Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 5/30/2019 at 2:35 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

On Dorne;

The name Dorne and how it looks on the map makes me think of Cornwall, especially since westeros draws many elements from england/britain, even the heptarchy / seven anglo-saxon kingdoms. 

The people, sand/stone/salt dornish and geography, deserts, sea all around, mountanious region to the north connecting to the rest of the continent, where also the “original inhabitants” live make me think of moorish spain.

But are there any more inspirations on real world?

I think I read that Wales was an influence, as well as Spain during the Convivencia, but I do not recall where I read it.

On 5/30/2019 at 4:35 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

On Dorne;

The name Dorne and how it looks on the map makes me think of Cornwall, especially since westeros draws many elements from england/britain, even the heptarchy / seven anglo-saxon kingdoms. 

The people, sand/stone/salt dornish and geography, deserts, sea all around, mountanious region to the north connecting to the rest of the continent, where also the “original inhabitants” live make me think of moorish spain.

But are there any more inspirations on real world?

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Historical_Influences_for_Dorne/

:ninja:

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

AGoT

"The king had other baseborn children scattered throughout the Seven Kingdoms. He had openly acknowledged one of his bastards, a boy of Bran’s age whose mother was highborn. The lad was being fostered by Lord Renly’s castellan at Storm’s End"

who's the boy? and how come we never heard of him again

1 hour ago, hnv said:

AGoT

"The king had other baseborn children scattered throughout the Seven Kingdoms. He had openly acknowledged one of his bastards, a boy of Bran’s age whose mother was highborn. The lad was being fostered by Lord Renly’s castellan at Storm’s End"

who's the boy? and how come we never heard of him again

That's Edric Storm, who is discussed in ACOK and featured in ASOS.

Stannis brings him from SE to Dragonstone after SE has fallen to him, and there Edric remains a companion to Shireen until Davos has him smuggled from the island to protect him protect from Melisandre.

On 6/6/2019 at 7:25 AM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

to protect him from Melisandre.

Allegedly.

And it was Melisandre who told me to send for you when Ser Axell wished to give you to R'hllor." He smiled thinly. "Does that surprise you?"

"Yes. She knows I am no friend to her or her red god."

"But you are a friend to me. She knows that as well." He beckoned Davos closer. "The boy is sick. Maester Pylos has been leeching him."

"The boy?" His thoughts went to his Devan, the king's squire. "My son, sire?"

"Devan? A good boy. He has much of you in him. It is Robert's bastard who is sick, the boy we took at Storm's End."

Edric Storm. "I spoke with him in Aegon's Garden."

"As she wished. As she saw." Stannis sighed. "Did the boy charm you?

On 6/7/2019 at 12:34 PM, Corvo the Crow said:

Where exactly is Highggarden located? On the maps it seems on the southern/eastern side of the Mander but the Dornish are told to have crossed the Mander and sacked Highggarden.

Either Highgarden is on the Northern side and the maps are slightly wrong, GRRM messed up, or, most likely, the raiders were from Western Dorne: the "King" who sacked Highgarden could have been a Dayne- IIRC several Daynes have sacked Oldtown, so this one probably went over the Mander and attacked Highgarden from the North. 

On 5/30/2019 at 5:14 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

Where on western North was Brandon the Shipwright built his fleet and Brandon the Burner torched his?

It is never mentioned, but I'd posit either Barrowton or Torrhen's Square. The waters near these locations lead to the Saltspear and out to the Sunset Sea. If he wanted to build right on the ocean, either somewhere along the Stony Shore, Sea Dragon Point, or at Flint's Finger. 

On 5/18/2019 at 2:10 AM, Corvo the Crow said:

How come Cregan’s North can raise a host of 8000 men, that is taking the lowest number, made up mostly, if not entirely, of people that would be extra mouths in winter; unweds, homelesses, younger sons, old guys, while raising 20000 men in total in Robb’s North already leaves many of the bannermen bereft of men?

The difference is so striking, that while Cregan takes thousands south in expectation that many would die and spare the North of extra mouths and these men a cold and hungry death while Robb apparently needs every single men as can’t raise another army(in meaningful numbers that is), so he must take his army North despite the war still going on in the south and a long winter coming.

Cregan's men were fleeing winter as well. It was not yet winter when Robb marched, and most don't believe in superstition about an extra long winter. Besides, Robb's war was personal and the North was invested. The Northern Lords are proud, so its likely that Jon Umber, Galbart Glover, Helman Tallhart, and Maege Mormont were trying to impress Robb with their numbers. This idea is strengthened by the fact that Lords who didn't care didn't send troops- like Barbrey Dustin, who sent as few men as possible. Cregan and the Winter Wolves didn't care about the Dance of the Dragons. It was a petty southern war, and the Pact of Ice and Fire was already unlikely to happen with winter common, and Jacaerys dead by the time the Northmen even joined the war. 

Was the tower of joy named after or before Rhaegar and Lyanna were there together? Personally I think after because it makes sense if they loved each other, but some said before. I remember Rhaegar is said to have been a solemn boy during his youth, making sad songs so it’s kinda weird if he named sth “joy” without having any joy

@Ran In 161 AC King Baelor had sent Aegon as an envoy to Braavos. For how long was Aegon staying there?

A lot of readers think, that Aegon was in a relatioship with Bellegere Otherys, for as long as he was staying in Braavos. So they think, that Aegon was away from Westeros in span of 161-171. Though this contradicts with year of Daemon Blackfyre's birth (170), and in-world rumors that Jeyne Lothston possibly was Aegon's daughter (14 years old in 178, conceived in 162, or 163, or 164).

So which is it - 1. he was staying in Braavos for those 10 years, or 2. he left Braavos sometime after 161, but continued his relatioship with Bellegere until 171, even after he returned to Westeros? 

2 hours ago, oggy1324 said:

Was the tower of joy named after or before Rhaegar and Lyanna were there together? Personally I think after because it makes sense if they loved each other, but some said before. I remember Rhaegar is said to have been a solemn boy during his youth, making sad songs so it’s kinda weird if he named sth “joy” without having any joy

It is said that Rhaegar gave the tower its name:

It was said that Rhaegar had named that place the tower of joy, but for Ned it was a bitter memory. (AGOT, Eddard X)

As to why he named it the tower of 'joy', it could have been because he loved Lyanna. Some accounts say that he did. Or, perhaps he saw the tower as a source of joy because it is where he would get his third dragon's head. Or, some other reason we do not yet know.

In any case, Rhaegar is given as the only source for the name. But when he named the tower (before he was ever there with Lyanna, during his time there with her, or only after he left - and that is assuming that he was ever there with her, which is something we do not yet know) is unclear.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, Loose Bolt said:

Were troops of Riverlands under authority of a warden? Or did any of 4(?) wardens have royal authority to command forces of riverlords? 

I expect it would depend on what kind of threat the riverlords are opposing. If the Free Cities are invading from across the narrow sea, rivermen would serve under the Warden of the East. If Dorne declares its independence, rivermen might aid the Warden of the South in suppressing the revolt. If a horde of wildlings breaks through the Wall, westermen and Valemen who ride north to oppose them would serve under the Warden of the North.