Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

Well that was hugely disappointing for Floki. Do they have to crush his faith utterly? There was no need for that, man. 

As for what he found, I guess they’re going with the legends of Irish monks being the first to discover Iceland. Conveniently placing their stone cross in a cave that would have been covered by lava by our time, neatly erasing any such evidence in the present day.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Oh yeah, one more 20 episode season that is supposed to be the last. Then possible spin-offs.

Self delusion has no limits, as we see all day every day everywhere.

It is disappointing how bad this show has become. I disliked that they made Ragnar and Rollo contemporaries in the first place, let alone siblings, and how early in time they placed the two of them, but I was able to get past it because of how much I enjoyed the original cast. It is one thing to have to make decisions between conflicting sources, and fill in blanks because of the nature of the sources, but the further in time the show has gone, and the more the show has expanded, the more absurd it has become.

Another meh episode. 

Are we to believe that Floki is dead or will he rise in two days?

As to Judith... she somehow discovers breast cancer and knows it means death, as does Lagertha...in a time when medical understanding was almost non existent? The she dies almost immediately sigh.. Why do I keep watching? 

It hurts comparing the original cast of characters to this new crop. Props to including Leif's sacrifice in that video. One of my favorite moments from the show.

Rather meh season finale to cap a rather meh season.

That battle was fairly weak. One attempt at the walls and then they retreat, after of course falling into Ivar's trap. I did get a laugh out of Ivar's flame thrower, though.

And a secret entrance? Revealed through betrayal? How original, Hirst!

And how lame was King Olaf and his armchair generalship/commentary from his La-Z-Boy. Hvitserk went through all that trouble to recruit him? Their recounting of Ragnarok was kind of cool, though.

And thank you unnamed, imposing henchman of Ivar for ridding of us at that useless pretender Magnus.

How the hell did Ubbe get to Kattegatt so damn fast?

Did Harald survive?

The ending with Bjorn as king standing above Kattegatt mirroring his father after his crowning was a nice tough. Lagertha presenting him the "sword of kings" was, however, pure cheese.

Please bring back Lagertha v. 1.0!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

It hurts comparing the original cast of characters to this new crop. Props to including Leif's sacrifice in that video. One of my favorite moments from the show.

The ritual scenes, although brutally honest and violent, were shot in such a way which gave an air of dignity to them. It reminded us of how things were used to be done, not use those scenes for pure shock value or trying to be edgy. Season one was only 9 episodes but they dedicated one whole episode to the Uppsala pilgrimage and nothing about it felt like filler. 

That was easily the best episode of the season. Which isn't really saying much. It was alright I guess.

A large part of this is because there was absolutely no Wessex in this episode and only a single Saxon, who got killed anyway, which was a godsend. And there was only minimal amounts of Torvi. And Katheryn Winnick has developed facial expressions again. And the episode got rid of some dead weight (although not enough).

The fighting was mostly fun. A bit on the stupid side, but way better than previous fighting this season. They actually held their shieldwalls for once. Although alot of stuff in the episode was far too convenient, like the secret passage. And Hvitserk actually had things to do this season, I never though that would happen, in fact he's probably the one Ragnarsson I actually enjoy on the show anymore. I also actually really appreciated Steven Berkoff hamming it up as King Olaf.

Peter Franzen is probably the MVP on this show when it comes to acting. Harald is such a weird and inconsistent character who swings wildly from one role to the next, but Franzen makes him really watchable and makes it work despite the weak writing. Alexander Ludwig is ok I guess, but Bjorn is so goddamn boring nowadays.

Ivar is awful though, and that final scene with him in his chinese-farmer hat, living to plot another day was horrendous. This Ivar-supervillian shit is so fucking bad. To think I actually though Ivar was interesting once. Hirst has totally managed to destroy that character.

An the whole Brother-vs-Brother/viking-infighting/civil-war bullshit just has to stop. It is so fucking played out, yet they show just keeps going with it. Fuck.

And how awkward must that reunion at the end be. Harald and his rapist. Torvi and the guy that killed her son. fun times.

No Wessex was great. I'm amazed Hirst didn't shoehorn Alfredstan into the battle.

Harald is honestly the only real interesting character left. He's the only character left that seems to be more than one dimensional. Even though his jealously over not the getting the girl has worn thin. Franzen does the most he can with the writing.

I thought Ivar morphed into Raiden at the end there.

So is it just me or does everything feel a tad repetitive? As much as Hirst talks about expanding the breadth of the Show each season, it feels like this might be the sixth or seventh time that Kattegat has been fought over. And mostly involving the same people.

And has someone plausibly explained yet what King Harald’s motivation was to attack Kattegat with Bjorn? He already had Kattegat under his control through his puppet Ivar, who he put on the Throne of Kattegat in the first place.

Doesn’t seem to make sense.

9 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

So is it just me or does everything feel a tad repetitive? As much as Hirst talks about expanding the breadth of the Show each season, it feels like this might be the sixth or seventh time that Kattegat has been fought over. And mostly involving the same people.

And has someone plausibly explained yet what King Harald’s motivation was to attack Kattegat with Bjorn? He already had Kattegat under his control through his puppet Ivar, who he put on the Throne of Kattegat in the first place.

Doesn’t seem to make sense.

I think this is the 5th battle for Kattegat since the season 4 halfway-point. So five times in 30 episodes.

3 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I think this is the 5th battle for Kattegat since the season 4 halfway-point. So five times in 30 episodes.

Well, not quite at the Battles of the Isonzo level, but it feels there are multiple battles for Kattegat each season.

So how jealous were the extras without face paint of those with? I couldn't help thinking about that during the battle.

1 hour ago, Astromech said:

Well, not quite at the Battles of the Isonzo level, but it feels there are multiple battles for Kattegat each season.

If Ivar picked up a couple of German divisions he could break this stalemate just like Ludendorff did it!

21 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

If Ivar picked up a couple of German divisions he could break this stalemate just like Ludendorff did it!

Unfortunately he was sleeping with Ephialtes who informed the opposing Ragnarsons of the "secret" escape door in the damn wall of Kattegat.  I always knew walls were worthless, especially when they have doors.

4 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Unfortunately he was sleeping with Ephialtes who informed the opposing Ragnarsons of the "secret" escape door in the damn wall of Kattegat.  I always knew walls were worthless, especially when they have doors.

That's why you need "see through" "smart" walls!

Archived