Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

6 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I got one: why did Visenya assist Maegor in usurping the crown and allow him to kill Aegon? She’s no better than Cersei.

I suspect that without Maegor and Visenya Targ dynasty would have ended. Or they wiped out all rebels when Aegon did nothing until his uncle and V had already saved the Iron Throne.

So Maegor I gained his crown by right of conquest like his late father. Besides he has also proven his right to rule by winning trial of 7. That is reason why to me Maegor was legitimate king and so M I had right to kill Aegon as a rebel.

Guys, I am not native English speaker, need your help. 

This sentence in TWOIAF:

The victory sealed the entry of the riverlands into the conflict, following the marriage of Lord Tully's daughters to Lords Arryn and Stark.

So, does it mean Battle of Bells happened adter the wedding? because currenlty wiki says it happened before the wedding.

14 minutes ago, DanaKz said:

This sentence in TWOIAF:

So, does it mean Battle of Bells happened adter the wedding? because currenlty wiki says it happened before the wedding.

Yes.

ASoS, Catelyn I

“Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully." 

ADwD, The Griffin Reborn 

Yet whilst the search dragged on, Eddard Stark and Hoster Tully came down upon the town with a rebel army. Bells and battle followed, and Robert emerged from his brothel with a blade in hand, and almost slew Jon on the steps of the old sept that gave the town its name. 

59 minutes ago, DanaKz said:

This sentence in TWOIAF:

It happened before the wedding.

- Jon Arryn and Ned had to look for Robert, so they agreed to marry both Cat and Lysa.

- The battle of the bells happened.

- the wedding occurs.

2 hours ago, DanaKz said:

Robert was hiding at the Stoney Sept, and Aerys' people were searching for him. Ned and Hoster Tully (with their troops) arrived there just in time to save him.

Hoster agreed to help Ned after he arranged Ned's engagement with Catelyn. Additional agreement about Lysa's marriage with Jon Arryn was made only after Jon's heir got killed during the Battle of the Bells.

So chronology went like this:

1. Ned arrived to Riverrun, and agreed to marry with Cat, in exchange for Hoster's support in the war.

2. Ned, Hoster and Jon (he wasn't at Riverrun with Ned, he was bringing his troops from The Vale to join with the others) went to Stoney Sept to save Robert.

3. Jon's heir, Denys Arryn, died in the battle.

4. After their return to Riverrun, Hoster additionally arranged that Lysa will marry with Jon, on the same day when Cat will marry with Ned.

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Hoster_Tully#Robert.27s_Rebellion

Edited by Megorova

The weddings happened before the battle.

Cat was pregnant with Robb during the war and Lysa married before Cat.

2 hours ago, DanaKz said:

The victory sealed the entry of the riverlands into the conflict, following the marriage of Lord Tully's daughters to Lords Arryn and Stark.

Following

The victory followed the marriages 

28 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Following

Damn. Does this mean I didn’t misremember the whole thing after all? :lol:

44 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Following

No. It was a double wedding. Cat and Lysa married the same day.

And one day fifteen years ago, this second father had become a brother as well, as he and Ned stood together in the sept at Riverrun to wed two sisters, the daughters of Lord Hoster. (Catelyn I, AGoT 2)

The wedding happened after the Battle of the Bells. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Damn. Does this mean I didn’t misremember the whole thing after all? :lol:

Lol... Maybe not

43 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

No. It was a double wedding. Cat and Lysa married the same day.

And one day fifteen years ago, this second father had become a brother as well, as he and Ned stood together in the sept at Riverrun to wed two sisters, the daughters of Lord Hoster. (Catelyn I, AGoT 2)

Cool.

43 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

The wedding happened after the Battle of the Bells. 

I don't think so. It was a late in the war when Griff lost, as he was near the end of the list of banished hands.

The passage above, or here, 

4 hours ago, DanaKz said:

Says the battle was following the marriage and was the seal of their entry into the conflict. 

Which makes sense, two rebellious son in laws leave you with little wiggle room but being a rebel yourself is well, a rebellion

4 hours ago, DanaKz said:

This sentence in TWOIAF:

I believe its an error, on top of a technically poor piece of writing (GRRM's excuse being its from some Maester, not him).

The Riverlands had already entered the war before the twin weddings, fighting at the battle of the bells. We know this because Deny Arryn who was Jon Arryns heir, died in the battle of the bells.

