Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

I'm not sure if this is the right place but:

''As the salmon was being served, Ser Axell Florent had entertained the table with the tale of a Targaryen princeling who kept an ape as a pet. This prince liked to dress the creature in his dead son's clothes and pretend he was a child, Ser Axell claimed, and from time to time he would propose marriages for him.''

- Davos II, ADWD

Who do you guys think this may have been, if it's a true story?

1 hour ago, Lady Anna said:

I'm not sure if this is the right place but:

''As the salmon was being served, Ser Axell Florent had entertained the table with the tale of a Targaryen princeling who kept an ape as a pet. This prince liked to dress the creature in his dead son's clothes and pretend he was a child, Ser Axell claimed, and from time to time he would propose marriages for him.''

- Davos II, ADWD

Who do you guys think this may have been, if it's a true story?

Not entirely a true story. In Fire and Blood, we learn the following:

[Visenya] was  not  without  humor,  however,  and  for many  years  kept  her  own  fool,  a  hirsute  hunchback  called  Lord  Monkeyface  whose  antics  amused  her  greatly. When he choked to death on a peach pit, the queen acquired an ape and dressed it in Lord Monkeyface's clothing. "The  new  one is  cleverer,"  she  was  wont  to  say. 

It seems this is what Axell was referring to, twisting the truth in such a way as to insult Davos (which was his goal with the statement). No other Targaryens fit the description.

5 hours ago, Peach King said:

I have a question, does anyone have any idea where I can find the first drafts of the story/what changes GRRM made from the first drafts of the story? 

Here for instance: http://watchersonthewall.com/george-r-r-martins-original-plan-game-thrones/

On 2/4/2019 at 1:10 PM, Peach King said:

I have a question, does anyone have any idea where I can find the first drafts of the story/what changes GRRM made from the first drafts of the story? 

List of drafts: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/9q3bfe 

Comparisons: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/57zaas/ https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/934961

Map changes: the first few posts in https://atlasoficeandfireblog.wordpress.com

Family tree changes:

• Viserys II changed from Aegon III's son to brother.
  • Alysanne was changed from Maegor's daughter to Aenys'.
  • Rhaenyra's husbands were a Lannister and later Lyonel Strong in the original plans.
  • Alysanne's children's birth order rearranged, with Dany added.
  • Cregan Stark's 2nd wife changed from Cynthia Cobray to Black Alys, and he had a brother called Bennard in the draft.
  • Sansa Stark(Rickon's daughter) didn't marry Jonnel one-eye.
  • Beron Stark had a son named Brandon.
  • Damon Lannister (son of Jason) was planned to die at birth with his mother. (So Stafford was Jason's heir in the original plan.) Later grrm decided to make him live and became father of Damion.
Edited by zionius

5 hours ago, The Map Guy said:

Do we know if GRRM speaks any other languages?

Also, the Dothraki dictionary, that is not book-canon right? All those made up Dothraki words were for HBO's show?

He learnt some French at highschool. I don't recall if he ever mentioned learning other languages.

The Dothraki dictionary is show-canon, but GRRM will turn to David J. Peterson whenever he need a new Dothraki word. He asked Peterson a few words for TWOW. Later a reader asked Peterson what are them, and he refused to reveal.

Edited by zionius

1 hour ago, zionius said:

He learnt some French at highschool. I don't recall if he ever mentioned learning other languages.

The Dothraki dictionary is show-canon, but GRRM will turn to David J. Peterson whenever he need a new Dothraki word. He asked Peterson a few words for TWOW. Later a reader asked Peterson what are them, and he refused to reveal.

Thanks. I'm just having a wild suspicion that some of the original 1990s Dothraki words GRRM wrote are wordplay/anagrams of Japanese words ... but I haven't figured all of them out yet. Probably would of helped if I knew some Japanese.

Edited by The Map Guy

27 minutes ago, Aurane said:

Are there any areas outside of Westeros ruled by a king, besides Astapor?

Ibben was once ruled by a god-king, but is now ruled by a council of nobles and merchants. Each city in the Kingdom of Sarnor was ruled by a king, all ruled in turn by a high king. It's unknown if Saath, the surviving Sarnoi city, is still ruled by a king.

By the beginning of ASOIAF, the Kingdom of Omber is still ruled by kings.

On 2/9/2019 at 5:23 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Why Starks had not tried to take New Gift back under their control? 

The New Gift belongs to the Night's Watch by the writ of the Iron Throne, to attempt to reclaim it would be breaking the King's Peace. Once the Starks forswear their allegiance to the Iron Throne Robb has more important things to worry about than giving the Wulls, Liddles, and Norreys some land back. 

15 minutes ago, MagicPen said:

Do great houses have their own standing army, or do they  solely rely on their banermen to provide the men?

Castles have household guards and urban settlements have their city/town watch, but standing armies don't exist in Westeros. The Free Cities often hire free companies of sellswords.

SSM:

I am also a bit curious as to the social structure of westeros. I understand the seven high lords, and the slightly lower lords (ie. Boltons, Karstarks, Freys etc.). However, do these lords also have sub lords below them? Lords who maybe raise 10 or 20 men for the Karstarks?

Yes, it is a feudal system. The lords have vassals, the vassals have vassals, and sometimes the vassals of the vassals have vassals, down to the guy who can raise five friends.

The Starks, for instance, can call upon holdfasts in the vicinity of Winterfell. If they need more men, they ask their vassal lords to raise their own levies.

The rest had left eight days past, six hundred men from Winterfell and the nearest holdfasts. Cley Cerwyn was bringing three hundred more to join them on the march, and Maester Luwin had sent ravens before them, summoning levies from White Harbor and the barrowlands and even the deep places inside the wolfswood. (ACOK Bran VI)

7 hours ago, Crona said:

“The Red Keep has ways known only to ghosts and spiders” - Varys

for the ghosts part, was Varys referring to all the people who died there or was he referring to specific person?

I always assumed Varys refers with "ghosts" to the builders who made the castle and its secret passages, and were killed once the work was done.

In 45 AC, construction finally came to an end on the Red Keep. King Maegor celebrated its completion by feasting the builders and workmen who had labored on the castle, sending them wagonloads of strong wine and sweetmeats, and whores from the city’s finest brothels. The revels lasted for three days. Afterward, the king’s knights moved in and put all the workmen to the sword, to prevent them from even revealing the Red Keep’s secrets. Their bones were interred beneath the castle that they had built

On 2/12/2019 at 1:30 AM, Aurane said:

Are there any areas outside of Westeros ruled by a king, besides Astapor?

While these aren't kings, per se, there are some other true hereditary monarchies, such as:

The many principalities of the Summer Islands. Like Dorne, they seem to use the title "Prince(ss)" for all rulers, even for Xanda and Chatana Qo who briefly unified all of the isles. 

The Emperors of Yi Ti.

And also the occasional Kings of the Stepstones, who are pirate kings. ;)