Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, Tywin Manderly said:

From ADwD - Davos II: 

What kind of weapon is a spitfire?

We don't have a good description - the most information we have is that they were "belching death" from the walls of Kings Landing during Stannis' attack.

From that and the name I'd guess they are primitive flamethrowers.
Something like this.

7 minutes ago, corbon said:

We don't have a good description - the most information we have is that they were "belching death" from the walls of Kings Landing during Stannis' attack.

From that and the name I'd guess they are primitive flamethrowers.
Something like this.

Thank you! :)

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Pretty sure they are fighter jets ;) 

Hahhahaha! :rofl:

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Lord Manderly is a time traveller, confirmed

Lord Too-Fat-to-Sit-a-Horse should, however, travel a couple of years further into time and acquire a couple of Boeing B-29 Superfortress bombers and a good number of atomic bombs to nuke, among others, the Dreadfort, Casterly Rock and King's Landing.

A fat man dropping the Fat Man in defense of a little boy(-king)! :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Tywin Manderly said:

At what location did Ramsey Snow forcible marry the widowed Lady Donella Hornwood? 

Propably in Hornwood, since he married her in the presence of a septon and a heart tree (ACOK, Bran V). Since Donella was a Manderly, she must have practiced the Faith of the Seven even after her first marriage, which makes Hornwood the only place you'd find a septon in the north besides White Harbor, Winterfell or the Wall.

On 10/20/2019 at 5:20 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Pretty sure they are fighter jets ;) 

Lord Manderly is a time traveller, confirmed

Just so...

Bandits at eight o'clock move in behind us

Ten ME-109s out of the sun

Ascending and turning our Spitfires to face them

Heading straight for them I press down my guns

I heard that song the other day and thought about this question. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Hightowers are one of the richest houses in Westeros and they control lands via their bannermen that has population at least a million.

So how strong fleet they have?

How many men they could call at arms?

No short answer for that, I fear. Make sure to check this thread for some good ideias though:

15 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Is the forum currently unapproachable via cell phone? I thought it's under maintenance and didn't try to visit on a PC until tonight and realized it worked.

I haven’t used my phone here for a long while, so can’t answer your question. But the best place to ask that is here:

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/113674-board-issues-4/&page=73

On 11/1/2019 at 8:12 PM, Loose Bolt said:

Hightowers are one of the richest houses in Westeros and they control lands via their bannermen that has population at least a million.

So how strong fleet they have?

How many men they could call at arms?

The linked thread is a good start. A shorter answer would be 'a lot' for the men they can field.

The numbers both Lord Ormund Hightower could rise in Oldtown and the Hightower lands proper and two of his principal bannermen who were attacking him (who are powerful Reach houses in their own right) could field put them really in a gigantic territory if you talk about their complete potential.

Even after the Dance when they have lost a lot of men during the war they are still supposed to be the house that has the greatest resources/chances to continue the war, and not just because they still have a lot of coin to hire sellswords.

Once - back in the Gardener days - they had a vast war fleet as well as their trading fleet, but it seems the Redwynes know have a much greater war fleet than they have - although this doesn't mean they have only very few war ships.

There should be massive demand of learned (wo?)men in free cities. The Citadel simply cannot train all those people who are needed to run massive trade networks that exist in Essos.

So my question is who are teaching people how to read, write, count, navigate and make maps in Essos? Or are there any "universities" or schools in Essos?

• 3 weeks later...

Was The Forsaken released as a text version or only as a reading at Balticon? I seemed to recall it being on GRRMs website at some point but can’t recall for sure. I know there is at least one text version floating around but i dont know if that was just a transcription

12 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Was The Forsaken released as a text version or only as a reading at Balticon? I seemed to recall it being on GRRMs website at some point but can’t recall for sure. I know there is at least one text version floating around but i dont know if that was just a transcription

There is a text version that looks “legit”, but I don’t know how legit if that makes sense. I don’t recall ever seeing this chapter on Martin’s site. :dunno:

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It hasn't been on Martin's website. But I think people wrote a transcript from the reading.

And there are quite detailed notes, of course.

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It has not been released in a text form by George. The attendees were asked to not record his reading, but someone did it anyway and then put their transcription on the internet.

Separately, it was interesting listening to George pronounce some of the names. The one I distinctly remember was Aeron Greyjoy; while I always read the Damphair's name as Air-on, George pronounced it like our name Aaron.

i did not know about the 'not properly released' & 'not supposed to be transcribed' bit about "the forsaken". 

i can not wait for the next book. 
i want so much to read the "the forsaken" chapter in it's proper form cause if it is half of what ever the hell it was that i read it is gonna be FREAKING GREAT.   
FREAKING MONDO SUPER GREAT. 
i can't wait for the next part of this adventure.