Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

16 hours ago, mzso said:

You didn't actually answer my question. You mixed in the Pentos mushrooms in this somehow, which have no relevance.

Ok, let's be crystal clear: your question is stupid. Move on.:bang:

EDIT: On a second thought: no question is ever stupid. Please accept my apologies @mzso

Edited by Jô Maltese
Apologies

On 4/30/2019 at 9:55 AM, Jô Maltese said:

^^ Fair enough, but again, then there was not point in having Tyrion stealing some more poison story wise...

There doesn't need to be a point, story-wise. Not everything is Chekhov's Broken Chair Leg. Sometimes it just happens.

5 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

There doesn't need to be a point, story-wise. Not everything is Chekhov's Broken Chair Leg. Sometimes it just happens.

Then ask the question directly to GRRM then. And I bet he doesn't know. Because it's irrelevant.

On 5/2/2019 at 1:26 AM, Jô Maltese said:

Ok, let's be crystal clear: your question is stupid. Move on.:bang:

EDIT: On a second thought: no question is ever stupid. Please accept my apologies @mzso

You were the who failed to comprehend it... Rhaenys could answer like a normal person.

On 5/5/2019 at 10:29 AM, Jova Snow said:

Is there any asoiaf equal of coffee? Do they have caffeine?? I think the leaves Marwyn chews is qqat plant of Yemen but is there any region like Mocha and Kaffa in asoiaf that blesses you with much needed caffeine? 

I don't think so, at least none was shown yet. Sourleaf is more like tobacco, but red and leaves a stain of the teeth.

19 hours ago, mzso said:

I don't think so, at least none was shown yet. Sourleaf is more like tobacco, but red and leaves a stain of the teeth.

But what if it is qqat and Marwyn is high 90% of the time? But asoiaf isn't somewhere I would love to live if there is no caffeine! What about tea? Are they made from different herbs or is there black tea too? 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:56 AM, Jova Snow said:

But what if it is qqat and Marwyn is high 90% of the time?

WTF is qqat?

With the addictive chewing it's clearly meant as a tobacco analog.

But asoiaf isn't somewhere I would love to live if there is no caffeine!

That's rather sad.

What about tea? Are they made from different herbs or is there black tea too

It wouldn't make sense to include any of these since they didn't became widespread worldwide until after the middle ages, which twoiaf is based on. So no coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. Maybe GRRM will conjure up another analog for one of them.

2 hours ago, mzso said:

WTF is qqat?

With the addictive chewing it's clearly meant as a tobacco analog.

That's rather sad.

It wouldn't make sense to include any of these since they didn't became widespread worldwide until after the middle ages, which twoiaf is based on. So no coffee, tea, chocolate, etc. Maybe GRRM will conjure up another analog for one of them.

Qqat or qat is a plant native to Yemen and Horn of Africa, it is a local choice of getting high. 

On 5/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, mzso said:

While all your examples are true -- there's no coffee, tea, chocolate, tomatoes, potatoes, etc., there's not a blanket absence of "New World" crops. Pumpkins, for example, definitely exist, and I am pretty sure maize does as well.

13 hours ago, LordImp said:

In case of a Queen on the IT , will her title be Lady of the seven kingdoms? 

From examples in the history of Westeros, it varies. Rhaenyra Targaryen claimed the title of "Lady of the Seven Kingdoms," but according to the ADWD Appendix, Dany's full title is:

DAENERYS TARGARYEN, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen, Queen of the Andals and the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, called DAENERYS STORMBORN, the UNBURNT, MOTHER OF DRAGONS,

So it really varies. I am guessing it could be seen as a feudal title similar to how a female ruler of Ironoaks is "Lady of Ironoaks," not "Lord of Ironoaks," but there are also some offices that have gender neutral lords -- e.g. Alyse Ladybright, who is Lord Treasurer of Sunspear, not Lady Treasurer of Sunspear.

On 5/8/2019 at 4:20 PM, Falconer said:

Did GRRM write Robb POV chapters (recently-ish)? I could have sworn I heard that he did, but I can’t find anything about it. This would be from while he was alive, eg., during ACoK.

Never heard of that, but I do recall GRRM saying he wished he had written Robb POVs. I don't think he's ever come out and said that he did. 

Which prominent character of ASOIAF had black horse, and also fits into description of the Third Horseman of the Apocalypse?

The first one, on white or silver horse fits with Dany's description. Second on red horse was Drogo (War/Conquest). The rider on pale horse, the fourth one (Death/pale mare), is obvious. Though, who was the third one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse

"The Lamb of God opens the first four of the seven seals, which summons four beings that ride out on white, red, black, and pale horses.

The prophecy describes a period of time when a quarter of the population of the earth would be killed by a combination of wars, famine and disease. The prophecy describes the causes as 1) a conquering people whose weapon was the bow "I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest." 2) a people engaged in constant war "Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make men slay each other. To him was given a large sword." 3) high food prices leading to famine "before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “A quart of wheat for a day’s wages, and three quarts of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!" and 4) disease " I looked and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him."."