"The Mad King's men had been hunting Robert, trying to catch him before he could rejoin your father," he told her as they rode toward the gate. "He was wounded, being tended by some friends, when Lord Connington the Hand took the town with a mighty force and started searching house by house. Before they could find him, though, Lord Eddard and your grandfather came down on the town and stormed the walls. Lord Connington fought back fierce. They battled in the streets and alleys, even on the rooftops, and all the septons rang their bells so the smallfolk would know to lock their doors. Robert came out of hiding to join the fight when the bells began to ring. He slew six men that day, they say. One was Myles Mooton, a famous knight who'd been Prince Rhaegar's squire. He would have slain the Hand too, but the battle never brought them together. Connington wounded your grandfather Tully sore, though, and killed Ser Denys Arryn, the darling of the Vale. But when he saw the day was lost, he flew off as fast as the griffins on his shield. The Battle of the Bells, they called it after. Robert always said your father won it, not him."

Jon Arryn only married Lysa because he suddenly needed an heir (his nephew Elbert was one of Brandon Stark's companions, judicially murdered by Aerys). Denys was already his 'emergency heir' - a distant cousin with the right name who married Jon's niece, and so was the nearest thing to a remaining male Arryn associated with the main line.

If she had lost a child before, that might explain Father's words, and much else besides . . . Lysa's match with Lord Arryn had been hastily arranged, and Jon was an old man even then, older than their father. An old man without an heir. His first two wives had left him childless, his brother's son had been murdered with Brandon Stark in King's Landing, his gallant cousin had died in the Battle of the Bells. He needed a young wife if House Arryn was to continue . . . a young wife known to be fertile.

29 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

I don't think so. It was a late in the war when Griff lost, as he was near the end of the list of banished hands.

This is wrong. The BotB was relatively early in the war. Robert had been beaten by Tarly very early on (a lot happens in a short space of time, probably with rather small forces, relatively speaking) and forced to retreat north towards his allies. He was still recovering from his wounds. We can see from above the that the BotB was before the twin weddings, and Ned and Cat were only apart for a year, and the war lasted for about a year. Robb was born while Ned was away in the south, but Ned didn't spend more than half a year away - Ned and Cat were apart for a year.
That puts the BotB/wedding about 3-4ish months in, matching with Robert's doings, and giving Ned 3ish months after the Sack of KL to do his business in the south and get home. You could extend that out to maybe 6 month in at a stretch, but not more.

The absence of a named Hand after JonCon does not mean JonCon lasted until near the end. Rhaegar was sought when JonCon was dismissed, and returned, and clearly took charge. There probably was no Hand needed - Rhaegar fulfilling that function, until Rhaegar left before the BotTrident.

Also of note, we don;t know exactly when the war started. Many people incorrectly assume its early in 282, due to mis-understanding Rhaegars's trip. He left on the first day of 282 on a trip that ultimately (ie after an unknown but considerable length of time and through several (unknown how many or where) other locations led to him meeting and 'abducting' Lyanna in the Riverlands. That could be February or June/July even, who knows. Then add in some more time for people to get word, Brandon's response, Aerys sending for B's companion's fathers, trials and executions, Rickard to arrive, and Aerys to send word to Jon Arryn demanding Ned and Robert's heads. The rebellion may not have begun until mid-late 282.

I agree, @corbon.

There is a checklist of things that occurred in 282 AC, and I don't see it all happening in under two or three months, on top of not knowing how early or late in the year these events began.

- an unknown amount of time into 282 AC, Brandon turns 20 years old

- an unknown amount of time later the wedding between Brandon, 20, and Catelyn is announced, and Brandon duels Littlefinger

- an unknown amount of time later Brandon leaves Riverrun vowing to wed Catelyn when he returns (the app says he went to meet up with his father's wedding party coming down from the North)

- an unknown amount of time later Brandon is on his way back to Riverrun, when he learns Rhaegar has allegedly abducted his sister, and rides off to the Red Keep with his companions

- an unknown amount of time later Brandon arrives at the Red Keep with his companions, they are arrested, and their fathers are summoned to answer for their crimes

- an unknown amount of time later Rickard and the other fathers arrive at the Red Keep to answer for their sons' crimes

- an unknown amount of time later Rickard, Brandon, still 20, etc. were executed

Edited by Bael's Bastard

4 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Following

There are some things that we can infer rather easily, Cat remembers that Ned and her spent 14 days together before the war resumed. 

