Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

20 minutes ago, Toon Ganondorf said:

Perhaps its been asked, but why was Ethan Glover spared the fate of Brandon Stark? 

We don't know but the speculations include:

1) he was a squire (so leniency)

2) plot wise it was necessary for him to have been in King's Landing (between his capture and the Sack) for Ned to then find him.

Edited by Ser Leftwich

5 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

We don't know but the speculations include:

1) he was a squire (so leniency)

2) plot wise it was necessary for him to have been in King's Landing (between his capture and the Sack) for Ned to then find him.

How was it plot necessary? To help find the Tower of Joy? I can't imagine that's it

14 minutes ago, Toon Ganondorf said:

How was it plot necessary? To help find the Tower of Joy? I can't imagine that's it

There are at least two theories:

1) Ethan gave information to Ned about Rhaegar's character and/or Brandon's knowledge/information;

2) Ethan was given information about Lyanna from Rhaegar, which was then conveyed to Ned.

There may be more, but I am not recalling them (had a drink or seven).

What does the word "pergent" mean???

In one of Tyrion's chapters, when he's aboard the Shy Maid, he's writing down everything he knows about dragons' mating habits, "on which subject Barth, Munkun and Thomax held markedly pergent views".

I googled it and I couldn't find any definition or explanation of it. How is it possible that no online dictionary has this seemingly archaic word and yet GRRM knows it? And what does it mean, and why?

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

What does the word "pergent" mean???

In one of Tyrion's chapters, when he's aboard the Shy Maid, he's writing down everything he knows about dragons' mating habits, "on which subject Barth, Munkun and Thomax held markedly pergent views".

I googled it and I couldn't find any definition or explanation of it. How is it possible that no online dictionary has this seemingly archaic word and yet GRRM knows it? And what does it mean, and why?

That's a mistake in your book, or where ever you have read that, because in the original text it's this - "When the Halfmaester appeared on deck, yawning, the dwarf was writing down what he recalled concerning the mating habits of dragons, on which subject Barth, Munkun, and Thomax held markedly divergent views."

"div" for some reason was replaced with "p", and the rest of the word remained "ergent".

Sometimes things like that happen, there's even a thread about mistakes in the books -
https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/152955-mistakes-in-the-books/

Edited by Megorova

1 hour ago, Adam Targaryen said:

Where do Genna Lannister and Emmon Frey live at the start of the series?

Do they have their own castle, somewhere in either the Westerlands or the Riverlands, or do they live at Casterly Rock or the Twins, or something else?

It is implied they lived at Casterly Rock:

It was hard not to feel contemptuous of Emmon Frey. He had arrived at Casterly Rock in his fourteenth year to wed a lioness half his age. Tyrion used to say that Lord Tywin had given him a nervous belly for a wedding gift. Genna has played her part as well. Jaime remembered many a feast where Emmon sat poking at his food sullenly whilst his wife made ribald jests with whatever household knight had been seated to her left, their conversations punctuated by loud bursts of laughter. She gave Frey four sons, to be sure. At least she says they are his. No one in Casterly Rock had the courage to suggest otherwise, least of all Ser Emmon.

Is the perfumed seneschal that Quaithe warns Dany against the ship Selaesori Qhoran? In one of Tyrion’s chapters Moqorro says that it translates to something like Fragrant Steward, so it could easily be Perfumed Seneschal, and in her travel Tyrion, Moqorro (part of the people Quaithe warned Dany against and Ser Jorah, so Dany would have cause to beware it

2 hours ago, Ghost wind said:

Is the perfumed seneschal that Quaithe warns Dany against the ship Selaesori Qhoran? In one of Tyrion’s chapters Moqorro says that it translates to something like Fragrant Steward, so it could easily be Perfumed Seneschal, and in her travel Tyrion, Moqorro (part of the people Quaithe warned Dany against and Ser Jorah, so Dany would have cause to beware it

There have been many threads arguing this. My money is on Magister Illyrio.  

2 hours ago, namesarehard said:

Any idea how long it takes to become a Maester?

I would think it's at least the equivalent of a four year degree, probably longer. But Jon seems to be depending on Sam to come back soon.

I've made an analysis on that years back which might be useful.

It would depend more on the speed at which a student earns his links, and the minimum amount of links needed, than anything else.

The fastest student we see is Yandel, who takes seven years from the moment he forges his first link, until the moment he is done. How long his first link took him is unknown, so a bit more time at least should be added to those seven years. Aemon took 9 or 10 years to complete his education.

We've seen students earn three links in a year, and know that you require more than six links to become a maester.

Edited by Rhaenys_Targaryen

Did Maekar, as Prince of Summerhall, have dominion, lands, and incomes that went along with it or did he just get a stipend from the Crown? Did he have petty lords below him that were his vassals or not?

Or, did he just have a household of his own, paid for by the crown?

On 7/11/2019 at 5:01 PM, Ghost wind said:

In the Chapter The Queensguard Barristan Selmy actually refers to Rezmak mo Rezmak as the perfumed seneschal.

That's after Dany is gone and honestly I have trouble with these meereeneese names so I don't remember what he did or if he's still going to do something to her.

edit: I guess he could have been responsible for the poisoned locusts.

Edited by namesarehard

Is there a real world historical precedent for "bedding"?

I don't recall anybody explaining the reason for it in the books but I remember Robb explaining it on the show. It's hoped that an heir will be conceived that night and then there will be witnesses that the husband is the father.

1 hour ago, namesarehard said:

Is there a real world historical precedent for "bedding"?

I don't recall anybody explaining the reason for it in the books but I remember Robb explaining it on the show. It's hoped that an heir will be conceived that night and then there will be witnesses that the husband is the father.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding_ceremony

On 7/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, namesarehard said:

Anybody have a lamprey pie recipe?

And a good source of lampreys?

Sea lampreys are a delicacy in Europe, and are seasonally available in France, Spain, and Portugal. In Northern Europe, they are served pickled. In the United States lampreys are considered a pest and an invasive species, historically destroying Great Lakes ecosystems. Nobody in North America eats lampreys, but if you can get them in Europe, here's a recipe: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sea-lamprey-recipe_n_56265381e4b0bce34702343a

Eels probably taste similar (lampreys are a type of eel) and are more widely available. 

Edited by Pride of Driftmark

7 hours ago, Pride of Driftmark said:

Sea lampreys are a delicacy in Europe, and are seasonally available in France, Spain, and Portugal. In Northern Europe, they are served pickled. In the United States lampreys are considered a pest and an invasive species, historically destroying Great Lakes ecosystems. Nobody in North America eats lampreys, but if you can get them in Europe, here's a recipe: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sea-lamprey-recipe_n_56265381e4b0bce34702343a

Eels probably taste similar (lampreys are a type of eel) and are more widely available. 

Well, I guess I can work with that. Now I need to find some lampreys. Since I'm in the U.S. and I'm near the great lakes you'd think it wasn't hard but nobody sells them.

Technically lampreys aren't closely related to eels but more importantly lampreys eat blood, which probably makes them taste much different.