Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

After having no internet for over three weeks I finally got the chance to watch the mid season finale of Vikings season 6.

It was not worth the wait. That was some absolutely nonsensical, epically stupid and completely historical bullshit.

Fuck this show.

22 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

After having no internet for over three weeks I finally got the chance to watch the mid season finale of Vikings season 6.

It was not worth the wait. That was some absolutely nonsensical, epically stupid and completely historical bullshit.

Fuck this show.

Historically I can agree. 

But it was a great episode. It is the kind of episode I wanted to see in GOT when a big battle happens... 

• 9 months later...
On 12/2/2020 at 10:28 PM, Veltigar said:

I forgot this show was still a thing XD

That was my thoughts when i saw the thread bumped. Can’t resist reading the thread and watching trailers for the hilarity though.

On 12/2/2020 at 10:59 PM, Corvinus85 said:

Did this show become an Amazon show now?

I dont know if they always had first rights or not but certainly for me in the UK i was watching with Prime. I binged S1-3 as i was late to the party and then I think season 4a was weekly? 

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished watching the first episode of the final season.

The massive Russian army is defeated with what feels like a Deus Ex Machina in the first fucking episode. Michel Hirst has truly outdone himself when it comes to incompetent writing. Hats off.

Edit: And then in episode 2 we're back to courtly intrigue overload.

Edit pt.II: Is that Brent Burns?

Edit pt.III: Aw, they killed Brent Burns.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

The massive Russian army is defeated with what feels like a Deus Ex Machina in the first fucking episode. Michel Hirst has truly outdone himself when it comes to incompetent writing. Hats off.

You sir, are clearly a masochist :lmao:

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I only watched that battle to see what you were talking about. Felt like a Renly's Ghost event to me. Also made me think of the legend about El Cid after his death. I suppose such a thing would be possible, there was a demoralizing effect, but then again I don't know why Bjorn was on his deathbed. But my question is, what the fuck are the Rus doing in Norway? Did the Rus have any cavalry outside the leaders? Nice Total War formations.

Speaking of El Cid, I see Amazon has that Spanish show about him on, too. Anyone give it a try yet?

1 minute ago, Corvinus85 said:

I only watched that battle to see what you were talking about. Felt like a Renly's Ghost event to me. Also made me think of the legend about El Cid after his death. I suppose such a thing would be possible, there was a demoralizing effect, but then again I don't know why Bjorn was on his deathbed. But my question is, what the fuck are the Rus doing in Norway? Did the Rus have any cavalry outside the leaders? Nice Total War formations.

Speaking of El Cid, I see Amazon has that Spanish show about him on, too. Anyone give it a try yet?

@Zorral is so far the only one who has tried it I think

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The Rus were invading to reclaim their ancestral home, which is apparently Kattegat in Norway despite that making little sense at all. Bjorn was injured in their first big battle with the Rus at the end of the previous season. They lost that battle because the leaders of Norway would not come to their aid when Harald asked despite Bjorn being with him, but apparently they will come now that Bjorn asks and the odds would be naturally worse. Plus I'm not sure that Bjorn himself has ever showed any reason would anyone would want him as a king and I don't understand why anyone would want him to be.

Oh yeah, and magic is real this season.

6 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

I have no idea what they were thinking when they wrote this season.

Everybody hated the iceland arc so they decided to do another useless iceland v2.0 plot with america this time.

I would like to know how many times king harold has been defeated, imprisioned, left for dead and the dude always comes back. I just can t stand the character anymore!

Then I might be wrong but didn t the traillers promote a bjorn vs the russians and ivar? Some redemption for the viking for chosing a king they didn t really want? If they were going to do what they did this season why don t fucking do more 1 ep last season?

Honestly without bjorn they were left without any leader I cared about... 

In regards to the show returning to england. I understand the idea. I would even say it makes sense. But why did they make this russian confict instead of making this last fight with england bigger?

Ah! And how weird is the relation between ivar and the brother that wsa with him? The dude hated ivar! He went insane because of how ivar treated him! and now he was crying over his death and converting? why?

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

The Rus were invading to reclaim their ancestral home, which is apparently Kattegat in Norway despite that making little sense at all. Bjorn was injured in their first big battle with the Rus at the end of the previous season. They lost that battle because the leaders of Norway would not come to their aid when Harald asked despite Bjorn being with him, but apparently they will come now that Bjorn asks and the odds would be naturally worse. Plus I'm not sure that Bjorn himself has ever showed any reason would anyone would want him as a king and I don't understand why anyone would want him to be.

Oh yeah, and magic is real this season.