The wedding had to happen after Robert was rescued, not only because him being touch and go must've been well known.

Robert meant too much, both to Ned and old Jon and to the rebel war effort in general for Ned to be kicking in in Riverrun while his best pal was being hunted down.

1 hour ago, corbon said:

I believe its an error, on top of a technically poor piece of writing (GRRM's excuse being its from some Maester, not him).

Its confusing wording, for sure. But I dont think its a typo

1 hour ago, corbon said:

This is wrong. The BotB was relatively early in the war.

I don't think so man. It was the beginning of the end. 

He floated in heat, in memory. "After dancing griffins lost the Battle of the Bells, Aerys exiled him." Why am I telling this absurd ugly child? "He had finally realized that Robert was no mere outlaw lord to be crushed at whim, but the greatest threat House Targaryen had faced since Daemon Blackfyre. The king reminded Lewyn Martell gracelessly that he held Elia and sent him to take command of the ten thousand Dornishmen coming up the kingsroad. Jon Darry and Barristan Selmy rode to Stoney Sept to rally what they could of griffins' men, and Prince Rhaegar returned from the south and persuaded his father to swallow his pride and summon my father. But no raven returned from Casterly Rock, and that made the king even more afraid. He saw traitors everywhere, and Varys was always there to point out any he might have missed. So His Grace commanded his alchemists to place caches of wildfire all over King's Landing. Beneath Baelor's Sept and the hovels of Flea Bottom, under stables and storehouses, at all seven gates, even in the cellars of the Red Keep itself.

The Bells was the decisive blow, just less romantic then the Trident. 

Seventeen years had come and gone since the Battle of the Bells, yet the sound of bells ringing still tied a knot in his guts. Others might claim that the realm was lost when Prince Rhaegar fell to Robert's warhammer on the Trident, but the Battle of the Trident would never have been fought if the griffin had only slain the stag there in Stoney Sept. The bells tolled for all of us that day. For Aerys and his queen, for Elia of Dorne and her little daughter, for every true man and honest woman in the Seven Kingdoms. And for my silver prince.

282? Not like 284? What year is it? 301? Tyrion was in KL in 300 and is now in Jorahs hands, so that's some time, at least a year. Either way 17 years cant be 282.

Also, we don't really know if they have a June, let alone a 12 month calender

5 minutes ago, frenin said:

Ned to be kicking in in Riverrun while his best pal was being hunted down.

Lol. Well that's probably what happened. He then won Roberts throne at the Stoney Sept, so its all good

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

For the Targs, sure. But not for the war,  9 months passed from the Bells to the Trident.

Ned had lingered scarcely a fortnight with his new bride before he too had ridden off to war with promises on his lips. At least he had left her with more than words; he had given her a son. Nine moons had waxed and waned, and Robb had been born in Riverrun while his father still warred in the south. She had brought him forth in blood and pain, not knowing whether Ned would ever see him. Her son. He had been so small …

It wasn't, literally by word of god.

The siege of Storm's End

The Targaryens had lost a number of battles (and had also won some), but they weren't really losing the war until the Trident and the Sack of King's Landing. And then it was lost. [...] When Ned appeared, Aerys, Rhaegar, and Aegon were dead, and Viserys fled. There was no one left to fight for, and the war was clearly lost anyway.

Lol. Well that's probably what happened. He then won Roberts throne at the Stoney Sept, so its all good

Almost impossible. Especially the 14 days part. that's just impossible to believe, the wedding simply had to be after the Bells.

6 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

You're quote indicates it was the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end.
Its only after the BotBs the Targaryen's start taking things seriously. Thus the end of the beginning, and the beginning of the middle, so to speak. 

Further there are many things going in that paragraph over a long time.
Aerys didn't even send Hightower to find Rhaegar until after the BotBells. So Hightower needs to find Rhaegar, then Rhaegar returns, then summons Tywin, who has to get there with his army, plus the royal army is reassembled by Selmy and Darry, the Dornish forces need to be gathered and march to KL... there's months and months in there. The passage you quoted is explicitly Jaime's memory wandering (floating) in a hot bath, not carefully listing a precise and tight order of everything.

