Small Questions v. 10106

Rhaenys_Targaryen

21 minutes ago, Corvo the Crow said:

LF’s brothel. They look like working for him and feed him bits but are actually Varys’ and spy on LF as well.

Doubt that

he has a series of brothels and their pimps who would recruit as normal  it would take a massive elaborate set up with each former bird acting convincingly like a former village whore come.to the city or a village/city girl fallen on hard times etc, theyd all need to be oscar winning actors 24/7 for their adult lives

Plus its rumoured they have no tounges 

No i feel at a certain age all thes elittle birds are either set to live in the outskirts of pentos well provided for....or are brought to a pit innthe red keep full of lil skeletons etc 

An able and courageous man, no doubt," he said carefully, "but his father is Warden of the West, Robert. In time Ser Jaime will succeed to that honor. No one man should hold both East and West.

@Ran I know this has been discussed many times before, but as I understand it, the canon explanation here is that members of the Kingsguard aren't allowed to inherit lands, but can still have formal titles?

1 hour ago, Tyrosh Lannister said:

What do the Dothraki eat? They're not allowed to farm. So they can only hunt (animals) or gather (berries and fruits from existing flora). But a Khalasar can number in the tens of thousands that is always on the move. How do they manage to scavenge enough food to feed them all?

Same as the nomads of the steppes of our world, they are constantly on the move for a reason.  They would  eat horses and other herd animals, and also milk based food like yogurt, which is a Turkic food. Lactobacillus Bulgaricus was named as such for a reason, and Bulgaria’s connection to yogurt is not through the South Slavic population today but the Turkic elite, Bulgars, who once ruled them and gave the nation it’s name. These animals would need to graze somewhere and would eat the fields bare if they stayed on the same location for long. Dothraki are really poorly done though since these hordes would be made up of smaller, seperate tribes subordinate to the khan.

Edited by Corvo the Crow

I'll look around for unanswered questions that I can answer but I had a few housekeeping type questions of which I needed answered, misunderstandings I had that I couldn't seem to find the answer for in the pages:

1. Shortly after Asha gets captured by Stannis in ADwD, she mentions Euron wouldn't care if she lived or died, but Erik Ironmaker, Euron's Castellan of Pike while Euron is away on the Sunset Sea, might care. Why would Erik Ironmaker care if Asha lived or died? He's already Castellan to Pyke without her, does he just think she's hot? 

2. Why do Wildlings like Tormund Giantsbane just seem to have an inability to be upset at Jon Snow? Jon Snow, under orders of Qhorin Halfhand, took advantage of their hospitality and immediately returned to The Night's Watch as soon as he was free of The Free Folk. Shouldn't this upset Mance, Tormund, or any of the important Wildlings far more than it does? Their interactions with Jon Snow even after all the events of ASoS are as if this stuff never happened between them. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

@Ran I've heard several times that the info in the ASOIAF app is only semi-canon. What does that mean exactly?

It means that information in it includes information straight from George... but that anything not published between the two covers of a book is still in flux and he may well decide to change his mind about something he told us. It's like the SSM, there's lots of details there that are presumptively correct but until George actually has to write about them in the books it's still possible he'll do something else than what he said about some world building or character detail.

33 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

does the champion of the melee gets a laurel for QoLaB in the tourneys or is it just the jouster? 

The tradition is that the "winner(s)" of a tournament crowns one woman as Queen of Love and Beauty, which is almost always a joust by the generic format of tourneys during the ASoIaF timeline, so it is probably not very likely in the main series. However, that was not always the case, and melees were more common in the past. There is no indication that the QoLaB tradition didn't exist before the lists became common, so melee winners likely crowned them at least in the earlier days of Westeros. In any case, there are no true rules beyond what the lord or king hosting a tourney wants, or what their appointed master of the games implements, so it depends on the tourney. (Source.)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 6:29 AM, DisloyalCrow said:

Shortly after Asha gets captured by Stannis in ADwD, she mentions Euron wouldn't care if she lived or died, but Erik Ironmaker, Euron's Castellan of Pike while Euron is away on the Sunset Sea, might care. Why would Erik Ironmaker care if Asha lived or died? He's already Castellan to Pyke without her, does he just think she's hot? 

I think there are a lot of reasons Erik Ironmaker would be proud of having Asha as his wife. She’s King Balon’s only daughter, popular, beautiful, and a Greyjoy is surely a great match for the head of a house which is presumably not among the Iron Islands’ most prominent. If she dies, he can’t boast about who his wife is anymore. He’d probably also be upset he didn’t get to consumate the match and potentially sire Ironmakers with a claim to the Seastone Chair. 

Is it of any particular relevance that Lady Samantha Tarly’s mother was a Rowan?

It stood out to me as unusual in F&B that we get the name and house of Lady Sam’s mother, when we don’t know who Queen Alicent’s mother was, or what houses Queen Sharra Arryn and Lady Sharis Footly were originally from (or whether they were Arryn and Footly by birth). 

It seems likely that if there were any plot relevance to Lady Sam’s mother it would have come up when her… uncle? Lord Thaddeus was serving as Hand or being tortured by Lord Peake. 

Am I missing something? Or is this just a detail George had in mind and decided to include?