Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

23 hours ago, 2uenten said:

Do you pronounce Yronwood as "Ironwood" or "Ronwood," (like a silent y)?

GRRM loves his ‘y’ sounds, but I don’t think of them differently than  ‘i’s a lot of the time.

I think Swyft should be pronounced ‘swift’, and Redwyne ‘red wine’, so Yronwood is probably ‘ironwood.’ 

Ynys Yronwood is so much less confusing as a name when it’s Inis Ironwood, not Eenees Eeronwood. 

But with all things ASOIAF, there is no real definitive pronunciation of many names as per GRRM.

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

GRRM loves his ‘y’ sounds, but I don’t think of them differently than  ‘i’s a lot of the time.

I think Swyft should be pronounced ‘swift’, and Redwyne ‘red wine’, so Yronwood is probably ‘ironwood.’ 

That's my approach as well, especially since ironwoods are in the story.

"Fallen," Will insisted. "There's one woman up an ironwood, half-hid in the branches. A far-eyes." He smiled thinly. "I took care she never saw me. When I got closer, I saw that she wasn't moving neither." Despite himself, he shivered. (AGOT Prologue)

It was midafternoon, yet the forest seemed as dark as dusk. Jon wove a path between rocks and puddles, past great oaks, grey-green sentinels, and black-barked ironwoods. (ACOK Jon III)

The sound of the waves washing against a rocky shore was in her blood, but there were no waves at Deepwood Motte … only the trees, the endless trees, soldier pines and sentinels, beech and ash and ancient oaks, chestnut trees and ironwoods and firs. (ADWD The Wayward Bride)

1 hour ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Are Corbrays still lords of the Fingers?

Little Finger’s ancestor was a mercenary employed by Corbrays, his lands are on fingers, he is rather friendly with their lord.

I don't think so. They might be the most prestigious of the Fingers' various lords, but George hasn't given the modern Corbrays grand titles in the appendices. He has only used "Lord of the Five Fingers" for the historical Corwyn Corbray. 

9 hours ago, Nittanian said:

I don't think so. They might be the most prestigious of the Fingers' various lords, but George hasn't given the modern Corbrays grand titles in the appendices. He has only used "Lord of the Five Fingers" for the historical Corwyn Corbray. 

Oh, I think it is meant to be implied that Lyonel Corbray is Littlefinger's direct liege lord insofar as his lordship on the Finger is concerned. The Corbrays are pretty grand lords in the Vale, it is not likely that petty lords like Littlefinger - and whoever else has domains on the various Fingers - is directly sworn to the Eyrie.

After all, the Coldwaters are supposedly sworn to the Royces, and their are actually one of the lords of the Fingers, farther away from Runestone than Littlefinger's keep would be from Heart's Home. But at this point there is no confirmation for that. One also assumes, I'd think, that Baelishs got their petty lordship as reward for the service they showed Jaehaerys II during the War of the Ninepenny Kings. Considering they had previously fought as retainers for the Corbrays one imagines Littlefinger's father accompanied Lord Corbray to the Stepstones.

My interpretation is that the Corbrays were more powerful in the past (Qorwyn called himself Lord of the Five Fingers after the downfall of the Shells and Brightstones, Qyle Corbray called himself King of the Fingers before falling to Robar Royce) than they are now (the Corbrays are introduced in AGOT as "an ancient but impoverished house)". Heart's Home is farther away from the peninsulas than Coldwater Burn (which is sworn to Runestone) or Snakewood (which is sworn to the Eyrie). I agree the Corbrays are powerful lords in the Fingers region, with lesser lords owing them allegiance, but the modern Corbrays have not been described as "Lords of the Five Fingers" (implying rule over all of them).

6 minutes ago, CAllDSmith said:

Why does House Seaworth (Particularly Davos) not despise the Lannisters? They're from King's Landing and were presumably were in the city during the Sack right? Also were any of Davos's eldest sons with him at Storm's End?

They might, but we don't know because we haven't heard their opinion of the Lannisters.

Just because Davos was born in Flea Bottom doesn't mean he or his family still lived in King's Landing at the time of the Sack.

We don't know if any of Davos's sons were with him delivering onions.

13 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

How soon Red Wedding happened after sucking and burning of Winterfell? After all if Robb had known that Boltons had desecrated his home he should been more suspicious.

The official version is that Theon and the IB sacked and burned Winterfell. 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

The official version is that Theon and the IB sacked and burned Winterfell. 

But there were people among task force Cassel who survived that battle and Boltons did not really hide the fact that they did it, so I assume that there should have been at least rumors what has happened. After all late castellan of WF had with him men from many houses.

45 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

But there were people among task force Cassel who survived that battle and Boltons did not really hide the fact that they did it, so I assume that there should have been at least rumors what has happened. After all late castellan of WF had with him men from many houses.

The bolton’s hunted down the survivors and shepherded the women and children to the dreadfort. There were undoubtedly one or two escapees i imagine, but not enough that there would be anything other than vague rumour it was Ramsay who sacked Winterfell. Remember that Ramsay is supposedly dead at this point as far as the North is concerned (having swapped places with the real Reek)

SSM:

Neither Robb nor the Night's Watch learned that Dreadfort man had attacked Ser Rodrik and his host at Winterfell, and had burned castle and town. Does this then mean that nobody of Ser Rodrik's host could flee to tell the truth about the role of Ramsay Snow?

Most of the leaders of Ser Rodrik's host were slain, but a good many of the common soldiers survived and have doubtless straggled back to their villages and holdfasts, spreading tales as they go. Of course, the situation was confused enough so that the tales may disagree, even with each other...

3 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

How come no one even questions why women and children are marched a long distance, during which many may perish, to Dreadfort for “safety”  and not Cerwyn castle, which is still held by Cerwyns, half a day away?

Because the survivors inside Winterfell would know what really happened?

I've got a question of my own.

Maester Aemon dispatched ravens to the kings in the realm about Jeor Mormont being slain beyond the Wall with most of his force and an imminent attack on the Wall. Stannis received his letter which was largely ignored by Alester Florent because they don't have the men and Tywin Lannister gets pissy the letter was sent to the other kings, and decides to ignore the appeal since the north is now independent anyway.

Where was Robb's letter? It doesn't even seem like he was aware what was happening at the Wall or that there was a Great Ranging and most men were lost when he decides to name Jon his heir. Did someone decide that he didn't need to know about this?

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose

On 4/16/2019 at 9:06 AM, Loose Bolt said:

Not that soon after, and not south of the Neck. 

On 4/16/2019 at 9:54 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

The bolton’s hunted down the survivors and shepherded the women and children to the dreadfort. There were undoubtedly one or two escapees i imagine, but not enough that there would be anything other than vague rumour it was Ramsay who sacked Winterfell. Remember that Ramsay is supposedly dead at this point as far as the North is concerned (having swapped places with the real Reek)

There were more than one or two. Stannis tells Jon in a letter that his ranks are swelled by survivors of the sack of Winterfell.