Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Robb is taller and more broad in the shoulders than Jon, and Jon might be Eddard 2.0. 

I think we get thrown for a loop because Joffrey is tall, like his father. Also, a lot from the early chapters gets retconned as GRRM fleshes out his characters.

5 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

I can’t recall if there’s any other mention of Robb’s height in the books, but it’s already confusing enough given the aforementioned examples.

Cat pays attention to Robb's height at least thrice more. AGoT Catelyn VIII.

There was ale and cheese on the table. Catelyn filled a horn, sat, sipped, and studied her son. He seemed taller than when she'd left, and the wisps of beard did make him look older. "Edmure was sixteen when he grew his first whiskers."

"I will be sixteen soon enough," Robb said.

"And you are fifteen now. Fifteen, and leading a host to battle. Can you understand why I might fear, Robb?"

ACoK, Catelyn I.

"Lannister won't die," Robb said. "No one so much as speaks to him without my warrant. He has food, water, clean straw, more comfort than he has any right to. But I won't free him, not even for Arya and Sansa."

Her son was looking down at her, Catelyn realized. Was it war that made him grow so fast, she wondered, or the crown they had put on his head? "Are you afraid to have Jaime Lannister in the field again, is that the truth of it?"

Grey Wind growled, as if he sensed Robb's anger, and Edmure Tully put a brotherly hand on Catelyn's shoulder. "Cat, don't. The boy has the right of this."

In the start of the chapter, she describes his voice.

"Rise, Ser Cleos." Her son's voice was not as icy as his father's would have been, but he did not sound a boy of fifteen either. War had made a man of him before his time. Morning light glimmered faintly against the edge of the steel across his knees.

And ASoS Catelyn II.

"Mother."

Catelyn looked up at her tall kingly son. "Your Grace, I have prayed for your safe return. I had heard you were wounded."

"I took an arrow through the arm while storming the Crag," he said. "It's healed well, though. I had the best of care."

On the preceding page...

Robb stood on the dais. He is a boy no longer, she realized with a pang. He is sixteen now, a man grown. Just look at him. War had melted all the softness from his face and left him hard and lean. He had shaved his beard away, but his auburn hair fell uncut to his shoulders. The recent rains had rusted his mail and left brown stains on the white of his cloak and surcoat. Or perhaps the stains were blood. On his head was the sword crown they had fashioned him of bronze and iron. He bears it more comfortably now. He bears it like a king.

I guess that makes me partial to a growth spurt.

We know that the Starks tend to be average or even short height, but Robb takes more after the Tully family in appearance.

I'd be interested in a source for this, if you care.

I don’t remember Hoster, Brynden, or Edmure’s heights, or even if they’re discussed, but if Robb is an indication, they must not be that tall either.

The Blackfish is tall as well, according to Cat. The same Clash chapter.

Hoster Tully, Lord of Riverrun, lay abed in his solar, with its commanding view to the east where the rivers Tumblestone and Red Fork met beyond the walls of his castle. He was sleeping when Catelyn entered, his hair and beard as white as his featherbed, his once portly frame turned small and frail by the death that grew within him.

Beside the bed, still dressed in mail hauberk and travel-stained cloak, sat her father's brother, the Blackfish. His boots were dusty and spattered with dried mud. "Does Robb know you are returned, Uncle?" Ser Brynden Tully was Robb's eyes and ears, the commander of his scouts and outriders.

"No. I came here straight from the stables, when they told me the king was holding court. His Grace will want to hear my tidings in private first, I'd think." The Blackfish was a tall, lean man, grey of hair and precise in his movements, his clean-shaven face lined and windburnt. "How is he?" he asked, and she knew he did not mean Robb.

Jaime does not explicitly remark on his height when they meet, though one might wonder about the "great knight". AFfC Jaime VI.

The brooch that fastened Ser Brynden Tully's cloak was a black fish, wrought in jet and gold. His ringmail was grim and grey. Over it he wore greaves, gorget, gauntlets, pauldron, and poleyns of blackened steel, none half so dark as the look upon his face as he waited for Jaime Lannister at the end of the drawbridge, alone atop a chestnut courser caparisoned in red and blue.

