Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

Well, not quite at the Battles of the Isonzo level, but it feels there are multiple battles for Kattegat each season.

So how jealous were the extras without face paint of those with? I couldn't help thinking about that during the battle.

Well they also spend at least half of each season talking about attacking Kattegat, so it gets pretty old fast.

Oh, and I might just as well post this, looks like the same shit all over again.

Oh gosh, this show has really gone downhill. At least they killed Judith. But why couldn't they kill Ivar too? There's nothing interesting about him and the actor is terrible. In fact, most of the actors are terrible. Hvitserk is a little bit interesting. King Harald might have been interesting if there was more to him than just ambition. 

But the worst character/actor combo has to be Alfred. I mean, the kid might be a decent actor, but he's wrong for this role. And why the unnecessary mangling of history with Aethelred's arc? I understand they wanted to get to Alfred's reign but the whole conspiracy storyline was dumb and then Judith offing her own son is just unbelievable. 

I was trying to like this episode. I was hoping for the people to revolt against Ivar, would make sense, and open the gates for Bjorn and co. But no, instead we get the tired ass secret tunnel / gate / entrance. Then as if that wasn't bad enough the Wessex crew shows up in Kattegat, where they would have been killed BTW if Bjorn hadn't just won, just in time to hand Bjorn the Kings sword, cuz you know, they knew this all was happening there because???? 

I will say I saw the trap coming. I fully expected there to be inner walls / courtyard type area for them to get slaughtered in.

And yes, I will still be watching next season.

12 hours ago, dbunting said:

I was trying to like this episode. I was hoping for the people to revolt against Ivar, would make sense, and open the gates for Bjorn and co. But no, instead we get the tired ass secret tunnel / gate / entrance. Then as if that wasn't bad enough the Wessex crew shows up in Kattegat, where they would have been killed BTW if Bjorn hadn't just won, just in time to hand Bjorn the Kings sword, cuz you know, they knew this all was happening there because???? 

I will say I saw the trap coming. I fully expected there to be inner walls / courtyard type area for them to get slaughtered in.

And yes, I will still be watching next season.

Which makes Bjorn an even bigger moron since he could have viewed Kattegatt's defenses from the tops of the cliffs on both sides of the city.

56 minutes ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Is it true that Ray Stevenson has a role in S6? I pretty much completely lost what little interest I still had in this show in Season 4 and haven't watched anything since, but I'm willing to give most anything with Ray in it a shot.

Just watch Black Sails again.

2 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Is it true that Ray Stevenson has a role in S6? I pretty much completely lost what little interest I still had in this show in Season 4 and haven't watched anything since, but I'm willing to give most anything with Ray in it a shot.

Wasn't that what Georgia Hirst was teasing on one of her social media profiles? Twitter or some other crap like that?

ETA I don't follow her. Just a Reddit post or some article I saw online somewhere.

• 7 months later...

I don't know, the past few seasons, the trailers have been the best part of the show. But who am I kidding? I 'll still watch it and criticize the hell out of its many issues in the series thread.

• 1 month later...

You all are not going to believe this:

https://deadline.com/2019/11/vikings-valhalla-netflix-vikings-sequel-series-michael-hirst-jeb-stuart-mgm-tv-1202789898/

The Vikings saga will continue on Netflix. The streamer has picked up Vikings: Valhalla, a sequel to the hit series which is heading into its sixth and final season on History. I hear Netflix has ordered 24 episodes of the new series, from Vikings creator Michael Hirst and studio MGM Television, which continues the storytelling of the original....

Written and executive produced by feature writer Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Fugitive), Vikings: Valhalla begins 100 years after the original series concludes and dramatizes the adventures of the most famous Vikings who ever lived – Leif Erikson, Freydis, Harald Harada and the Norman King William the Conqueror (also a Viking descendant). These men and women will blaze new paths as they fight for survival in an ever changing and evolving Europe. This is the explosive next chapter of the Vikings legend....

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But, but, they have THE LAST KINGDOM!!!! And that should have plenty of material for at least another 4 seasons. 

Unless this Valhalla show is going to go full bonkers fantasy with gods and all, I don't see why they're doing this. I'm worried about TLK now.

Also there's a comedy series, but maybe not original Netflix production, called Norsemen.

Well, I'd like more than one series showing up every year or two dealing with the medieval era -- or action adventure character narrative set before the 19th century!  (Way too often, when we do get a series, it's just a romance in ahistorical costumes, such as Reign).)

I'd look forward to a William the Conquerer and Lief Ericksonn series -- except -- Hirst involvement.

There's been reports about a supposed series to be made around Charlemagne -- o would I love to work on that. But I haven't seen anything for a long time.  And of course it could so easily be screwed up by tv people.  It's not as though anything television could throw up there that also reflects fairly or even sort of fairly the history -- which is what is fascinating -- can be expected.  They'll throw in some sort of second sight hag, a fight between some of his wives (when, historically, he didn't marry anybody -- marriage wasn't a thing among the merovingian-franks for a very long time -- primogeniture didn't exist, and marriage hadn't yet become a sacrament.

Indeed marriage becoming so fundamental to the medieval Church had everything to do with the stability of a kingdom when the reigning monarch died -- an heir recognized by Church and state, i.e. the magnates -- instead of a military conflict that wrecked the kingdom's prosperity.

Aw, while I've gotten better at dropping shows I don't like anymore, there's no way I'm going to be able resist watching whatever shitshow that is going to be. And with Hirst at the helm it is going to be a shitshow. The actual historical figures involved are actually really interesting and would be good subjects for a show. Maybe he manages to repeat Vikings relative success and the first few seasons are good. I wonder who the Hirst daughters will play.

Also, isn't it a bit silly to call the show Vikings: Valhalla if it takes place during a period where Scandinavia has been mostly christianized? I mean, Harald Hardrada was literally related to a saint.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

... isn't it a bit silly to call the show Vikings: Valhalla if it takes place during a period where Scandinavia has been mostly christianized? I mean, Harald Hardrada was literally related to a saint.

I thought that as well.

14 hours ago, Corvinus said:

But, but, they have THE LAST KINGDOM!!!! And that should have plenty of material for at least another 4 seasons. 

Unless this Valhalla show is going to go full bonkers fantasy with gods and all, I don't see why they're doing this. I'm worried about TLK now.

Also there's a comedy series, but maybe not original Netflix production, called Norsemen.

That's my main concern - is it going to affect TLK

Cornwell just published here in the US #12 of the Saxon Chronicles.  Like, this week.  Hopefully this will be the last one as Uhtred is terribly old now, by the assessment of any era including our own.

• 3 weeks later...

So Vikings started again. It's basically the same shit that it's ben for the last couple of seasons. We have a new, shallow, cartoonish over-the.top villain in Oleg who's clearly trying to out-Ivar Ivar. Hvitserk is useless again. Ubbe is boring. Lagertha is awful. Bjorn is an indecisive punk and Torvi still sucks.

In a show that has done many stupid and historically inaccurate things, having the Rus invade Scandinavia is probably the stupidest and most historically inaccurate thing they've done. And I'm also a bit tired of how everything major happening during the Viking age seemingly originates from this one fucking twon in fucking Norway. There are other places in Scandinavia too!

Also, how many episodes before Lagertha digs up that sword, 1 or 2 tops I think.

Archived