Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Vargo Hoat slobbery language question:

When Jaime sets to rescue Brienne, there is a line I don't understand

"Thay out of thith, Kingthlayer, unleth you'd like another thump." He waved a wine cup. "Your thee-mooth bit oth my ear. Thmall wonder her father will not ranthom thuch a freak."

thee-mooth....

What the heck is that. I'm not a native speaker and I've pronouncing that sentences in all possible forms like an idiot and still cannot make sense of this.

thee-mooth. thee-mooth.  thee-mooth

Please help!

24 minutes ago, rotting sea cow said:

thee-mooth....

What the heck is that. I'm not a native speaker and I've pronouncing that sentences in all possible forms like an idiot and still cannot make sense of this.

Please help!

I read that as “she-moose”. :dunno:

8 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I read that as “she-moose”. :dunno:

@rotting sea cow @kissdbyfire @Bael's Bastard I think it is an oblique Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference, to the moose jokes in the credits.

"Mynd you, moose bites Kan be pretti nasti..."

Edited by Ser Leftwich

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 11:29 AM, Lady_Qohor said:

Why are the Stokeworths living in the Red Keep? They don't appear to be friends or family of the Royal Family, they don't have any official court positions and are not hostages or exiles. Lady Stokeworth has a perfectly nice castle down the road so why do Robert and the Lannisters house them for free?

Living at court is more exciting and gives you more opportunities for the advancement of your house. The prominence of the Stokeworths at court may be influenced by them being so close if anything, as it doesn't present much issue in continuing to administer their nearby lands. Lady Tanda was also trying to find a husband for Lady Lollys, so was likely also at court especially frequently to find a match for her.

1 hour ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

How did Rickard and Brandon Stark's bodies come to be interred in the crypts of Winterfell? I can't imagine Aerys II returning them nor bothering to give them graves.

Why not?
While Aerys was Mad, there was a basic rationality to his madness. 

Disrespecting the dead is a long, long way further than Aerys went and has deep implications that even he might be fearful of.

8 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

How did Rickard and Brandon Stark's bodies come to be interred in the crypts of Winterfell? I can't imagine Aerys II returning them nor bothering to give them graves.

I could see a young Jon Connington returning the bodies as it was the honourable thing to do. I could also see Owen Merryweather (described as aimiable) returning the bodies. Merryweather was Hand when the Starks were murdered and returning the bodies may have been a desperate attempt to prevent war. If he did, that might have contributed to Aerys believing Merryweather was conspiring with the rebels and getting rid of him.

8 hours ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

Living at court is more exciting and gives you more opportunities for the advancement of your house. The prominence of the Stokeworths at court may be influenced by them being so close if anything, as it doesn't present much issue in continuing to administer their nearby lands. Lady Tanda was also trying to find a husband for Lady Lollys, so was likely also at court especially frequently to find a match for her.

I can understand why the Stokeworths want to live at court but why do Robert (and then the Lannisters) let them. What does the Royal Family get out of housing and feeding a minor noble family of the Crownlands? They're can't just be an open invitation to all lords (or even all Crownland lords) to come and stay in the Red Keep for as long as they want - if there was the palace would be swamped with nobles jockeying for favours and influence.

Stokeworths are literally vital to King's Landing

Half of the food they ate these days came from his lands or Lady Tanda's. Rosby and Stokeworth lay near the city to the north, and were yet untouched by war.

Tyrion IV ACoK

So until Tyrells replace them as major source of food any sane ruler of KL would try to keep lords of Rosby and Stokeworth friendly.

I don't know. If I'm Robert (and by that I mean Jon Arryn), I want to keep my vassals in the crownlands happy. 

Plus there was a Manly Stokeworth who was the commander of King's Landing City Watch right before Janos Slynt. While we don't know what he was to Tanda and her daughters, it's possible that he is the reason they get to stay in the Red Keep for however long they want. 

9 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Small question people,

My mate Tyrion asked me and I've no answer, so I thought maybe you fellas on the forum could help...

..."Where do whores go?"

He should go to the Happy Port in Braavos. It's near the Ragman's harbor, and is just across from the Mummer's Ship. Ask for the Sailor's Wife or her daughter Lanna. Your mate might not make it out alive, but he will have his question answered.

Edited by SFDanny

On 8/24/2020 at 6:19 AM, rotting sea cow said:

thee-mooth....

Please help!

A "thee-mooth" is also known as a "YMBQ". It is known. 

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

10 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Small question people,

My mate Tyrion asked me and I've no answer, so I thought maybe you fellas on the forum could help...

..."Where do whores go?"

Braavos. It is also known. 

Edited by Lost Melnibonean

On 9/17/2020 at 7:50 AM, Lady_Qohor said:

I can understand why the Stokeworths want to live at court but why do Robert (and then the Lannisters) let them. What does the Royal Family get out of housing and feeding a minor noble family of the Crownlands? They're can't just be an open invitation to all lords (or even all Crownland lords) to come and stay in the Red Keep for as long as they want - if there was the palace would be swamped with nobles jockeying for favours and influence.

I don’t think it’s uncommon for families to hang around court, and I never got the impression the Stokeworths were particularly egregious in doing so. Do we know for sure they actually lived at court and had done so for much more than the short time frame of the books? 

In regards to them being allowed to - I think it might be connected to laws of hospitality. Cersei mentions Robert’s Estermont cousins staying at court for half a year after their marriage and him “repaying the visit,” suggesting to me a sort of lighthearted acknowledgement of them taking advantage of polite hospitality.

Additionally, the Stokeworths don’t strike me as particularly cheeky guests. Lady Tanda is said to host feasts, both for prospective husbands for Lollys and just for social purposes. I assume she is paying for these feasts and isn’t just at the Red Keep picking through the larders.
As mentioned already, nor are they particularly minor locally - the Stokeworth and Rosby lands are vital for the supply of King’s Landing.

Another thought I just had - we know some individuals have manses in King’s Landing and it could also be possible, although I can’t recall an example of it happening, for a noble family to lease out rooms in the Red Keep.