It wasn't exactly decisive. The Loyalists still outnumbered the rebels at the Trident, plus Tywin was uncommitted, plus the full Tyrell power was sitting at Storms End.
The Trident itself was only decisive because of two things - Rhaegar's death robbing the royalists of both a leader and a future to fight for, and Tywin's committing at the Sack and ending the Dynasty. 

282? Not like 284? What year is it? 301? Tyrion was in KL in 300 and is now in Jorahs hands, so that's some time, at least a year.

At least a year? Apparently not. Not even close I think. The best ASoIaF timeline I've seen (in terms of research) has Tyrion escape KL in early February 300, meeting up with Griff and co in early March 300 and being kidnapped in April 300. The Lost Lord chapter where your quote is from is in April/May 300.

The sack of KL is placed in 283 according to the ADwD appendix, so BotB can't be 284!

"17 years have come and gone" means more than 17 years, probably less than 18 years. Thus if BotBells was, say, June 282, then any time up to May 300 would fit for JonCon to say that.

Either way 17 years cant be 282.

Can if your maths is wrong around the fuzzy edges. :P
And the edges are fuzzy. Most of our information comes from casual imprecise language - like "17 years had come and gone" which has almost a full year's play in it. Its only rarely that we get a precise date - the only two I can think of are both "the first day of the year" (purple wedding and snows in KL pre-rebellion).

Also, we don't really know if they have a June, let alone a 12 month calender

Sure. We are using our months to make sense of their calendar. What of it?
Their year is approximately the same as ours. "Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth"

15 hours ago, corbon said:

Also of note, we don;t know exactly when the war started. Many people incorrectly assume its early in 282, due to mis-understanding Rhaegars's trip. He left on the first day of 282 on a trip that ultimately (ie after an unknown but considerable length of time and through several (unknown how many or where) other locations led to him meeting and 'abducting' Lyanna in the Riverlands. That could be February or June/July even, who knows.

Lyanna was kidnapped in September of 282, a bit less than a year after the Tournament at Harrenhal, that was held in Late October-early November (lasted 10 days) of 281.

15 hours ago, corbon said:

Then add in some more time for people to get word, Brandon's response, Aerys sending for B's companion's fathers, trials and executions, Rickard to arrive, and Aerys to send word to Jon Arryn demanding Ned and Robert's heads. The rebellion may not have begun until mid-late 282.

I calculated all of that (all traveling that happened in duration of the Rebellion, starting from Lyanna's kidnapping and ending with Ned's return to his wife, already after Lyanna's death and Robert's coronation), and there's enough time from September to December for Brandon's trip to KL, Rickard going after him, Aerys sending raven to the Eyrie, Jon Arryn gathering and leading his people to Gulltown, Robert sailing from Gulltown to Storm's End, Robert going to Summerhall for three duels, Robert returning back to Storm's End, Robert going to Ashford to fight against Rendyll Tarly and Mace Tyrell, Robert going to Stoney Sept and Mace going to siege Storm's End (which lasted for nearly a year). The Rebellion lasted for a bit less than a year, Lyanna was kidnapped in September and Jon was born in September of the next year. Though, the Rebellion itself started not immediately after Lyanna's kidnapping, but only after Brandon's and Rickard's execution, nearly a month later; and it ended approximately 2-4 weeks before Ned found Lyanna in Dorne, when he ended the siege of Storm's End. The Sack of KL happened in July-August, Dany was born in May, Jon, who is according to GRRM, is 8-9 months older than Dany, was born 8 months before Dany - in September of 283. The Rebellion lasted ~11 months, from early-middle October of 282 to late August or early September of 283. The Battle of the Bells and the wedding happened in January-February, Robb was born in October or early November. Catelyn considered Jon as a threat for her children, because he was older than Robb (Jon was born on 23rd of September), if Ned ever legitimized Jon, then Robb would have lost his position as Ned's heir.

13 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

282? Not like 284? What year is it? 301? Tyrion was in KL in 300 and is now in Jorahs hands, so that's some time, at least a year. Either way 17 years cant be 282.

Not a year, less than 6 months. Dany is still 15, and her birthday is in 20s of May or later. Dany is Gemini, an Air sign, same as Jon, who is a Libra. Gemini's are born in May 21-June 21.

