Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

18 minutes ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

When Elissa Farman hired people for her voyage in Oldtown, it says that she succeeded in finding a crew because she had gold at the vaults of the Iron Bank. So she must have had some proof about that.

Agreed. She had a promissory note or some similar instrument from the Iron Bank, and was able to exchange it for gold in Oldtown with either some agent of the Iron Bank stationed there or with some sufficiently wealthy merchant or noble who was willing to purchase the note off of her.

9 hours ago, Loose Bolt said:

What kind of weather Dorne has during winters? Or can Dorne produce food during those?

After all if Martells can feed their people during long winters unlike another kingdoms they should be relatively stronger than another houses during and after long winters.

I think winter barely reaches Dorne, after all, their main export (that we know off) is lemons, which would die in an actual winter.

If that's the case then it balances out, since during summer Dorne produces little.

21 minutes ago, Jay21 said:

wierwoods appear to be native to Westeros. do we get any conformation of that or examples of weirwoods outside of Westeros? looked but never found.

I can't give you any quote, nor am I sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that people eventually tried to grow weirwoods in Essos, but the seeds didn't grow at all.

7 minutes ago, Daeron the Daring said:

I can't give you any quote, nor am I sure about this, but I think I read somewhere that people eventually tried to grow weirwoods in Essos, but the seeds didn't grow at all.

interesting. I'm going to try and hunt that down. question was prompted by all of the weirwood in the house of black and white. just trying to get a feel for how strange that is or isn't before I start reading far too much into it.

thanks 

1 hour ago, Loose Bolt said:

Are there any weirwoods in Dorne? After all the children called Dorne as Empty Land. So Red Mountains might be southern limit of growing area of those woods.

come to think of it I have no recollection of Arianne or Quentyn ever reminiscing about a scene in a godswood at any of their homes. you could be on to something. 

• 3 weeks later...

Could it be that Arya in Arya XII, ASOS travelled back in time when she pulled her mother out of the river as Nymeria? Is there maybe already a  discussion about this? (apparently, my search yielded no results...)

Or how do others here interpret the inconsistencies between Arya and Nymeria in travel distance (how do they make it from the twins to the foothills of the mountains of the moon -where she has the dream- in only 3 days?), weather (clear vs gray skies), and colors (Nymeria describes a gray sky, green river, and pink cape, even though it should be too dark to see such colors)?

6 hours ago, OneFretfulTrout said:

Could it be that Arya in Arya XII, ASOS travelled back in time when she pulled her mother out of the river as Nymeria? Is there maybe already a  discussion about this? (apparently, my search yielded no results...)

Or how do others here interpret the inconsistencies between Arya and Nymeria in travel distance (how do they make it from the twins to the foothills of the mountains of the moon -where she has the dream- in only 3 days?), weather (clear vs gray skies), and colors (Nymeria describes a gray sky, green river, and pink cape, even though it should be too dark to see such colors)?

I'm not sure I understand what you think the problem is.

8 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

I'm not sure I understand what you think the problem is.

S/he meant that when Arya went sleeping, it was fully dark, the night already arrived, but in her dream as Nymeria it was only dusk, and the night was only about to come. At least that's what I got, and that he doesn't understand if that's intentional because of the distance between the two (which isn't really enough for such a thing to happen, altough Nymeria was west compared to her), or George made a mistake there.

16 hours ago, OneFretfulTrout said:

I really doubt that

7 hours ago, Virgilius said:

I really doubt that

I know it sounds unlikely, but I think there is some evidence in the chapter to support this idea:

First of all, the first pages of the chapter are filled with phrases such as: "Some mornings...", "Sometimes...", "Those were the nights...", "One day...", and so on.

Then there are sentences such as these: "They rode every day (...), avoiding towns and villages (...)", or "Aside from that one time, they hardly talked at all. Whole days passed when neither of them said anything.",

Here I was already wondering if the events in the chapter all happen a chronological order and if these passages describe the time before the discovery of Cat's body, or if this is a just a general description of their whole journey (because some days plus some nights seem to be more than 3 days I think).

Then they reach the foothills of the Mountains of the Moon where Arya has the dream of Cat's corpse. Considering that she needs six more days to reach Saltpans after leaving the Hound, it seems somehow unlikely that the ride from the twins to the mountains just took 3 days... in particular when they had to avoid main roads and villages.

Also, this is the time when Arya sees the stars and the moon for the first time again. This is a pretty important detail, since it has been raining most of the time in Cat's and Arya's last chapters. However, as she goes to sleep that night and enters Nymeria's mind, the sky that she sees is described as "grey and thick with clouds", and the river as "green and full of floating things". This is strange for two reasons I think: First, there is again a change in weather (like, why did he mention the first in the first place?). Second, if the scene takes place at night, then the sky should be black anyway, just like the river (Fevre Dream contained many descriptions of rivers by night, which is why this stood out to me in the first place). The same goes of course for the yellow and pinks cloaks of the riders that Nymeria sees afterwards. Jojen even tells us directly that all cloaks look black by night. So in sum it sounds as if this is happening during the day.

Considering all that, it seems as if Arya's and Nymeria's timelines don't run in parallel, but that several more days have passed for Arya between the twins and the dream.

Of course, all these things can be explained in other ways that do not involve time travel, but I thought it would fit nicely to Leaf's warning not to call someone back from death...

10 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

S/he meant that when Arya went sleeping, it was fully dark, the night already arrived, but in her dream as Nymeria it was only dusk, and the night was only about to come. At least that's what I got, and that he doesn't understand if that's intentional because of the distance between the two (which isn't really enough for such a thing to happen, altough Nymeria was west compared to her), or George made a mistake there.

I didn't consider that actually, I would have to check again where the pack was last seen and if Thoros specifies where exactly they found Cat...

Oh, I have a question btw for anybody who wants to answer it. Why is Jaehaerys I's granddaughter Rhaenys called Rhaenys Targaryen instead of Rhaenys Velaryon? It seems that since the marriage was consummated, they had two children (Laenor and Laena) and how Catelyn Tully, for example, became Catelyn Stark, Rhaenys should've be called Princess Rhaenys Velaryon.

1 hour ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

Oh, I have a question btw for anybody who wants to answer it. Why is Jaehaerys I's granddaughter Rhaenys called Rhaenys Targaryen instead of Rhaenys Velaryon? It seems that since the marriage was consummated, they had two children (Laenor and Laena) and how Catelyn Tully, for example, became Catelyn Stark, Rhaenys should've be called Princess Rhaenys Velaryon.

Cersei became Cersei Baratheon when she married Robert, but she is never once called that. She is always Cersei Lannister. I think it's just a choice on our author's part.