Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I mean there have to be some. Don't most rivers have their source in mountains?

Alyssa's Tears is all we know about anything water related in the Vale, shouldn't it continue as a river and drain somewhere into the Narrow Sea. No maps or anything set in Westeros explain. Very crucial if you think of this.

EDIT

Forgot it never reaches the bottom, Angel falls heh

Edited by TheLastWolf

12 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

When Tyrion and Bronn meet the mountain clans, it says that their horses took water from a mountain stream.

If the Vale is as fertile as everyone claims, there needs to be more than streams to irrigate that much. But yeah, thanks for the water discovery, totally forgot AGoT events in this context.

The relationship between the Dothraki and the Lhazareen. They are said to look quite similar to the Dothraki, but there are some differences. They have similar sounding gods, the Great Stallion and the Great Shepard, one is an animal while the other is a human. I wonder if they were originally part of the same group of people but one part decided to settle while the other continued with the nomadic lifestyle.

On 9/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, Craving Peaches said:

The relationship between the Dothraki and the Lhazareen. They are said to look quite similar to the Dothraki, but there are some differences. They have similar sounding gods, the Great Stallion and the Great Shepard, one is an animal while the other is a human. I wonder if they were originally part of the same group of people but one part decided to settle while the other continued with the nomadic lifestyle.

Perhaps they were reversed? Like during the days of the Empire the sheep people shepard the nomads into slavery, which the Valaryins used in great numbers. After the fall of the empire maybe the Dothraki took their revenge and sold them to the Ghiscari

How can we get GRRM nominated as a Honorary Member of the Royal Society ?

I know they only allow entrance of the world’s greatest scientists but maybe as an honorary member he could be included?

Honorary Fellowship is intended for those who have given distinguished service to the cause of science, or who have brought great benefits to science, but who do not have the scientific achievements of the kind required of those who could be elected as Fellows or Foreign Members. Honorary Fellows include Bill Bryson and Melvyn Bragg.

Prior to 1996 there were no Honorary Fellows, but there was a way to be elected to the Fellowship under what were known as 'Statute 12 arrangements'.

Unfortunately literary works currently do not fit their requirements, but it should! There have been a few scientific studies of GRRMs work. One of which determined the maximum number of characters the human brain can manage and how different regions of the brain interact, relate, and store said information.
     ( If that’s the maximum one can read than that’s the maximum one should write. Proof of max effort from a writer. )

The society was founded as a fellowship of Natural Philosophy with the motto of “Nullius in verba” .

I say his work embodies that original spirit of the society as well  as being scientifically artistic and philosophical,…naturally. :) 

Lose the Ravens Call the Banners 

Can we do a petition? It would be an opportunity for publicity and funding for the Royal Society.

Edited by Fool Stands On Giant’s Toe

On 9/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, Craving Peaches said:

They probably were part of the same group, divided on account of an ancient feud. According to Miiri Maz Duur, all men are one flock, suggesting the Lhazareen are united amongst themselves. Not so with the Dothraki whose various khalasaars war against each other. But the Dothraki do have the prophecy of the Stallion who Mounts the World which forsees a great kahl coming to unite them. We can only speculate, but perhaps the feud was initiated when one section of  their ancient society got involved in blood magic, using it to harm a member of the faction that then broke away (as demonstrated by Miiri) to become the Dothraki. 
Histories claim the Valyrians were originally a civilization of humble shepherds. Perhaps also a split-off from the lamb people who added fire magic to their repetoire of bloodmagic?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2022 at 5:53 AM, TheLastWolf said:

This made me ask why are there no rivers in the apparently fertile Vale of Arryn.

But the rivers are mentioned in the description of the Vale: "It stretched before them to the misty east, a tranquil land of rich black soil, wide slow-moving rivers, and hundreds of small lakes...". Some rivers can be seen on the map, I think.

2 hours ago, Verame said:

But the rivers are mentioned in the description of the Vale: "It stretched before them to the misty east, a tranquil land of rich black soil, wide slow-moving rivers, and hundreds of small lakes...". Some rivers can be seen on the map, I think.

None named conspicuously though 

Isn't it an insult from Ned to have his bastard son named Jon, after his childhood guardian and dearly loved father figure, Jon Arryn? That just occured to me. Even a normal decent guy could take that as an insult.

I also realised the symbolism in this, since Jon Arryn isn't his actual father (despite how Ned feels about him), and he's not the actual father of Jon. Bastard or otherwise, this is a good bit from Jon's perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

@RanYou've said different things about whether Alysanne was the daughter of Maegor in the first full Targaryen tree. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtLHMFBUGw 18/11/2017 - yes

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/34958-the-asoiaf-wiki-thread/page/92/#comment-8081203 25/11/2017 - no

https://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/148863-the-book-of-swords-the-sons-of-the-dragon-spoilers/page/34/#comment-8229237 29/8/2018 - yes

Which one is correct? I suppose the 2nd one?