It's no later than early June of 300, when JonCon was thinking that 17 years passed since the Battle of the Bells. March-June of 300 - January-February of 283 = 17 years.

13 hours ago, frenin said:

For the Targs, sure. But not for the war,  9 months passed from the Bells to the Trident.

9 months passed from the weddings to the Trident. I don't see the correlation between the weddings and the Bells

It wasn't, literally by word of god.

Yea... But what does he know lol. His opinion is that Cat didnt abuse Jon, so we disagree sometimes. 

Word of god is cool. Wording of god is holy. Asos states that Aerys started the wildfire plot because of the cause and effect started by the Bells. Adwd's Griff also thinks that day was monumental.

Ned won the day, its foreshadowing him actually winning the war (kicking Jaime off the throne and keeping the throne room Tywin free) while Robert was fucking around.

Id compare it to like, Stalingrad. The Allies did win some battles but the war dramatically shifted after Hitler failed to take Stalins namesake. Now some historians may say that when the Allies took Italy and defeated Mussolini (Rhegar) the war was basically over, or that it didnt end until Berlin and Hitler (Kl and Aerys) was subdued and dead. Well, that's not true either because Japan (Tyrell) had yet to unconditionally surrender. 

Aerys (Griff) was confident he could win the Bells, the fact that he didnt, regardless of the prize in question, was shattering for the war effort

Almost impossible. Especially the 14 days part. that's just impossible to believe, the wedding simply had to be after the Bells.

I really dont see why. Especially since thats what the quote in question says. Ya know, the wording of god. (Or some maester pretending to be god, or actually some god pretending to be a maester)

13 hours ago, corbon said:

You're quote indicates it was the end of the beginning, not the beginning of the end.
Its only after the BotBs the Targaryen's start taking things seriously. Thus the end of the beginning, and the beginning of the middle, so to speak.

:huh: lol. Jk. Yea, I mean in terms of actual time maybe your right but in terms of the dramatic shift I think i am

13 hours ago, corbon said:

It wasn't exactly decisive. The Loyalists still outnumbered the rebels at the Trident, plus Tywin was uncommitted, plus the full Tyrell power was sitting at Storms End.
The Trident itself was only decisive because of two things - Rhaegar's death robbing the royalists of both a leader and a future to fight for, and Tywin's committing at the Sack and ending the Dynasty. 

I already listed stuff above, wwii, yada yada yada, shoulda killed Robert then the fact that he actually won that day is egregious, yada yada yada.

The Trident was more in your face, no doubt. Mussolini is hanging by his small fucking intestines.

14 hours ago, corbon said:

At least a year? Apparently not. Not even close I think. The best ASoIaF timeline I've seen (in terms of research) has Tyrion escape KL in early February 300, meeting up with Griff and co in early March 300 and being kidnapped in April 300. The Lost Lord chapter where your quote is from is in April/May 300.

5 months seem very short imo. Tyrion did mad sailing.

I concede that its less then a year, your probably right about that

The sack of KL is placed in 283 according to the ADwD appendix, so BotB can't be 284!

Well, your definitely right about that lol

"17 years have come and gone" means more than 17 years, probably less than 18 years. Thus if BotBells was, say, June 282, then any time up to May 300 would fit for JonCon to say that.

Maybe? I think your confusing yourself (and me lol) tho. 

I dont think Griff would think 17 years and 11 months is "17 years..." Hed be like, nearly 18 years..., or whatever

And the edges are fuzzy.

For real

We are using our months to make sense of their calendar. What of it?
Their year is approximately the same as ours. "Twelve moon tuns to a year, as on earth"

Gotcha

9 months passed from the weddings to the Trident. I don't see the correlation between the weddings and the Bells

I was answering your claim that everything was over after the Bell, I've already answered the Bell's thing.

Yea... But what does he know lol. His opinion is that Cat didnt abuse Jon, so we disagree sometimes. 

Cos she didn't...

Besides chronological reports are easier than pyschological aspects of abuse.

Word of god is cool. Wording of god is holy. Asos states that Aerys started the wildfire plot because of the cause and effect started by the Bells. Adwd's Griff also thinks that day was monumental.

Monumental as it may have been, the battle didn't decide the war, it only took it to a different level with very different stakes.