He loves me not. Tully had a craggy face, deeply lined and windburnt beneath a shock of stiff grey hair, but Jaime could still see the great knight who had once enthralled a squire with tales of the Ninepenny Kings. Honor's hooves clattered against the planks of the drawbridge. Jaime had thought long and hard about whether to wear his gold armor or his white to this meeting; in the end, he'd chosen a leather jack and a crimson cloak.

He drew up a yard from Ser Brynden, and inclined his head to the older man. "Kingslayer," said Tully.

That he would make that name the first word from his mouth spoke volumes, but Jaime was resolved to keep his temper. "Blackfish," he responded. "Thank you for coming."

Edmure is a head taller than his sister, which may not help a lot. ACoK Catelyn V.

"We'll provide you with fresh mounts and provisions," her brother promised. "You'll want to refresh yourself before—"

"I'll want to stay," Catelyn said, dismounting. She had no intention of leaving Riverrun and her dying father to pick Robb's wife for him. Robb wants me safe, I cannot fault him for that, but his pretext is growing threadbare. "Boy," she called, and an urchin from the stables ran out to take the reins of her horse.

Edmure swung down from his saddle. He was a head taller than she was, but he would always be her little brother. "Cat," he said unhappily, "Lord Tywin is coming—"

"He is making for the west, to defend his own lands. If we close our gates and shelter behind the walls, we can watch him pass with safety."

Edited by TsarGrey

14 hours ago, Ranivaka said:

No.  We say that it's the ten thousand, one hundred and sixth Small Questions thread, but the oldest list I've found shows six thousand and seventy-four previous threads, which suggests that this one is actually...

We both wolves find it funny, just don't know why 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

In "The Griffin Reborn" JonCon says that fifty generations of his family have sat and ruled from the Griffin's Seat. If we take a generation to mean thirty years that would mean House Connington is at least 1500 years old, correct?

The term 'generation' seems to be used rather broadly. Yandel speaks about five generations from 184 to 260 AC (including five kings) and four more generations that had to deal with the Blackfyres after the First Rebellion. So 50 generations could easily refer to the number of lords (including three brothers in a row for example).

7 hours ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

@The Wondering Wolf

That would make House Connington even younger but you could be right.

Possible. In the end we don't know that the throne is as old as the house, though. Just as '50 generation' could be a figurative way to say 'we have been here for a very long time'. But assuming fifty was an accurate number, I think 30 years per generation is too much.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

How long do you think a generation should be? Because thirty is roughly how long it would take to grow up, get married, and have children in the Middle Ages if you weren't a noble.

That's a very tricky question, because there are different generation concepts with different periods. I would take a look at the Targaryen family. 14 generations between 29 BC and 280 AC means an average of 22 years (which is interestesting because I would have assumed the length of a generation in a noble house was between 20 and 25). So if '50 generation' does not refer to the number of lords, the Griffin Throne has been in possession of the Conningtons for around 1100 years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Essos slavery is normal so I assume that one way that free companies make their money is that they sell all their captured enemies who cannot pay ransom of their own freedom to slavers.

1. Do Golden Company follow that policy or are members of GC  slavers?

2. What will GC do to any captured Westerosi?

3. If GC are slavers how that will effect to Team Blacfyre?

Small question.

Did GRRM ever host a public access show? One about translations of the Bible and other ancient works?

Late at night I would occasionally come across this very interesting show. It was hosted by a man who looked like GRRM. I never new the name of the show and I can’t recall the mans name in question.

The reason I ask is because I just learned a few months ago GRRM wrote the outer limits episode Sandkings. Based off a novella he had written. I have yet to read it as the copy’s are expensive.

As a young 16 year old who loved the twilight zone and outer limits, I still remember fondly the 1am viewing of the Sandkings. That one episode had made a lasting impression on me. 

It got me thinking. The Outer limits and beauty and the beast television show, both worked on by GRRM. Watching B&B I would sit my 8 year old butt on my mom’s lap and fear/admire the beast! Envious of his cape and dwellings.

I have loved GRRM and his works before I ever knew his name. Is there anything else he has done or had a “hand”in that I’m unaware of?

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

23 hours ago, Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe said:

The reason I ask is because I just learned a few months ago GRRM wrote the outer limits episode Sandkings. Based off a novella he had written. I have yet to read it as the copy’s are expensive.

[PDF] Sandkings Book by George R.R. Martin (1981) Read Online or Free Downlaod (booksvooks.com)

I absolutely LOVE Sandkings.