Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Yeah, he was a knight. The fact that he rode in tourneys is proof enough. The only lords who are not knights are those who do not follow the Seven or who have some physical disability or lack of ability.

Similarly, Stannis is a knight, I’m quite sure.

Edited by Ran

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Yeah, he was a knight. The fact that he rode in tourneys is proof enough. The only lords who are not knights are those who do not follow the Seven or who have some physical disability or lack of ability.

Similarly, Stannis is a knight, I’m quite sure.

I may have missed something here... Do you mean in Renly’s case specifically or in general? Because we do have Brandon Stark and Sandor Clegane participating in tourneys. And these SSMs:

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1191

RELIGION AND KNIGHTHOOD

I just want to start by saying that I a great fan of your work. In aSoS Davos said that he expected Devan to be eventually made a knight. If Devan keeps to R'hllor is that possible?

Could be a problem there, but it's possible that Stannis will change the rituals.

Can someone who keeps to the old gods be made a knight too or is it a exclusive of the Seven?

The latter. Those who follow the old gods can be the northern equivilent of knights, but it's not quite the same.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Tourney_Rules

The personalities of the sponsoring lords and their master-at-arms are another factor. Robert Baratheon was not a great respector of old traditions, and he would hardly have wanted a "knight's only" tournament to honor Ned, who was not a knight. Lord Ashford of Ashford, on the other hand, was trying to curry favor with Baelor Breakspear, the preeminent tourney knight of his time.

Neither Brandon nor Sandor follow the Seven. Brandon followed the Old Gods, Sandor is essentially an atheist.

There's no Seven-following lord that we know of, who rides in tourneys or rides into battle, who is not a knight.

One very small question.... To Lady @Ran

I've seen a lot of threads getting archived after 200-300 replies. Some even below 10. Do you archive the threads when they're dead? Or when you feel that they are dead?

I've seen some really inconsequential topics archived after a few replies, while some really great and longly discussed are not.

Can you pleased explain to me the reasons, requirements and other factors for a topic to be archived? 

22 hours ago, Ran said:

Lord Ran, if you must. :P

Sorry. Got it into my head that your gender was listed as female. My bad.:rolleyes:

22 hours ago, Ran said:

The archiving is done automatically by the board software, based on per forum rules, I believe

What are those rules @Ran

???

Why does the software archives topics/threads with a dozen posts/replies only, while some thread/topics with replies numbering in hundreds are not archived?

These are my real questions now ....Lord @Ran

Edited by TheLastWolf

How openly slavers operate in Essos? For instance Dany and her brother seemed to travel around without any guards since they were kicked out by servants of their late guardian. Both seemed to be potentially very valuable merchandise for any slaver who would have captured them. So if kidnapping people for slaves is common phenomenon around "free cities" then it would be great miracle why Dany and Viserys did not find themselves as sex slaves.

3 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

So if kidnapping people for slaves is common phenomenon around "free cities" then it would be great miracle why Dany and Viserys did not find themselves as sex slaves.

Varys was always spying on them, even before Darry's death. His people wouldn't have let anything to happen to Targaryen-duo, because he was intending to eventually use them for his plans. It's likely that Darry's illness and death was caused by Varys. He killed Darry, because that guy started to make his own plans, when he arranged to make a marriage alliance between Martells and Viserys. Afterwards, when Dany and Viserys became homeless, Varys' people were watching over them, preventing them from being killed or kidnapped, or enslaved, but otherwise they were staying in shadows. Targaryen-duo didn't died from starvation, even after they sold everything they had left, including their mother's crown, is because, besides making his spies to monitor Targaryens, he also occasionally sent to them "good Samaritans", people that were supposedly Targaryen-loyalists, and were willing to help them. Though no one ever kept them for long, because Varys and Illyrio didn't trusted even to their own agents. Because even those agents could have eventually started to make their own plans concerning Targaryens. Same as Darry did. Could be that Darry originally also was working for Varys, was helped by him to get Targaryen-kids to Braavos, and settled them in a house there. And later, to prevent Targaryens from settling somewhere permanently, he occasionally sent to them information that Robert's dogs are supposedly hunting them, and that caused them to leave from wherever they were staying at that time, and to move on. Until Varys and Illyrio decided what to do with them, and finally let Targaryens to settle at Illyrio's mansion in Pentos, where they spent 6 months before Dany's wedding. That's when Varys got from them what he wanted, and there was no reason anymore to keep them alive. Both Dany and Viserys were supposed to die at the Dothraki Sea, but that wouldn't have freed Khal Drogo from providing to Illyrio 10.000 Dothraki-warriors, to aid fAegon in conquest of 7K.