I really dont see why. Especially since thats what the quote in question says. Ya know, the wording of god. (Or some maester pretending to be god, or actually some god pretending to be a maester)

Because rescuing Robert was kinda relevant.

7 hours ago, Megorova said:

Lyanna was kidnapped in September of 282, a bit less than a year after the Tournament at Harrenhal, that was held in Late October-early November (lasted 10 days) of 281.

I don't see how you can pin any of that down. We have far too little information, especially on the kidnapping of Lyanna, where we have virtually nothing at all on the timing (just that Rhaegar left in early January on a trip that ultimately (which means after an unknown number of other stops and events over an unknown amount of time) culminated in him 'falling on' Lyanna near Harrenhal.

I do know that the Harrenhal date you use is the most likely rough timing. But even that is not actually pin down-able. The language used to tie it to near the end of 281 is not definitive. It is possible Harrenhal could be much earlier in 281, maybe mid year even. Though, I'l repeat, your timing is the most likely for that event.

I calculated all of that (all traveling that happened in duration of the Rebellion, starting from Lyanna's kidnapping and ending with Ned's return to his wife, already after Lyanna's death and Robert's coronation),

GRRM has explicitly warned against this sort of calculation, because he's lazy/sloppy about travel times etc, so it may work out wrong.
Thats said, its better than nothing. But it does need to be deliberately 'roughened' if and when use it.

and there's enough time from September to December for Brandon's trip to KL, Rickard going after him, Aerys sending raven to the Eyrie, Jon Arryn gathering and leading his people to Gulltown, Robert sailing from Gulltown to Storm's End, Robert going to Summerhall for three duels, Robert returning back to Storm's End, Robert going to Ashford to fight against Rendyll Tarly and Mace Tyrell, Robert going to Stoney Sept and Mace going to siege Storm's End (which lasted for nearly a year).

Agreed. A lot gets packed into the first few months.

5 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

9 months passed from the weddings to the Trident. I don't see the correlation between the weddings and the Bells.

It may be less than nine months between weddings and trident, we need to give plenty of wiggle room.  Robb was born 9 months after the wedding, while Ned was away in the south - so after the Sack most likely, but within a few months of it.

The weddings happened shortly after the Bells. They (Lysa's at least) were "hastily arranged" (Cat I ASoS). And arranged specifically (Lysa's) because Jon Arryn's heir died in the BotBells and he had no remaining options for a new one expect make a baby.

Word of god is cool. Wording of god is holy. Asos states that Aerys started the wildfire plot because of the cause and effect started by the Bells.

Sure. And it would have taken months and months to get it set up. Thousands of jars were used and the making of it was much slower than in Tyrion's day, when the return of the dragons seemed to have a magical effect.

Adwd's Griff also thinks that day was monumental.

It was, for him.
Word of 'god' doesn't count as word of 'god' from out of a character's mouth, because then its afflicted with the character's own perceptions and biases.

Id compare it to like, Stalingrad.

Fair enough. I don't agree, but fair enough.
I'd perhaps compare it more to Granicus. The rebels (Alexander) won a significant battle, putting the Royalists (Persian Empire) on notice that this shit was serious, and it took greater battle(s) later, to actually decide the outcome - and if Darius had won Gaugamela and killed Alexander, he would have won the war, just as Rhaegar would have if he'd won at the Trident and killed or captured Robert, I think.

Its also the word of god that Lysa Tully's marriage to Jon Arryn was hastily arranged due to old man Arryn needing a fertile young wife to get an heir on after JonCon slew his backup heir during the battle of the Bells.

We have two incompatible scenarios.
One is one sentence alone, the other is referenced in multiple ways and relevant in several minor plot points. 
Its likely that the one sentence version is a minor error.

Maybe? I think your confusing yourself (and me lol) tho. 

I dont think Griff would think 17 years and 11 months is "17 years..." Hed be like, nearly 18 years..., or whatever

You are free to think that. But Griff has a different way of speaking than you (and I) do - less lols and mad sailings and whatevers and stuff. ;)
What '17 years have come and gone' means is that literally the 17th anniversary has past already. If the 18th anniversary had past we'd expect him to say 18 years have come and gone, so we expect that the 18th anniversary has not come and gone. 
Yes, it might be also appropriate to say 'more than 17 years' , or 'nearly 18 years'  or some other phrase, but GRRM gets to choose what he uses to say what he means.