Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

• 3 months later...

Some of those scenes looked like ones we saw in the Paris siege episodes of Vikings.

Is this the Battle of Stamford Bridge?  The invasion of King Harald Hardrada, in the 11th century, where King Harold Godwinson defeated him, before having to exhaust-march back south to face the Bastard?  Or does this happen during one of the invasions after Hastings?  (I just re-read another history covering these 11th C invasions, which is why I can so glibly throw out these events -- however, will I still remember them in such detail a few days from now?  :D )

So I went looking for answers to my own questions.  Not sure I found answers, exactly, but there's this:

https://collider.com/vikings-valhalla-creator-jeb-stuart-interview-action-storyline-season-2/

The real question that is answered in this interview is, "Die Hard is a Christmas movie," says the director. :D

Hmm.  The more bits and bobs I find about Netflix Valhalla, the more they talk about their awesome research into the history, the more they reveal Valhalla just as much as Vikings plays silly buggers with history's chronology.

58 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Some of those scenes looked like ones we saw in the Paris siege episodes of Vikings.

Is this the Battle of Stamford Bridge?  The invasion of King Harald Hardrada, in the 11th century, where King Harold Godwinson defeated him, before having to exhaust-march back south to face the Bastard?  Or does this happen during one of the invasions after Hastings?  (I just re-read another history covering these 11th C invasions, which is why I can so glibly throw out these events -- however, will I still remember them in such detail a few days from now?  :D )

So I went looking for answers to my own questions.  Not sure I found answers, exactly, but there's this:

https://collider.com/vikings-valhalla-creator-jeb-stuart-interview-action-storyline-season-2/

The real question that is answered in this interview is, "Die Hard is a Christmas movie," says the director. :D

Hmm.  The more bits and bobs I find about Netflix Valhalla, the more they talk about their awesome research into the history, the more they reveal Valhalla just as much as Vikings plays silly buggers with history's chronology.

This is whatever Hirst feels it is. He's combining the story of the Norse who explored North America with Harald Hardrada and apparently William. I didn't see any indication of William, unless the young beardless dude is William and he is defending Paris?

But no, Stamford Bridge is a tiny bridge that was defended by one guy.

If they actually cared about history, they would have done Harald's younger days when he was a Varangian for the Eastern Roman Empire and did other mercenary work.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

From the interview and the footage I'd guess that is a part of Sweyn Forkbeard invading England.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched the first episode. Very meh, ahistorical as hell. They once again brought forth historical figures earlier than their time. The whole Danelaw thing was the most egregious. Not only did they decide to play loose with facts, they Dornified it.

The acting is not that special either and the costumes are as uninspired as ever. The beginning of the 11th century and these people have apparently made no progress. 

:agree:  But you know, all the sets etc. from Vikings the Origin can be recycled, which is a good deal for both the Hirst Co. and for Netflix and Jeb Stuart.  And maybe too, from The Last Kingdom, since TLK's last season has finished (will be on Netflix at the end of March, I think?).

Archived