Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 6/25/2019 at 3:51 PM, Loose Bolt said:

What is traveling time of ships from White Harbor to King's Landing? Or if Ned had asked some troops from WH how soon they could have come to save him and his daughters?

When you include the time needed to call the banners, and the variable winds, I’d say a month at least.

But even then unless the entire northern army sailed to KL they wouldn’t be able to assault the city.

1 hour ago, Darion Storm said:

When you include the time needed to call the banners, and the variable winds, I’d say a month at least.

But even then unless the entire northern army sailed to KL they wouldn’t be able to assault the city.

As long as Ned was still HotK he would have needed "only" couple thousand men to secure King's Landing and those could have come from White Harbor. Naturally assuming that Manderlys would have enough available ships to carry them.

But assuming that Ned had been really paranoid and called those men as soon he heard about raids in Riverlands would he has enough time to do that.

Or my question is how much time there was between moment when Ned heard about those raids and the moment when he tried that failed coup? 

One question that keeps popping up in my head is: Why is Roose Bolton so ''content'' with Ramsay? He even says that if Walda, his thick Frey wife, bears him many children, they will all lie by Ramsay's hand. That didn't seem to bother him though. In his private conversations with Ramsay and others, it is clear though that he is not exactly happy with Ramsay, either and often finds him short-tempered and acting stupid. Why is he accepting him as an heir then and lets him proceed without interfering more?

Is the House of Black and White so small that it only contains two Faceless Men who reside there permanently?

Surely there must be a lot of Faceless Men since their organisation is so "grand" and well-known and they have an entire religion and everything. Shouldn't there be at least 20-50, or maybe more than 100 Faceless Men in the world? And surely they can't all constantly be out on missions? And isn't the House of Black and White their only headquarters?

But in the "The Blind Little Girl" chapter in ADWD, it says that "Besides her, the House of Black and White was home to two serving men, three acolytes, Umma the cook, and the two priests that she called the waif and the kindly man. Others came and went, sometimes by secret ways, but those were the only ones who lived here".

So what's the thing? Why aren't there more priests/faceless men in the House of Black and White?

Arya sees a number of Faceless Men in meetings. It does seem that the House of Black and White isn't really a home for them, but just a kind of training, meeting, and storage space.

On 6/30/2019 at 9:29 PM, namesarehard said:

Also, a seven sided building is about the hardest to build.

LOL - do you know this for a fact?  would a triangle be the easiest?

regarding the SEPT - i am not certain, it would depend on the size of the building but most recollections i have of character actions in the SEPT involve kneeling.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:29 AM, namesarehard said:

Extremely stupid question: Where do you sit in a sept? There are seven altars spaced around the room. Also, a seven sided building is about the hardest to build.

I think you either stand or kneel on the hard floor, and take the discomfort in order to show deference to the gods.

Edited by Br16

On 6/30/2019 at 11:29 PM, namesarehard said:

Where do you sit in a sept? 

Sansa had never seen the sept so crowded, nor so brightly lit; great shafts of rainbow-colored sunlight slanted down through the crystals in the high windows, and candles burned on every side, their little flames twinkling like stars. The Mother's altar and the Warrior's swam in light, but Smith and Crone and Maid and Father had their worshipers as well, and there were even a few flames dancing below the Stranger's half-human face . . . for what was Stannis Baratheon, if not the Stranger come to judge them? Sansa visited each of the Seven in turn, lighting a candle at each altar, and then found herself a place on the benches between a wizened old washerwoman and a boy no older than Rickon, dressed in the fine linen tunic of a knight's son. (ACOK Sansa V)

15 hours ago, Yaya said:

LOL - do you know this for a fact?  would a triangle be the easiest?

I'm not an architect but I know the angles are a PITA. An equilateral triangle has 60° angles, a square has 45°, pentagon 36°, hexagon 30°, octagon 22.5°.

A heptagon would be 25.714285714285714285714285714286°.

2 hours ago, Nittanian said:

Sansa had never seen the sept so crowded, nor so brightly lit; great shafts of rainbow-colored sunlight slanted down through the crystals in the high windows, and candles burned on every side, their little flames twinkling like stars. The Mother's altar and the Warrior's swam in light, but Smith and Crone and Maid and Father had their worshipers as well, and there were even a few flames dancing below the Stranger's half-human face . . . for what was Stannis Baratheon, if not the Stranger come to judge them? Sansa visited each of the Seven in turn, lighting a candle at each altar, and then found herself a place on the benches between a wizened old washerwoman and a boy no older than Rickon, dressed in the fine linen tunic of a knight's son. (ACOK Sansa V)

But which way do the benches face?

Edited by namesarehard

6 minutes ago, namesarehard said:

Towards altars.

Probably big sept looks something like three heptagons - the outer one, are walls of the sept; the one in the centre are made from seven altars; and the third one, that is between the other two, are raws of benches, also placed in a form of heptagon (seven-sided polygon), and people sit on those benches facing altars in front, with their backs towards walls. Something like Roman Colosseum, only seven-sided instead of round.

7 hours ago, namesarehard said:

I know George hasn't made up rules to cyvasse but there doesn't even seem to be agreement whether it's played on a board of squares or hexagons. Why is that?

I only recall squares and tiles being mentioned. Where are the hexagons referenced? Could you provide the quote?

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

7 hours ago, namesarehard said:

that could be the clue: "benches"

where i come from a 'bench' has no front or back - you can sit on either side. 
plus, they are portable, moveable. 
perhaps the sept conatains a number of benches and people move them about as needed. 

9 hours ago, Megorova said:

Towards altars.

Probably big sept looks something like three heptagons - the outer one, are walls of the sept; the one in the centre are made from seven altars; and the third one, that is between the other two, are raws of benches, also placed in a form of heptagon (seven-sided polygon), and people sit on those benches facing altars in front, with their backs towards walls. Something like Roman Colosseum, only seven-sided instead of round.

Maybe. I just picture people playing musical chairs as the septon walks from altar to altar talking about the different gods. :P

1 hour ago, Yaya said:

that could be the clue: "benches"

where i come from a 'bench' has no front or back - you can sit on either side. 
plus, they are portable, moveable. 
perhaps the sept conatains a number of benches and people move them about as needed. 

I compare a sept to a church. Every church I've been in has had bolted down benches with backs. Maybe it was different in medieval times.

I'm wondering if maybe there's just one pulpit say between the father and mother.

2 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I only recall squares and tiles being mentioned. Where are the hexagons referenced? Could you provide the quote?

I don't remember squares being mentioned specifically. There are just a lot of versions online with squares and hexagons.

It might be because of this picture which apparently comes from a Game of Thrones collectible card game:

cyvasse

I wish George would allow official rules because I love games.

5 hours ago, namesarehard said:

I don't remember squares being mentioned specifically. There are just a lot of versions online with squares and hexagons.

It might be because of this picture which apparently comes from a Game of Thrones collectible card game:

cyvasse

Ah, I see.

None of the online versions are official. In his text, George only describes the cyvasse board as having squares or tiles. In addition, the players arrange their pieces behind a cyvasse screen.

Anything else regarding the layout of the board is not canon.

5 hours ago, namesarehard said:

I wish George would allow official rules because I love games.

Sadly, Martin has turned down offers from game companies to develop rules for cyvasse and market the game, as he prefers to have the profundity and complexity of the game more suggested than detailed.