Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

19 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Now I have no idea how the balloon actually flew, likely Hirst's hot air.

Wow. Monumentally stupid and at the same time its such an awful scene from a visual/effects perspective it makes Bjorn vs the Bear look accomplished. Not to mention showcasing Kairparavel’s point about acting dying in Kyiv. That was utterly horrible

Isn't this a leeeeetle early for Byzantine influenced architecture to show up in Kyev or -- is this Moscow?  The Rus didn't start building like that until after visiting Constantinople and converting to the Orthodox Church in 988? The Varangian Guard gets started about then though.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Isn't this a leeeeetle early for Byzantine influenced architecture to show up in Kyev or -- is this Moscow?  The Rus didn't start building like that until after visiting Constantinople and converting to the Orthodox Church in 988? The Varangian Guard gets started about then though.

The Rus are already orthodox in this mess.

An episode behind. I love the fact that the men Bjorn exiled are now after Lagertha and her Hermitage   farmstead. The writing is as good as ever.  Nobody likes quitters, Lagertha. Go dig up your sword.

Can one of you homies let me know if they have the temerity to actually depict or discuss the Romans of the Bosphorus? I'm sure they'll call them 'Byzantines' or some nonsense, but they're so rarely depicted in any media that I'd have to watch.

13 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

First they were historically incorrect now they are scientifically incorrect. I wonder what is the next obstacle for this show to overcome.

You didn't know that Orthodox Christianity is all about worshiping the Buddah? Theologically incorrect is the next target.

And just one basic point, that other shows and movies, not just this one (but especially this one) get wrong - medieval people took winter seriously. They didn't fuck around in balloons, they didn't even travel much. Trade was reduced, wars were seldom fought in winter, even sea travel pretty much stopped in winter.

Credit where credit is due, I though the scene with Lagertha and her dying grandchild was pretty good.

Otherwise it was jut the same old stuff. Lots of kids dying in this episode. And I find it kinda funny that Olaf's main claim for wanting Bjorn to be king of all of Norway is that he had a famous dad. Famous parents won elections even in the 9th century.

• 3 weeks later...

And so dies Lagertha, not with a bang but a whimper, long after she stopped being a compelling character. Just  like the show she started out good, got better and then declined considerably.

The rest was just the usual nonsense. Harald is a bad guy again and is possibly a Trump-analogue, Erik the Red pop-up out of nowhere (literally), Ivar has to watch Oleg bang a look-a-like of his late wife, Hvitserk gets to actually do something and there's a Shieldmaiden making bird noises.

Oh, and I can almost not believe that they actually decided t feature a fucking horned helmet in this show.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, GallowKnight said:

And so dies Lagertha, not with a bang but a whimper, long after she stopped being a compelling character. Just  like the show she started out good, got better and then declined considerably.

The rest was just the usual nonsense. Harald is a bad guy again and is possibly a Trump-analogue, Erik the Red pop-up out of nowhere (literally), Ivar has to watch Oleg bang a look-a-like of his late wife, Hvitserk gets to actually do something and there's a Shieldmaiden making bird noises.

Oh, and I can almost not believe that they actually decided t feature a fucking horned helmet in this show.

Curious minds, how does she die? And more curious minds, is...she still alive? Y’know, the wrong Hirst?

34 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Curious minds, how does she die? And more curious minds, is...she still alive? Y’know, the wrong Hirst?

Well, first off she has a big battle with a bunch of outlaws made up out of former Ivar-supporters, she has a duel with the main outlaw, who wears a horned helmet, and is grievously injured. After that she decides she needs to go to Kattegat to see Bjorn (who's not actually there) and she gets there in the middle of the night while it is raining heavily. Then she is stabbed to death by a crazy hallucinating Hvitserk who mistakes her for a Ivar-Snake monster.

Of course Torvi is still alive.

2 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Well, first off she has a big battle with a bunch of outlaws made up out of former Ivar-supporters, she has a duel with the main outlaw, who wears a horned helmet, and is grievously injured. After that she decides she needs to go to Kattegat to see Bjorn (who's not actually there) and she gets there in the middle of the night while it is raining heavily. Then she is stabbed to death by a crazy hallucinating Hvitserk who mistakes her for a Ivar-Snake monster.

Of course Torvi is still alive.

This is even funnier because i can just see the melodramatic ISNT THIS SO EMOTIONAL?! style Hirst will have gone with for this. Guess someone had to kill Lagertha though, she sure as hell wasn’t going to die of old age, even with that Targaryen wig

On 1/11/2020 at 1:59 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

This is even funnier because i can just see the melodramatic ISNT THIS SO EMOTIONAL?! style Hirst will have gone with for this. Guess someone had to kill Lagertha though, she sure as hell wasn’t going to die of old age, even with that Targaryen wig

Well here it is in all it's glory.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

Well here it is in all it's glory.

How can she join Ragnar in the Hall of the Gods? she died without a weapon in her hand.  For that matter, so did Ragnar.  O, nevermind!

Did anyone else start thinking we were in the world of The Lair of the White Worm, there, for a while?

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

How can she join Ragnar in the Hall of the Gods? she died without a weapon in her hand.  For that matter, so did Ragnar.  O, nevermind!

Did anyone else start thinking we were in the world of The Lair of the White Worm, there, for a while?

I don't think sword-in-hand was ever a requirement for Valhalla in Vikings, combat-related death is enough. In fact, I can't think of that many other viking related stories other than The Saxon Tales/The Last Kingdom where sword-in-hand is required for Valhalla.

Archived