemed.   Zelda is the hero this season after sneaking into viewers' hearts and the poison room.  It'd poison my heart if she biffs in the finale.   Julia's back on the horse.   Margo needs to wolf out.   Secret Sea blue eyeshine rocks.   Todd, did you shit in my private bathroom again?

They went from a fantastic first episode to slow and unforgivingly boring episodes to finally pick up in the these last two. I hope the finale matches the start.

These last few episodes also at least picked up a few threads from the books.

Agree to disagree on Zelda. She gets more screen time than any of the main cast and is a worse character. Selfish, boring and twee - meh.

The show really lost focus this year after they ran out of book plots. I don't care if they do stuff not in the books of course but the story should have some narrative coherence. Entertaining but not must see TV anymore... 

Still love the rabbit telegrams.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the show runners clearly lost interest in the main characters as the season went on, giving Fogg and Zelda expanded hammier roles, but this was disappointing. The actor and the character deserved better and this it feels like this was done to try to stick the landing of the season with some kind of pathos without earning it in any way. 

Yes, I was very disappointed as well. It’s seems like everybody has to do a GoT and kill someone off.

There was a good interview with the show writers that popped up on my Google page, explaining why they did what they did, and saying the author was enthusiastic about the idea. 

But I am horribly disappointed. 

Spoiler

Quentin was never the character who had serious mental issues. That was Julia, and her becoming a goddess was her salvation.  Quentin’s story was about his love for Alice and his ability to fix small things, which was a euphemism for small things like, you know, the whole world. And they knock him off. Fuck em, really, fuck em.

Hacking the underworld next season with the library's full resources?    (Alice's mission would be a common quest in mythology.  Bring him back.)

Dark King for 300 years.   Almost has to be a hottie.

So the writers are happy Julia isn't a goddess because it's tough to have challenges when a god is on the team.  But it blows too.  One way to accept it is to say the crew had more wisdom in turning down that power than the library director who overreached and would have made a mess of things.  Her eyes looked great with blue godshine is the problem.

Q.

Archived