Vikings XII: It's not History, It's Hirstory [SPOILERS]

GallowKnight

I saw the trailer for this because i’ve been watching some other stuff on Amazon and usually i have a good laugh at the absurdity of the trailers and what they say about the plot, having given up after Ragnar was killed, but even the trailer looked to ridiculous to even be funny this year.

Also, was that a sea monster? Is the show fully fantasy these days? My favourite parts of the early seasons were the religious elements and the other rituals which were really well shot and acted and didn’t explicitly make it so that “yes magic/gods are real.” It was always a case of deciding whether we as the audience wanted to follow the belief of the characters. Its been a while now but i remember things like Number 17 - the Spread Blood Eagle being especially good

2 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

Just found out this show is still ongoing. Or it has ended? I’m not sure since apparently season 6 was still ongoing or something.

I stopped watching at season 5. Too many historical inaccuracies and the story just got boring.

They fucked Harald fairhairs potential as a character. They couldve actually made him a lead character (since the show is called vikings it dosent all have to evolve around Ragnar and his sons). They couldve shown his struggle and battles he had to go through in order to unite Norway under him.

But instead they made him this scheming plotter that always gets the stick up his arse.

I think it's ending. I also heard there is a sequel coming. I quit in the middle of season 4. I may go back though later as i'm a masochist.

Hard to believe they fucked with the opening song. I loved getting drunk to that.

Pardon me if this was already posted here. I'm not reading a lot of this thread as I don't want to be spoilered. Kind of ridiculous I admit considering it's late season Vikings, but none the less. I still don't know the fate of Floki for example and would rather learn that on screen.

‘Vikings’ Creator Michael Hirst on Upcoming Netflix Sequel Series ‘Vikings: Valhalla’ and What It’s About

Plus, he reveals the characters, where they are in the filming process, and more.

https://collider.com/vikings-sequel-valhalla-characters-plot-netflix-michael-hirst-interview/

With the TV series Vikings about to air its sixth and final season starting December 30th on Amazon Prime Video, I recently spoke to creator and writer of every episode Michael Hirst about making the hugely successful show. During the wide-ranging conversation he shared a number of great behind-the-scenes stories and talked about why he thinks the final season is the best one yet and his reasons for ending the show even while it’s still so popular. In the coming days I’ll post the entire conversation, but for now, I wanted to share what he said about the upcoming Vikings sequel series, Vikings: Valhalla, which he is executive producing.

If you haven’t heard about Vikings: Valhalla, the series was created by Jeb Stuart, will be airing on Netflix sometime in 2021, and is set a hundred years after the end of Vikings. According to Hirst, the popularity of Vikings around the world is what drove Netflix to make a new series. He said:

“Apparently, they just said, 'Look, we're not even going to filter out content, we just looked at your audience figures, where you are across the world, and we'd be stupid not to do it.' So it is a tribute to what was achieved over the last seven years.”

27 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

I think it's ending. I also heard there is a sequel coming. I quit in the middle of season 4. I may go back though later as i'm a masochist.

Hard to believe they fucked with the opening song. I loved getting drunk to that.

Pardon me if this was already posted here. I'm not reading a lot of this thread as I don't want to be spoilered. Kind of ridiculous I admit considering it's late season Vikings, but none the less. I still don't know the fate of Floki for example and would rather learn that on screen.

‘Vikings’ Creator Michael Hirst on Upcoming Netflix Sequel Series ‘Vikings: Valhalla’ and What It’s About

Plus, he reveals the characters, where they are in the filming process, and more.

https://collider.com/vikings-sequel-valhalla-characters-plot-netflix-michael-hirst-interview/

Wait, this new series is going to turn Ragnar and co into legends, will not be written by Hirst but by the guy who wrote the original Die Hard and The Fugitive and... gasp it has Eric the Red and HAROLD FUCKING HARDRADA :shocked: :love:

From the above interview

It couldn't be on a greater scale than the final episodes of my Vikings. Because the armies and the big battles we had... You really can't get much bigger than that, actually. But what can I say? It is being made in the same places, a lot of it. We go back to Kattegat. That, of course, is the spiritual home of the Vikings. But it's a changed Kattegat. It's an established... It's one of the biggest ports really, trading ports in Europe. It's grown in size and significance.The King of England has become a Viking. The Vikings have overrun most of England and they own Normandy. In that sense, considering where we came from in my show, they've established themselves on the world stage big time.

To what king of England is he referring? 

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

That article says the new series will be based 100 years after vikings.

But what confuses me, is that they said it will involve harald hadrada and Erik the red.