Wow. Forgot to mention that since Bjorn let the sword slip as he died, that means he didn't go to Valhalla. Oh wait, that's the good story about vikings. ;)

20 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Wow. Forgot to mention that since Bjorn let the sword slip as he died, that means he didn't go to Valhalla. Oh wait, that's the good story about vikings. ;)

I think the objective was to show that he died and the sword fell because of that.

So, the final season is bad. But not overwhelmingly so compared to the previous few seasons, just a more of the same kind of bad. First off the have fucked with the intro and the intro song and it is awful, absolutely awful.

The Rus story,  the threat that they spent the entire previous season building up, is anticlimactically dealt with in the first episode. Then the story drags on for another agonizing five episode before it is finally aborted. It all feels really weird, like they realized what a miss-step this entire plot-line was and was just scrambling to find a way to the whole thing over with as soon as possible.

I will say that for a moment, when they was done with the Rus and had the whole issue of Kattegat's succession worked out, I actually thought that the show might get kinda decent again. I thought they were finally done with all the needles plotting and scheming and was finally going to focus the who on what made it good in the first place. But then they jumped right back into the scheming with both feet and it was beyond awful.

The Kattegat story-arc this season, especially the last half of the season is probably the single worst storyline in the entire series. It is a miserably uninteresting and boring plotline filled to the brim with scheming, bad plotting (from both writers and characters) and political machinations. And it is centred around two new characters that I cant possibly imagine anyone actually gives a single fuck about. It's is beyond awful, truly a new low-watermark for the show.

The battles are awful this time around. I don't know if they blew all the budget on other stuff or the earlier seasons but the battle feel really low scale. They don't feel as though through as the smaller battles of earlier seasons and lacked the spectacle of latter season battle.

There are some weird character character choices. Hvitserk does nothing but follow others around as per usual and then ends up getting the historical role of Guthrum, becoming baptized and made king in East Anglia as Athelstan. Oh, and he also has sex with a Norse Goddess before that. Gunnhild  (a.k.a Bjorn wife #1) seems like she is being built up as the new central female character of the show, a new "Lagertha" and leader of Kattegat. But then after Harald reappears she just decides to commit suicide by drowning in order to join Bjorn in Valhalla, although I'm pretty sure that's not how that is supposed to work. Ivar's death is really anticlimactic and Alfred stopping the battle just because Ivar dying is so silly.

I actually kinda liked the Ubba story line once they actually got to America, unfortunately that happened in the third to last episode so there just was not enough room for that story to actually go anywhere. If only the had skipped the entire Greenland bit and the several episodes spent suffering on boats, this part could have been real good. It helps that Ray Stevenson gives some assistance here. Plus it was nice to seen Floki again, ending on him en Ubba sitting on beach it North America was actually pretty good.

The best scene in the whole season was probably Harald death. The set-up for it is really stupid, with Harald getting lost in the mist after a battle and then getting stabbed by a randomly appearing Saxon mook (that's why you should have battlelines). But the actual death, with Halfdan appearing to take him to Valhalla was really nice. Peter Franzen was easily the best actor on the show in these later seasons and always gave a performance that was way better than the material deserved, so I liked that he got to go out on a strong note.

I also realized that after the first episode, when Bjorn and Alexander Ludwig makes their exit, Georgia Hirst it the regularly occurring actor on the show that has been around the longest, if you don't count the guy who plays the Seer, who still makes occasional appearances despite the character having been dead for over twenty episodes.

I just kept wondering how they got all those dead bodies from the battle back to the Kremlin, though they say they're in Kiev, from Norway, with them rotting or all gotten stolen by wolves.  Ya, cold, OK.  But you know, wolves.  Not deterred by sleet nor snow, hail or rain, and certainly not death.

That America line, o why o why o why.  And the little girl drowns and her mother and father deal with it in a four-word exchange and the mother doesn't hold any resentment, no not a bit whatsoever.

The only thing that I like is Ivar's continued sense of wonder at Oleg, finally somebody more crazy, more dysfunctional, more cruel and bloody and unpredictable than himself.  I watch for that and that alone.  And because it's pandemic, and we've been lurching from storm to storm to storm.  And now the weather's rather better my entire neighborhood today is dangerous to go out in because it's packed in the way Times Square wasn't allowed to be NY Eve, and nobody is wearing masks, not really.  They are on their necks and chins, and they're all standing close together to get seated in one the streateries.

Just found out this show is still ongoing. Or it has ended? I’m not sure since apparently season 6 was still ongoing or something.

I stopped watching at season 5. Too many historical inaccuracies and the story just got boring.

They fucked Harald fairhairs potential as a character. They couldve actually made him a lead character (since the show is called vikings it dosent all have to evolve around Ragnar and his sons). They couldve shown his struggle and battles he had to go through in order to unite Norway under him.

But instead they made him this scheming plotter that always gets the stick up his arse.

Archived