Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

13 hours ago, SFDanny said:

He should go to the Happy Port in Braavos. It's near the Ragman's harbor, and is just across from the Mummer's Ship. Ask for the Sailor's Wife or her daughter Lanna. Your mate might not make it out alive, but he will have his question answered.

@SFDanny

12 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Braavos. It is also known. 

@Lost Melnibonean,

Sorry. I'll tell you why I don't think so. Let's see your objections.

Spoiler

I have good reason to believe that The Sailor's wife in Braavos is not Tysha like some believe and actually mother to Gerion Lannister's hitherto second unknown baseborn daughter, Lanna.

• Tysha was not a whore
  • Tyrion was never a sailor,while Gerion was.
  • Tysha was just a crofter's daughter. Once she was....sent from Tyrion, she would have either commited suicide,married some fat innkeep and had lotsof kids,or plotted revenge. Why would she go to a strange and unknown place like Braavos when the world she knew was only the westerlands?
  • The Sailor's wife's daughter has golden hair and is named Lanna (feminine form of Lann ,origin of Lannister) You may argue that it could be Tyrion who's the father, but would Tysha want to keep a name that would remind her of that gruesome past? Moreover I believe that Tyrion's father is Aerys, as Tyrion's different hair color like Valyrians rather than Lannister gold,mismatched eyes,dwarfism and Tywin's telling him that he was no son of his are certain small proofs....but that is a different thread. So it has to be Gerion.
  • Lanna is 14 while Joy Hill is 12 running(born in 288 A.C.) so some may argue that Gerion sailed for Valyria only in 291 AC. how could he have fathered Lanna before/I say why not? he was a sailor before and my above theory also supports that Braavos is where Gerion went to become a FM in the HOBAW. And maybe entrusted BRIGHTROAR  to his whore wife and daughter.
  • Penny and Groat stayed at Braavos in a whorehouse before the Purple wedding(courtesy LITTLEFINGER) it could even be with Sailor's wife and Lanna. Are these characters players in Littlefinger's game? or is Jaqen/gerion involved? Or Varys and Illyrio too involved(remember how penny and co got the dragon eggs in braavos from the sealord for the eunuch spider and lord cheese?)

This is more of a thought but when prince Oberyn comes to King's Landing his entourage includes various members of several different Dornish houses. Why bring such a ''star-studded'' entourage? After all he was just coming to take his brother's place in the small council...or were they coming to attend Joffrey's wedding too?

"As for Lord Rickard, the steel of his breastplate turned cherry-red before the end, and his goldmelted off his spurs and dripped down into the fire.” - Jamie to cat

Been bugging me for the longest time. I thought tourney champion’s wore gold spurs? Could have sworn there was someone or something to do with gold spurs. 
    My small question is who is known to wear golden spurs? Are gold spurs an award like silver spurs or do they have anything to do with office, title, and tournaments? 

Edited by Eliscat

5 hours ago, Eliscat said:

"As for Lord Rickard, the steel of his breastplate turned cherry-red before the end, and his goldmelted off his spurs and dripped down into the fire.” - Jamie to cat

Been bugging me for the longest time. I thought tourney champion’s wore gold spurs? Could have sworn there was someone or something to do with gold spurs. 
    My small question is who is known to wear golden spurs? Are gold spurs an award like silver spurs or do they have anything to do with office, title, and tournaments? 

Knights usually wear gilded spurs. 

Sansa mentions gilded spurs at Joff's tourney (Sansa I, ACoK). Joff is given silver spurs by Addam Marbrand, the silver is likely because Joff is not a knight yet. Ser Arys Oakheart wears golden spurs in the Queenmaker, AFfC 21.

And Daario Naharis is only a sellsword, not fit to buckle on the golden spurs of even a landed knight. (Dany VII, ADwD 43)

He did not wait for Lord Bracken to reply but touched Honor lightly with his golden spurs and trotted off. (Jaime I, ADwD 48)

I will knight them myself when they are worthy, and give them each a horse and golden spurs. (The Queensguard, ADwD 55)

Rickard Stark's mother was a Locke of Oldcastle. The two Lockes we have in the story, Ser Mallador with the NW and Ser Donnem who dies at the Red Wedding were both knights. You can draw your own conclusion from this, although people seem to resist the possibility that Rickard Stark might have been a knight in his own right.

