Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

15 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Did the dragon hatching happen in Llhazar? Was that where Dany was at the time?

Honestly couldn't tell you. Been a few years since my last re-read. I started A Game of Thrones a while back, but only made it a couple hundred pages before I asked myself why I was doing it and put it down. I will not do another re-read until we have a publication date for The Winds of Winter.

5 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Did the dragon hatching happen in Llhazar? Was that where Dany was at the time?

If it wasn't in the Red Waste, it was on the edge of it... 

The land was red and dead and parched...

I'm also asking this question here since there might be people reading here who could be able to answer it:

This is a question for people who read both 'The Last Super Bowl Game' and the longer version of the same story titled 'The Last Super Bowl'.

I'm under the impression the shorter original version did just contain the actual game, meaning it was lacking the entire plot around the change of the sports industry from real games to computer simulations.

Is this a correct assumption or are there other differences between the two versions? Or am I completely mistaken about the differences?

The wiki states Lyman Darry bore the titel 'Lord of Darry', but I am not sure about that. Here is my reasoning, maybe I missed something.

In 298 AC Ser Raymun is head of House Darry:

The royal party had made themselves the uninvited guests of its lord, Ser Raymun Darry (A Game of Thrones, Eddard III)

Raymun is also listed in the appendix of A Game of Thrones in the House Tully section among their knights and lord bannermen as 'Ser Raymun Darry'.

So we see can see a few things here: the head of House Darry is a knight, meaning the Darrys are a knightly house. And a knight can be considered to be a lord of his keep, although he does not bear the title (and would not possess lordly rights either).

Every time Raymun appears, he is titled 'Ser'.

When Raymun dies, he is succeeded by his son Lyman (whose name is only mentioned in the appendix of A Clash of Kings). 

"Darry men recaptured their lord's keep but held it less than a fortnight before Gregor Clegane descended on them and put the whole garrison to the sword, even their lord." (A Clash of Kings, Catelyn I)

While Lyman is referred to as lord here, it is not clear if this mean he bears the title or is just head of his house and leader of his men. The appendix clarifies:

In opposite to the others, Lyman has no title. I think this is because the Darrys are a knightly house, but Lyman is too young for knighthood.

Of course there is this vexing list by Tom Seven about people who died during the war:

"Ser Raymun Darry, Lord Darry, young Lord Darry." (A Clash of Kings, Arya VI)

This is the only time young Lyman is referred to as 'Lord Darry'. It remains unclear if the first 'Lord Darry' refers to Ser Raymun (I do not think so since none of the other people Tom mentions get a second mention). And if it does, it is wrong. So Tom is no credible source on the titel of the Darry, meaning there is actually no proper source stating Raymun or Lyman bore the title Lord of Darry.

Edited by The Wondering Wolf

You can line it up if Ser Raymun is the son of a still-living master of Darry who has retired to a septry and handed over the rule, and thus goes unmentioned in AGoT and ACoK. This would make Lyman Ser Raymun's successor, and the previous "Lord" Darry appears to die sometime in the course of events, presumably due to Lannister forces pillaging and reaving their way across the riverlands.

For that matter, it may well be that the rightful title is Lord of Darry, but in this scenario Ser Raymun hasn't quite inherited the style even if he is running the show.

In any case, until there's confirmation that Tom o' Sevens is in error, this or something like this seems to be the only way to square that particular circle.

(FWIW, pretty sure I recall raising this particular line with Anne and George, and it's never changed, so... make of it what one will.)

@Ran

That is an interesting take I did not consider before. If Raymun's father had died at the beginning of ACOK, it would mean both the appendices are kind of correct, since in AGOT Raymun was just a knight running the show and Lyman did not have any titles yet at the start of ACOK. I am wondering though if a lord who abdicates would not pass on his title to his heir.

As I noted before, there is this quote from the GOO guide:

Lord Darry ruled the House, but Ser Gregor Clegane kills both him and his heir Ser Raymun at Mummer’s Ford at the Red Fork of the Trident. Ser Raymun’s eight- or nine-year- old son succeeds to the lordship of the House.

While it is highly unlikely that Raymun's father died in that battle, they seem to rely on the idea of another Lord Darry too. Was that something you discussed with them? They seem to had some knowledge about the degree of kinship between Raymun, Mariya and Jeyne (siblings) as well.

Just now, The Wondering Wolf said:

While it is highly unlikely that Raymun's father died in that battle, they seem to rely on the idea of another Lord Darry too. Was that something you discussed with them? They seem to had some knowledge about the degree of kinship between Raymun, Mariya and Jeyne (siblings) as well.

I can't recall that one. The wording certainly is wrong, but it may indicate that someone came up with it after conversations with GRRM on GoO's side (we weren't privy to all the things they discussed with him).

5 minutes ago, glassgardens said:

What is the name of the body of water on which Runestone and Old Anchor sit in the Vale? 

(Runestone is on a peninsula; on the other side of the peninsula is Gulltown, which sits on the Bay of Crabs, into which the Trident drains. Y/Y?)

Maybe it doesn’t have a name? Just part of the NS?

https://atlasoficeandfireblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/westeros-the-vale-of-arryn.png

Harrenhal.

The Eyrie and the Gates of the Moon. Sunspear, maybe. Definitely the Water Gardens.

I think any castle that belongs to a family of Andal descent may have been built after the Andals invaded. The castles belonging to the Houses Vance since they would descend from Armistead Vance would be other castles that might have been built after the Andals came to Westeros.

Edited by Alexis-something-Rose

2 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I think any castle that belongs to a family of Andal descent may have been built after the Andals invaded. The castles belonging to the Houses Vance since they would descend from Armistead Vance would be other castles that might have been built after the Andals came to Westeros.

Word. Most, like the Chequey Lions but not all like the Wolfs Den