Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

On 11/20/2019 at 7:46 PM, Zorral said:

Cornwell just published here in the US #12 of the Saxon Chronicles.  Like, this week.  Hopefully this will be the last one as Uhtred is terribly old now, by the assessment of any era including our own.

No, bad Zorral. Cornwell delivers a new Uthred novel almost every year. They aren't masterpieces, but superfun forgettable reads. I expect we have at least two or three more left. Hopefully on a yearly basis.

Any updates on TLK btw? (yeah, I know, completely highjacking the Vikings thread. Came here just to see the rage & despair of people who still haven't quit, but this is actually a good question to pose).

On 11/20/2019 at 6:46 PM, Zorral said:

Cornwell just published here in the US #12 of the Saxon Chronicles.  Like, this week.  Hopefully this will be the last one as Uhtred is terribly old now, by the assessment of any era including our own.

I think the plan is to end at #14 or #15, which will depict the Battle of Brunanburh in 937. Uhtred was born in 856, so he'd be 81, which is old but not outrageously so for the period (maybe moreso for someone who spent most of his life fighting, though).

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

So Vikings started again. It's basically the same shit that it's ben for the last couple of seasons. We have a new, shallow, cartoonish over-the.top villain in Oleg who's clearly trying to out-Ivar Ivar. Hvitserk is useless again. Ubbe is boring. Lagertha is awful. Bjorn is an indecisive punk and Torvi still sucks.

In a show that has done many stupid and historically inaccurate things, having the Rus invade Scandinavia is probably the stupidest and most historically inaccurate thing they've done. And I'm also a bit tired of how everything major happening during the Viking age seemingly originates from this one fucking twon in fucking Norway. There are other places in Scandinavia too!

Also, how many episodes before Lagertha digs up that sword, 1 or 2 tops I think.

I've stopped watching this a while ago, but are you telling me that the descendants of Scandinavians that settled in Eastern Europe decided to go back and invade a fake town of Cat's Gate?

Edit: you peaked my curiosity so I searched for youtube clips on this. Ivar was caught somewhere near Kiev travelling the Silk Road? WTF :lmao:

1 hour ago, Veltigar said:

Any updates on TLK btw? (yeah, I know, completely highjacking the Vikings thread. Came here just to see the rage & despair of people who still haven't quit, but this is actually a good question to pose).

Finished filming a month or two ago, won't be ready til next year.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I've stopped watching this a while ago, but are you telling me that the descendants of Scandinavians that settled in Eastern Europe decided to go back and invade a fake town of Cat's Gate?

Edit: you peaked my curiosity so I searched for youtube clips on this. Ivar was caught somewhere near Kiev travelling the Silk Road? WTF :lmao:

Even better, here Rurik and the Rus originate from - yes, you guessed it, Kattegatt.

The Garden of Eden even!  Ho! Ho! Ho!

Though Scandinavians did travel the Silk Road and so many other places, and were doing it really early!  (But I haven't seen any of this season and won't until long from now, so I know certainly how superbly The Show can transform even facts hilariously wrong.)

On 12/11/2019 at 5:41 PM, Martini Sigil said:

I'm just trying to figure out how the people responsible for this steaming pile aren;t embarrassed... do they really finish a script and think to themselves "yup, this is some damn fine TV"

I always imagine it being similar to Gus Van Sant's cameo in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

I'm a few weeks behind, having only watched the first episode. I loved the flashbacks to the early seasons when the show was good.

Lagertha's Chief Joseph line was humorous, but why waste time with that scene when we already knew she was giving up being a  shield maiden last season.

Ivar fled on the Silk Road after the battle and is now BFFs with Prince Oleg in Kiev? WTF! 

Kattegat is Kattegat. Bjorn is still trying his best Ragnar impression. Hvitserk is now a drunk?

But why no Floki? He's the only character I care about anymore since Lagertha is retiring from battle and hasn't been Lagertha for a few seasons.

Still complaining, yet still watching.

That was certainly an episode of Vikings. Lagertha preparing to fight again despite swearing off violence like and episode ago, Bjorn cheating on his wife, the new foreign enemy being both dull and absolutely ridiculous, Ubbe and Hvitserk being boring as fuck and Harald probably being the best thing about the episode despite only appearing in two scenes.

So once again I venture on to youtube to find clips of what's happening in this season. Mainly curious about the Rus stuff. And what do I find but a clip about Ivar and new BFF going in a fucking balloon, in winter, over not-Kiyv. :lmao:

32 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Kattegat and Kyiv: The place acting went to die. 

The History Channel: the place where history went to die.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So once again I venture on to youtube to find clips of what's happening in this season. Mainly curious about the Rus stuff. And what do I find but a clip about Ivar and new BFF going in a fucking balloon, in winter, over not-Kiyv. :lmao:

The History Channel: the place where history went to die.

Hold on... They went in a hot air balloon? Don't fuck with me right now. I'm emotionally vulnerable from watching The Expanse.

Archived