Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

On 12/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure my understanding was correct. Thanks for the reply. There's also a line in the Mystery Knight where Daemon wears a purple doublet to bring out the purple in his eyes. 

You don't even have to go all that far back in the story to encounter two other characters with eyes that take on the color of the color they dye their hair in.

Interesting! I hadn't realised this came up so often. It's not even real - fashion experts say don't use the same colour to enhance your eyes, which makes sense because Dany's 'violet' eyes couldn't compete with a whole dress of deep purple. My guess is it's grrm's way of saying what's on the outside is also on the inside - Dany puts on a new dress and a new identity with it.

22 hours ago, Springwatch said:

Interesting! I hadn't realised this came up so often. It's not even real - fashion experts say don't use the same colour to enhance your eyes, which makes sense because Dany's 'violet' eyes couldn't compete with a whole dress of deep purple. My guess is it's grrm's way of saying what's on the outside is also on the inside - Dany puts on a new dress and a new identity with it.

Remember Jason Bourne from Robert Ludlum. Same eye color shifting (grey to green to turquoise blue) depending on hair color (dye). No contact lenses. 

31 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

Remember Jason Bourne from Robert Ludlum. Same eye color shifting (grey to green to turquoise blue) depending on hair color (dye). No contact lenses. 

I found a still from the films showing his contact lens case, but obviously the books can make more of the effect of hair colour - it's a creative choice why not. I seem to remember people once did genuinely think blue eyes were enhanced by blue, which is maybe a case of seeing what you expect to see; but googling eye make-up for blue eyes convinces me that like does not enhance like.

Right, if it's not explicit in the published books, it's subject to change. In the case of the Daynes, we had a seven-pointed star originally, and when he decided to tie that to the Poor Fellows and houses with some sort of specific association with them, George directed use to add an eighth point to it to distinguish it. So as you see it is as he intended it to appear just prior to ASoS being completed.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Crona said:

Does anyone know when Rhaegar presented Rhaenys, was it after Elia’s 6 months bed rest or right after Rhaenys was born?

I don't think it's made clear. Since Rhaegar and Elia wed in early 280, the presentation seems likely to have occurred between the last few months of 280 and first few months of 281. The fact that only Rhaegar is mentioned could indicate he went to make the presentation without Elia, or could indicate nothing at all.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Crona said:

Does anyone know when Rhaegar presented Rhaenys, was it after Elia’s 6 months bed rest or right after Rhaenys was born?

I think it was 6 months after Rhaenys' birth, because it seems that Aegon was conceived at King's Landing in early 281. Rhaegar and Elia married in early 280, Rhaenys was born in late 280. If her parents went to King's Landing 6 months after her birth, to present her to the King, then that's also when they conceived Aegon, while they were at KL. Aegon was born either in very late 281 or very early 282, thus he was conceived in early 281 (Elia was heavily pregnant during Harrenhal's tournament, that took place close to the end of 281).

My estimates is that Aegon was conceived in April 281 (born in December 281 or January 282), Rhaenys was born in October 280, and the Wedding was in January 280.

Does anyone have a clue about the point of Quentyn's story?
We've had a good part of the 4th book happening in Dorne, with the big reveal that Doran Martell actually had a plan to get back at Tywin. This was one of my favourite arcs in the books. But as far as I can see, in the end, only 3 things bear on the rest of the story:

- Myrcella's lost ear, and as she seems intent on covering the dornishmen, it should be of little importance to the rest of the story

- Ser Arys Oakheart's death, which in important enough because it frees a white cloack for Ser Robert Strong, but this could have happened in a lot of different ways, GRRM didn't need a dozen chapters just to kill a knight of the king's guard

- Quentyn's mission. At the end of AFFC, this seemed like the main consequence of the entire dornish arc. Except, well, this arc litterally goes up in flames in ADWD. In the end, we have a dead prince, but he wasn't going to inherit Dorne anyway, we got Ser Gerris Drinkwater and Ser Archibald Yronwood locked in a prison in Mereen, they probably won't accomplish much there, and Prince Doran, waiting. Ok, he sent several of the Sandsnakes in KL but this seems to be part of the same plan that requires Quentyn to come back with a dragon.

So what should we expect next? Have I missed something?

The Martells are really unlucky that Viserys died, because from what we see through Arys' (and Areo's) POV, it seems Viserys would have taken to Arianne way quicker than Dany took to Quentyn

7 hours ago, Megorova said:

I think it was 6 months after Rhaenys' birth, because it seems that Aegon was conceived at King's Landing in early 281. Rhaegar and Elia married in early 280, Rhaenys was born in late 280. If her parents went to King's Landing 6 months after her birth, to present her to the King, then that's also when they conceived Aegon, while they were at KL. Aegon was born either in very late 281 or very early 282, thus he was conceived in early 281 (Elia was heavily pregnant during Harrenhal's tournament, that took place close to the end of 281).

My estimates is that Aegon was conceived in April 281 (born in December 281 or January 282), Rhaenys was born in October 280, and the Wedding was in January 280.

I agree that it seems Rhaenys was presented after 6 months with both parents in KL to conceive Aegon. However I do find it odd that it says Rhaegar presented Rhaenys and not the both of them. Doesn’t seem like Rhaegar was present in the Kingswood brotherhood incident either.  It’s actually kinda hard to pinpoint Elia’s location during the time of Aegon’s conception. 

12 hours ago, Fflow said:

Does anyone have a clue about the point of Quentyn's story?
We've had a good part of the 4th book happening in Dorne, with the big reveal that Doran Martell actually had a plan to get back at Tywin. This was one of my favourite arcs in the books. But as far as I can see, in the end, only 3 things bear on the rest of the story:

- Myrcella's lost ear, and as she seems intent on covering the dornishmen, it should be of little importance to the rest of the story

- Ser Arys Oakheart's death, which in important enough because it frees a white cloack for Ser Robert Strong, but this could have happened in a lot of different ways, GRRM didn't need a dozen chapters just to kill a knight of the king's guard

- Quentyn's mission. At the end of AFFC, this seemed like the main consequence of the entire dornish arc. Except, well, this arc litterally goes up in flames in ADWD. In the end, we have a dead prince, but he wasn't going to inherit Dorne anyway, we got Ser Gerris Drinkwater and Ser Archibald Yronwood locked in a prison in Mereen, they probably won't accomplish much there, and Prince Doran, waiting. Ok, he sent several of the Sandsnakes in KL but this seems to be part of the same plan that requires Quentyn to come back with a dragon.

So what should we expect next? Have I missed something?

The Martells are really unlucky that Viserys died, because from what we see through Arys' (and Areo's) POV, it seems Viserys would have taken to Arianne way quicker than Dany took to Quentyn

Many people think he didn't die, so that might be it, tho I don't necessarily buy it.

Another thing might be to cause resentment/mistrust between Dany and the Martells. 

Freeing the dragons is an important consequence.

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

Many people think he didn't die, so that might be it, tho I don't necessarily buy it.

As I recall, it was pretty clear. I'm not quite there yen on my last re-read but I'll keep this in mind

Freeing the dragons is an important consequence.

Oh, that happened too.. Ok, but this could just have happened when Hizdar went to kill them

Another thing might be to cause resentment/mistrust between Dany and the Martells.

Ok, yes. But I expected something bigger in the grand scale of things. But yeah, I guess Dorne not raising it's armies for her would be a big deal, but we're not quite there yet

Edited by Fflow