Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Which combined reading order of Feast/Dance would you recommend?? The boiled leather version or the ''a feast with dragons'' version?

I've read the books following the latter, but the former seems more faithful to the timeline, at least from just reading the chapter order (a feast with dragons has Jon I before Aeron I, but isn't the latter the earliest chapter, chronologically?).

6 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where does the term 'Faith Militant uprising' come from? It is used so widely. but I can not find a single reference in the books.

"—could be undone." She let that hang there, waiting for the High Sparrow to rise to the bait.
He did not disappoint her. "The Faith Militant reborn . . . that would be the answer to three hundred years of prayer, Your Grace. The Warrior would lift his shining sword again and cleanse this sinful realm of all its evil. If His Grace were to allow me to restore the ancient blessed orders of the Sword and Star, every godly man in the Seven Kingdoms would know him to be our true and rightful lord."

Thats in AFFC. It is also used more than half a dozen times in TWoIaF.

52 minutes ago, corbon said:

Thats in AFFC. It is also used more than half a dozen times in TWoIaF.

That was not my question, though. I know the term 'Faith Militant', I was just wondering where the 'Faith Militant uprising' came from. As far as I know it is never used in the books, but it is the name of the wiki entry and many people use it. Why not 'Faith Militant rebellion' or 'rebellion of the Faith'?

9 hours ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

Where does the term 'Faith Militant uprising' come from? It is used so widely. but I can not find a single reference in the books.

I think it goes back to interviews and talks George gave after AFfC came out. I'm especially thinking about one hour-long interview about religious stuff where George really laid out what he tried to accomplish with the sparrow movement in AFfC. It is there that he stresses the fact that before the Conquest there were many kings but only one High Septon.

But no guarantee that it is from such source. Could also be from some RPG content. But we were using this specific term long before ADwD and TWoIaF if I'm not mistaken.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

But no guarantee that it is from such source. Could also be from some RPG content. But we were using this specific term long before ADwD and TWoIaF if I'm not mistaken.

I searched through some RPGs, but only the A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide says the 'Faith Militant rose up' two times, the other ones does not mention the Faith Militant at all. Maybe I can find the video. 

39 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

I searched through some RPGs, but only the A Song of Ice and Fire Campaign Guide says the 'Faith Militant rose up' two times, the other ones does not mention the Faith Militant at all. Maybe I can find the video. 

The interview I remember wasn't a video but sound file - telephone interview, I think - from some year in the 2000s.

@Ran Do you have any idea where the term 'Faith Militant Uprising' originated?

This is a small thing but I've always wondered about it. In aDwD, A Ghost in Winterfell:

"The reek within the Great Hall was palpable by eventide. With hundreds of horses, dogs, and men squeezed underneath one roof, the floors slimy with mud and melting snow, horseshit, dog turds, and even human feces, the air redolent with the smells of wet dog, wet wool, and sodden horse blankets, there was no comfort to be found amongst the benches, but there was food." 

Why in the world, are there human feces?! 

5 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

This is a small thing but I've always wondered about it. In aDwD, A Ghost in Winterfell:

"The reek within the Great Hall was palpable by eventide. With hundreds of horses, dogs, and men squeezed underneath one roof, the floors slimy with mud and melting snow, horseshit, dog turds, and even human feces, the air redolent with the smells of wet dog, wet wool, and sodden horse blankets, there was no comfort to be found amongst the benches, but there was food." 

Its too cold for some people to go out, I suspect. And they just don't care.
Plus, GRRM is emphasising that the current inhabitants of Winterfell are... the arse-end of humanity.

6 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Suggests lax discipline--not a canp Arthur Dayne would be proud of--in contrast to Stannis's reputation. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I've asked this somewhere before, but I was confused by the answer!  :rolleyes:

If it was Rhaegar's intention to name his children for the conquerors, why did he start with the youngest?  Why begin with Rhaenys not Visenya?

There is no reason to assume that it was Rhaegar's intention to name his children after the Conquerors. Therefore, it doesn't matter.

6 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

There is no reason to assume that it was Rhaegar's intention to name his children after the Conquerors. Therefore, it doesn't matter.

Thanks.  I do somewhat agree with that, but I have seen quite a few people make the argument that it was his intention due to his belief in prophecy, etc.  I just wondered why it's thought, by some, that someone obsessed with prophecy would be unspecific in his naming scheme.

36 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

No reason to assume but there is indication no? He named 2 children after 2 of the 3 Conquerors. Of course that doesn't prove anything but it is curious. 

3 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

No reason to assume but there is indication no? He named 2 children after 2 of the 3 Conquerors. Of course that doesn't prove anything but it is curious. 

He did. But apparently didn’t care about the order, which is curious as well. Also, we have nothing in the text pointing to Rhaegar wanting to name his kids after the 3 conquerors. And there are so many Aegons anyway... in fact, most of the Targ names, especially male names, are repeated a lot. And they’re all impossible to keep straight - to me, that is. :D

33 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

Thanks.  I do somewhat agree with that, but I have seen quite a few people make the argument that it was his intention due to his belief in prophecy, etc.  I just wondered why it's thought, by some, that someone obsessed with prophecy would be unspecific in his naming scheme.

One could argue that Rhaegar was reversing the order because Rhaenys, not Visenya, was his ancestor.

We won't really know until/unless we find out what Rhaegar intended to name a third child.

Personally, I'm not sold Rhaegar was going for naming his children after all three or the Targaryen Conquerors.

Maybe he intended to have a third child named Aenys? Or Orys? 

Then again, we don't know if prophecy associates particular names or name components to the PTWP and/or the three heads of the dragon.