2 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Knights usually wear gilded spurs. 

Sansa mentions gilded spurs at Joff's tourney (Sansa I, ACoK). Joff is given silver spurs by Addam Marbrand, the silver is likely because Joff is not a knight yet. Ser Arys Oakheart wears golden spurs in the Queenmaker, AFfC 21.

And Daario Naharis is only a sellsword, not fit to buckle on the golden spurs of even a landed knight. (Dany VII, ADwD 43)

He did not wait for Lord Bracken to reply but touched Honor lightly with his golden spurs and trotted off. (Jaime I, ADwD 48)

I will knight them myself when they are worthy, and give them each a horse and golden spurs. (The Queensguard, ADwD 55)

Rickard Stark's mother was a Locke of Oldcastle. The two Lockes we have in the story, Ser Mallador with the NW and Ser Donnem who dies at the Red Wedding were both knights. You can draw your own conclusion from this, although people seem to resist the possibility that Rickard Stark might have been a knight in his own right.

Great examples given.  I never noticed the knights in House Locke before.

Another smaller detail is the fact that Branda Stark (Rickard's maternal aunt; his mother Lyarra's sister) married into House Rogers, a house from the Stormlands.  It's possible that men from that house also influenced Lyarra and/or Rickard.

13 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Great examples given.  I never noticed the knights in House Locke before.

Another smaller detail is the fact that Branda Stark (Rickard's maternal aunt; his mother Lyarra's sister) married into House Rogers, a house from the Stormlands.  It's possible that men from that house also influenced Lyarra and/or Rickard.

He also had an aunt Jocelyn that married a Royce, and three cousins through her that married Vale lordlings. I doubt Rickard was an actual knight, but he was probably a northern equivalent, and was IMO definitely positively disposed towards southern cultures and traditions.

Edited by Bael's Bastard

I'm looking for a passage in a search of ice and fire where Ghost is running along the Wall chased by the moon? where Ghost describes the Wall and the sky from a direwolves perspective.  Does anyone remember that?  I can't find it, I'm not using the right search words or something. 

28 minutes ago, LynnS said:

I'm looking for a passage in a search of ice and fire where Ghost is running along the Wall chased by the moon? where Ghost describes the Wall and the sky from a direwolves perspective.  Does anyone remember that?  I can't find it, I'm not using the right search words or something. 

Is it this one?

ADwD, Jon I

“The white wolf raced through a black wood, beneath a pale cliff as tall as the sky. The moon ran with him, slipping through a tangle of bare branches overhead, across the starry sky.
“Snow,” the moon murmured. The wolf made no answer. Snow crunched beneath his paws. The wind sighed through the trees.
Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat’s long horn had raked him. In another place, his little sister lifted her head to sing to the moon, and a hundred small grey cousins broke off their hunt to sing with her. The hills were warmer where they were, and full of food. Many a night his sister’s pack gorged on the flesh of sheep and cows and horses, the prey of men, and sometimes even on the flesh of man himself.”

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is it this one?

ADwD, Jon I

“The white wolf raced through a black wood, beneath a pale cliff as tall as the sky. The moon ran with him, slipping through a tangle of bare branches overhead, across the starry sky.
“Snow,” the moon murmured. The wolf made no answer. Snow crunched beneath his paws. The wind sighed through the trees.
Far off, he could hear his packmates calling to him, like to like. They were hunting too. A wild rain lashed down upon his black brother as he tore at the flesh of an enormous goat, washing the blood from his side where the goat’s long horn had raked him. In another place, his little sister lifted her head to sing to the moon, and a hundred small grey cousins broke off their hunt to sing with her. The hills were warmer where they were, and full of food. Many a night his sister’s pack gorged on the flesh of sheep and cows and horses, the prey of men, and sometimes even on the flesh of man himself.”

Thank you for finding it.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Eliscat said:

Are gold spurs an award like silver spurs or do they have anything to do with office, title, and tournaments? 