These guys were based in complete different timelines. With Erik being some 100 years from vikings and harald 200 years.

Im guessing they are gonna shit on history one more time, and just somehow have these 2 character live during the same timeline.

Not to forget that by the 11th century Norway and Denmark were heavily Christianised with some stubborn people still keeping to their old gods.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

From the above interview

To what king of England is he referring? 

Knut the great probably. Exaggerating tbh, only land the vikings heavily occupied was east anglia and Yorkshire. And they all became Christians and were slowly turning into Anglo-Saxons.

13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I saw the trailer for this because i’ve been watching some other stuff on Amazon and usually i have a good laugh at the absurdity of the trailers and what they say about the plot, having given up after Ragnar was killed, but even the trailer looked to ridiculous to even be funny this year.

Also, was that a sea monster? Is the show fully fantasy these days? My favourite parts of the early seasons were the religious elements and the other rituals which were really well shot and acted and didn’t explicitly make it so that “yes magic/gods are real.” It was always a case of deciding whether we as the audience wanted to follow the belief of the characters. Its been a while now but i remember things like Number 17 - the Spread Blood Eagle being especially good

The Midgard serpent does make an appearance, but the only person to see it is a child that just been told a story about it, so it' left a little ambiguous. On the other hand, magic is explicitly real this season.

And I guess the question whether the god were real or not went out the window back in season 4 when Odin himself paid a personal visit to the sons of Ragnar to break. the news of his death 

4 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

The Midgard serpent does make an appearance, but the only person to see it is a child that just been told a story about it, so it' left a little ambiguous. On the other hand, magic is explicitly real this season.

And I guess the question whether the god were real or not went out the window back in season 4 when Odin himself paid a personal visit to the sons of Ragnar to break. the news of his death 

I see, the first part sounds reasonable and consistent with earlier seasons approach (i.e. from the characters POV the see/imagine that). 

On the gods, I didnt get to that part.i do recall the awful "Odin"/wanderer visits Kattegat story though. I think that was season 3, the someone call Child Protective Services arc

I watched the first two episodes of the 2nd half of the last season??? last night. Found myself in a familiar situation. Vikings on the tv and me looking at stuff on my phone half of the time, so not much has changed.

Concluded the slog through the final half of the final season.  In some ways this one was better than so many that came before. It did its best to pull together the themes the series somewhere along the line seemed to think it was exploring about religion, spirituality and the constant quest for the new and somewhere else, and how we bring all we have along with us no matter what.  Perhaps I'm giving the series too much credit?

However the New World sections shot in Canada were breathtakingly beautiful.  Achingly beautiful. Making us think because we cannot avoid it what the species has done to a world so splendid, so bountiful, so -- functional without us. 

The old gods and the old ways, becoming smaller and smaller even as the world available becomes larger and larger. Can't even have a worthy blood eagle in the New World, that's how small we've become since the last of the great ones like Ragnar and Lagertha have departed.

Of course time and space collapsed still has they did as soon ye olde vikings hit France, but never.ind that Hilga's pregnancy is even longer than -- was it Tove's?  How in world did Ubba's people have gifts to give when they ran off without anything even water from Iceland? How in the world did nobody lose weight and teeth on that voyage without food and water?  How did their clothes not fall apart?  And blahblahblah. And so much more.

Still, I rather liked this one.  But I've been stuck at home due to pandemic forever so judgement poor.  And it's very cold.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I enjoyed the last few episodes way more than I thought I would.

Spoiler

Kattegat returned to suck of course and I fast forwarded most of it.  I didn't mind the return to England and their actual Viking roots of plunder. I also liked the way Ivar died, his whole tough guy act faded when he was crying.  Greenland was predictable and boring. The stupid retreat and jump onto a ship with no supplies just had me angry. They weren't being chased off, they simply lost a fight. No reason to do that other than to show us their misery over the next couple episodes. That boat trip also got some fast fwd treatment. I liked the Canada landing and everything about it except Floki. That was obvious once you heard the chief say Other...  I also knew blood eagle was coming as soon as the redshirt viking grabbed the gold nugget and gave the gold fever eyes. I was surprised and happy that he cried out and Ubbe said Valhalla isn't for you and cut his throat. That made sense and ended the series pretty well.

I'm glad I suffered through the first few episodes of this because the last few were worth it, for me anyway.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, SpaceChampion said:

Random, un-illuminating behind the scenes clips of the Vikings sequel series on Netflix, Vikings: Valhalla

lol, did one of those guys do a round-house kick?

So this is set 100 years after Vikings, but they all still look just the same. 

• 3 months later...

Archived