Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

18 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

(Hint: I think Saan was bribed by Illyrio.)

It's likely that Saan is an agent of Blackfyres, and thus he is working for Varys and Illyrio. Salla's ancestor, also a Saan, was one of Ninepenny Kings that supported Maelys the Monstrous during the Fifth Rebellion of Blackfyres. So it's likely that Saan-family are still loyal to Blackfyres same as Golden Company. Which doesn't mean that Salla is supporting them for free, it's likely that they do pay him, as a part of their agreement.

1. Did Ironborn use that name b4 they started to use iron/steel armor and weapons?

2.Or did they use bronze armors and weapons like Firstmen?

3. Old myths talk about terrible soul eating  black weapons used by ancient Ironborn raiders. Did those weapons really exist? 

4. When Ironborn started to use steel?

1 hour ago, TedBear said:

Is Dany's mare, The Silver, based on the Akhal Teke horses? It is interesting to have the word Khal in the name, also this breed of horses has a natural metallic sheen in the coat.

That is a hard question to answer. It is certainly possible, but I doubt it. I suspect it's just a really nice looking horse. I doubt GRRM thinks about every small corner of his story in such detail. Or maybe he does stress about such things, and every name and description is of critical importance (and adds to the overall story), and that is why he is taking so long to put out The Winds of Winter.

12 hours ago, Brandon Snow was right said:

Since Edmure allowed his smallfolk to take shelter in Riverrun, do you think the Brotherhood Without Banners consider him a man of the people?

We know that his father had tendency to punish any lord who disagreed with him by raiding villages those lordlings owned and so hurting smallfolk living in those places. So there is a chance that some members of BWB will hate all Tullys.

4 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I don't think it matters since Edmure's sister is now the leader of the BwB.

I am almost sure that BwB is not united under 1 leader anymore. But that movement has become many groups each doing their own things and so lady SH might be only one of many leaders. What another groups of old movement think about either lady SH or Tullys is unknown.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:46 PM, Isobel Harper said:

I realize I've been assuming something that might not be true.

Are the ships Goodheart and Elephant Salladhor Saan's ships?

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Elephant_(ship)

https://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Goodheart

They are never identified as such.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, Isobel Harper said:

"How is it you come by a Pentoshi ship?" asked Davos. "Have you gone pirate again, my lord?" He set his empty cup aside.

"Vile calumny. Who has suffered more from pirates than Salladhor Saan? I ask only what is due me. Much gold is owed, oh yes, but I am not without reason, so in place of coin I have taken a handsome parchment, very crisp. It bears the name and seal of Lord Alester Florent, the Hand of the King. I am made Lord of Blackwater Bay, and no vessel may be crossing my lordly waters without my lordly leave, no. And when these outlaws are trying to steal past me in the night to avoid my lawful duties and customs, why, they are no better than smugglers, so I am well within my rights to seize them." 

Any evidence that Salladhor Saan (or anyone else) is extracting fees or taxes from ships entering or exiting Blackwater Bay?  If I remember correctly, this never comes up again.  

(Hint: I think Saan was bribed by Illyrio.)

Bumping, to confirm that Saan extracts no payments from other ships.

Question about Lancel Lannister: it's mentioned that he shows little interest in his new wife Amerei Frey, due to his newfound piety and her licentious reputation. However, is it also because she has a passing resemblance to Cersei (blonde hair, buxom figure), whom Lancel has committed many of his sins with?

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Question about Lancel Lannister: it's mentioned that he shows little interest in his new wife Amerei Frey, due to his newfound piety and her licentious reputation. However, is it also because she has a passing resemblance to Cersei (blonde hair, buxom figure), whom Lancel has committed many of his sins with?

Or maybe it is due to what the text says, and what you refer to above? Sometimes there is no need to make the text mean some deeper thing, and it simply means what it says.

Edited by Travis

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Or maybe it is due to what the text says, and what you refer to above? Sometimes there is no need to make the text mean some deeper thing, and it simply means what it says.

If that were the case there wouldn't be R+L=J.

Edited by Angel Eyes

17 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

maybe, but there's, IMHO, a more fun possibility: one thing I found interesting about Lancel is that he's been getting visions, yet we know in ASOIAF people can send visions, Quaithe, the Three Eyed Crow, Marwyn, and maybe even Euron. Lancel's visions have the result of him rejecting his land and testifying against Cersei to the High Sparrow, if the visions made him do this, the person who send them doesn't seem to like House Lannister

A series of Small Qs...

AFFC Arys

"I never had the honor to know Prince Lewyn," Ser Arys said, "but all agree that he was a great knight."

"A great knight with a paramour. She is an old woman now, but she was a rare beauty in her youth, men say."

Prince Lewyn? That tale Ser Arys had not heard. It shocked him. Terrence Toyne's treason and the deceits of Lucamore the Lusty were recorded in the White Book, but there was no hint of a woman on Prince Lewyn's page.

Who was and still is Prince Lewyn's (of the KG) paramour? Any secret kids?

I did, and meant it too. But I am weak, else I would not be here now. He could not tell her that; she was the sort of woman who despised weakness, he could sense that. She has more of her uncle in her than her father. He turned away and found his striped silk undertunic on a chair. She had ripped the fabric to the navel when she pulled it down over his arms. "This is ruined," he complained. "How can I wear it now?"

Crackpot alert

What if Oberyn was Arianne's father and Doran only to {Quentyn] and Trystane?

16 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

A series of Small Qs...

The last hopefully...

Brienne from Feast(3)

She had gotten his story out of him in fits and starts on the road from Duskendale. His was a lesser branch of House Payne, an impoverished offshoot sprouted from the loins of a younger son. His father had spent his life squiring for richer cousins and had sired Podrick upon a chandler's daughter he'd wed before going off to die in the Greyjoy Rebellion. His mother had abandoned him with one of those cousins when he was four, so she could run after a wandering singer who had put another baby in her belly. Podrick did not remember what she looked like. Ser Cedric Payne had been the nearest thing to a parent the boy had ever known, though from his stammered stories it seemed to Brienne that cousin Cedric had treated Podrick more like a servant than a son. When Casterly Rock called its banners, the knight had taken him along to tend his horse and clean his mail. Then Ser Cedric had been slain in the riverlands whilst fighting in Lord Tywin's host.

Could it be Tom 'o' Sevenstreams? Is the mommy still alive? Was the kid born? If so Male or female or twins?

Besides its interesting as Pod is with the BwB, Tom's unit.

Edited by TheLastWolf
Personal tinfoil crackpot added link