The only time silver spurs are mentioned, they are given as a gift, not an award. Joffery was king, but he wasn't a knight, so for his wedding he received

silver spurs from Ser Addam Marbrand

(ASoS Ch59 Sansa IV)

This, from his Master of Arms, who is a knight, who has it in his power to make Joffrey a knight, might almost amount to a rebuke. On the other hand, it is the closest thing to gold spurs that could decently be given as a gift, and holds the promise that, if he just spent a bit more time in the training yard, Joffrey might easily earn his golden spurs. 

As gift or award, spurs are an ambiguous symbol.They can be used to urge a warhorse into the frey, or to flee in terror. They are terribly cruel to horses, but even gentle little Tommen sinks spurs into his pony without a second thought. Even Bran. Even Dany spurs her beloved silver. 

Dontos was stripped of his golden spurs by Joffrey. So a king can do that, even if he can't make a knight and has no (golden) spurs himself.

Small Questions from Feast. 

And Lord Belmore, Young Lord Hunter, Horton Redfort. They will bring Strong Sam Stone, the Tollets, the Shetts, the Coldwater, some Corbrays. 

Petyr Baelish speaking to Nestor Royce about their opponents/opposition. 

Who is this Strong Sam Stone? whose bastard? 

Had it from one of Beric's bunch. The lightning lord is looking for her too. He's sent his men up and down the Trident, sniffing after her. We chanced on three of them after Harrenhal, and winkled the tale from one of them before he died. 

Timeon to Brienne before she kills the three escapees. About Arya (but Brienne thinks it's Sansa). 

Who are the three from BwB? Anyone we know? 

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

The Realm had not had a Lord Confessor since the reign of the second Daeron 

(Jaime calling Ilyn Payne to ride with him to Harrenhal and Riverrun) 

Why? 

And Rennifer Longwaters claims to have a drop or two of dragon blood in him. From who? Any consequences? 

Elaena Targaryen and Alyn Velaryon. I don't think it will have any sort of consequence. I think it's just part of the worldbuilding.

Questions about the BwB, it's probably members of no consequence. 

We don't know whose son Strong Sam Stone is. All we know is that he is the master-at-arms at Runestone.

15 hours ago, Walda said:

The only time silver spurs are mentioned, they are given as a gift, not an award. Joffery was king, but he wasn't a knight, so for his wedding he received

(ASoS Ch59 Sansa IV)

This, from his Master of Arms, who is a knight, who has it in his power to make Joffrey a knight, might almost amount to a rebuke. On the other hand, it is the closest thing to gold spurs that could decently be given as a gift, and holds the promise that, if he just spent a bit more time in the training yard, Joffrey might easily earn his golden spurs. 

As gift or award, spurs are an ambiguous symbol.They can be used to urge a warhorse into the frey, or to flee in terror. They are terribly cruel to horses, but even gentle little Tommen sinks spurs into his pony without a second thought. Even Bran. Even Dany spurs her beloved silver. 

Dontos was stripped of his golden spurs by Joffrey. So a king can do that, even if he can't make a knight and has no (golden) spurs himself.

Thank you :D. I hadn’t considered silver as silver in a Maesters chain. Healing if I am correct. Maybe Marbrand felt bad for Joffs horse. Again ty

14 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Elaena Targaryen and Alyn Velaryon. I don't think it will have any sort of consequence. I think it's just part of the worldbuilding

So Rennifer is like Brown Ben Plumm. Just worldbuilding. ok

Questions about the BwB, it's probably members of no consequence. 

The lazy me wants to accept this, but the inquisitive me thinks to dig further. Thanks anyway

We don't know whose son Strong Sam Stone is. All we know is that he is the master-at-arms at Runestone

hmmm....

AND Y NO LORD CONFESSOR?

Edited by TheLastWolf

1 hour ago, TheLastWolf said:

AND Y NO LORD CONFESSOR?

You know what lord confessors do? Their job is to question (torture) prisoners, and they have a bloody history of torturing and killing innocents. I can only imagine what a psychopathic scumbag Aegon's IV lord confessor must have been. So it is not surprising that a king they called the Good made an end to that.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

You know what lord confessors do? Their job is to question (torture) prisoners, and they have a bloody history of torturing and killing innocents. I can only imagine what a psychopathic scumbag Aegon's IV lord confessor must have been. So it is not surprising that a king they called the Good made an end to that.

Can't imagine why Aerys (Mad as a hatter) didn't reinstate it