So, even if anyone tried to do something to Dany and Viserys, they were prevented from actually doing it. Illyrio/Varys has influnce in Essos, he's like a mafia boss. It's unlikely that some slaver would have wanted to spoil his own business by overcrossing Illyrio/Varys.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:50 AM, Loose Bolt said:

How openly slavers operate in Essos? For instance Dany and her brother seemed to travel around without any guards since they were kicked out by servants of their late guardian. Both seemed to be potentially very valuable merchandise for any slaver who would have captured them. So if kidnapping people for slaves is common phenomenon around "free cities" then it would be great miracle why Dany and Viserys did not find themselves as sex slaves.

Viserys and Daenerys worth as pretenders to the Iron Throne is far more valuable than they would be as sex slaves. While the powers that be in the Free Cities wait to see how secure Robert really is as a usurper, it makes a lot of sense for them to hedge their bets by giving the Targaryens sanctuary, however temporary. The two are hardly left on their own to be prey for slavers.

It is also important to see the hidden hand of Westerosi Targaryen supporters in the wanderings of Viserys and Daenerys. By that I don't just mean Varys and Illyrio. Their control seems to come very late in the game. The Martells and, perhaps others haven't forgotten the Targaryens. They too have plans for them, and that includes keeping them out of the hands of sex slavers.

So in ADWD, it’s mentioned that there are six claimants to the Rosby seat after Lord Gyles dies in AFFC. Is it possible that four of those claimants are Perwyn, Willamen (Benfrey was killed at the Red Wedding), Olyvar, and Roslin Frey since their mother was a Rosby?

41 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Slavers capture people at Hardhome and attempt to sell them in Lys; one ship winds up captured by the Braavosi and its crew questioned by the Faceless Men.

Which chapter(s) is this information given?

Not sure if this is the one you’re looking for...

ADwD, The Blind Girl

"I know why the Sealord seized the Goodheart. She was carrying slaves. Hundreds of slaves, women and children, roped together in her hold." Braavos had been founded by escaped slaves, and the slave trade was forbidden here.

"I know where the slaves came from. They were wildlings from Westeros, from a place called Hardhome. An old ruined place, accursed." Old Nan had told her tales of Hardhome, back at Winterfell when she had still been Arya Stark. "After the big battle where the King-Beyond-the-Wall was killed, the wildlings ran away, and this woods witch said that if they went to Hardhome, ships would come and carry them away to someplace warm. But no ships came, except these two Lyseni pirates, Goodheart and Elephant, that had been driven north by a storm. They dropped anchor off Hardhome to make repairs, and saw the wildlings, but there were thousands and they didn't have room for all of them, so they said they'd just take the women and the children. The wildlings had nothing to eat, so the men sent out their wives and daughters, but as soon as the ships were out to sea, the Lyseni drove them below and roped them up. They meant to sell them all in Lys. Only then they ran into another storm and the ships were parted. The Goodheart was so damaged her captain had no choice but to put in here, but the Elephant may have made it back to Lys. The Lyseni at Pynto's think that she'll return with more ships. The price of slaves is rising, they said, and there are thousands more women and children at Hardhome."

7 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Fate of Pretty and Crunch?

It's not known, but about that...

Penny looked as though she was about to cry. "Last night I dreamed my brother was alive again. We were jousting before some great lord, riding Crunch and Pretty Pig, and men were throwing roses at us. We were so happy …"

Tyrion slapped her.

1.) Tyrion is an a-hole.

2.) Penny is totally going to "go rogue" and try to find and rescue her animal companions.

20 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Fate of Pretty and Crunch?

Pretty Pig has likely been butchered for bacon. 

About Crunch

Only if you trust Kasporio. Plumm's not-so-cunning second-in-command claimed that three Yunkish slave-catchers were prowling through the camps, asking after a pair of escaped dwarfs. One of them was carrying a tall spear with a dog's head impaled upon it's point, the way Kaspo told it. (Tyrion XII, ADwD 66)

It's possible the dog is dead. I doubt we will get real confirmation either way. With Tyrion and Penny escaping, the Yellow Whale dying, his little treasures would all have been killed as well. It's possible Pretty and Crunch were killed in lieu of Penny and Tyrion. Although I'm sure they would have been killed either way.